Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Probably would be easier if I would update my avatar picture on that other site. Now that I'm having pictures of myself taken again, maybe I will after our trip! Although man he sure was cute during that trip.

Not sure if these will be helpful for the cruise, but I got a couple of those sweater hanger holder things for closets. $3 each at Target in the dollar section. I hope they help us in this complicated trip beyond the cruise.

Here is as much of a pre-trip report as my brain can deal with, regarding the OTHER stuff.

Rooms:

2/5-7 PO Riverside - Royal River view room.
cruise
2/10-12 Hard Rock Hotel at relatively faboo AP rate.
2/12-15 AK Kidani 1 bedroom.
2/15-18 SSR 2 bedroom with the extended family!
2/18-20 VWL studio.

Whew!

Food:

nothing fully planned (apart from beignets on the 6th*, then Richter Veggie burgers at UO and giving potato leek soup at the Three Broomsticks another try at IOA) until...

2/13 MK, CRT lunch. My guys like princesses. DS notices that they are pretty, younger, females, and likes their attention. Unless they change their menu tomorrow, then the likelihood of us cancelling goes really high. The menu changes I've seen hinted at aren't really good.

2/14 DHS, Brown Derby for lunch (coconut tofu noodle bowl!) and then around 4pm have dessert and tea at the Tea Room at Grand Floridian.

2/15 AK, Tusker House lunch (SO excited, love that place).

2/16, no park planned, but Ladies Tea back at the Tea Room! Loved having tea with my girl-cousins and my aunt on our last WDW trip, and we're doing it again!

2/18 Epcot, Via Napoli for dinner.

2/19 O'Hana character breakfast at Robert's request for seeing-Stitch purposes.

*we were going to go to Epcot that day, ride a ride or two, eat at Sunshine Seasons, and have some school bread* & boozey slushies... But exploring Port Orleans is really calling my name. If we start our park days on the 6th, our Photopass Plus won't go until the 20th and our APs (DVC special) will only take us 6 days into Feb '14. That Feb is when we get access to points again (we've borrowed all but about 33 of them, LOL, so that Feb is when we can *borrow* from '15!). So I'm not sure that "snacks" qualifies as a reason to keep our APs from going much further into February 2014. Know what I mean?

So if we don't go to Epcot that first full day, we'll have beignets at Sassagoulas at PO French Quarter and then sightsee at our resort!

There. That's our pre-trip for the *rest* of the trip.

I hope the hangy thingies actually DO help for the cruise. I know they'll help everywhere else!

*does anyone else wish that WDW had a (free) service where a CM would run into a park and pick you up something like that? rather than you having to use a day from a ticket, or start an AP's use earlier than works best for you?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 01-01-2013 at 01:28 AM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

I spoiled myself by my first ever cruise being a 4 day Disney Magic (part of my Honeymoon to the parks) and it was so amazing I never felt like I could settle for another cruise line even though the price made me want to (so I could cruise more often). Then we took my boys on the inaugural Dream 3 day. I *thought* 3 day and 4 day cruising was great, and much more reasonable. Until I made the mistake of the Inaugural Fantasy (which only offered 7 days) It was SO much money ( family of 5, so we needed 2 staterooms!) but it was SO worth it. With the pre and post WDW visits, it was THE BEST VACATION I have ever had. Included everything, and had something for everyone.
Not sure if that makes your decision easier or harder But it is definitely a treat worthy of your big day.
hth-
AudreyKThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Got the cruise documents. And bought the wine for my aunt.

Need to buy some wine protector thingies, and pre-order Photopass Plus for the WDW part of the trip.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Got the ME stuff for our first part of the stay. This is the first time we'll actually use it! Not sure if we're *excited* about it, since we're getting in sooooo late, but it'll be a new thing.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Bought wine-shippy thing and protectors, ordering PP+ right now.

Robert still has to buy some clothes, unless he wants to have wardrobe malfunctions. Because he hasn't been on AS fast of a track to losing as I have, he feels like he hasn't lost much. I say, 37 is a lot, and he needs to buy some new clothes unless he WANTS to get arrested some day when his pants fall down! I don't want that day to be in the Bahamas.

I actually *might* need to buy some new clothes, because the size I have been probably isn't the size I should be in, as more and more people are telling me my drawers are droopy. Only Eamon doesn't seem to need clothes. Whew!

And all of a sudden Robert is crazy-busy at work. He's getting flack for having such a long trip planned, too. The trip that's been on the schedule for nearly 9 months, and they are finally noticing how long it is.

So much happening, so much to do, my head's gonna explode!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've started to get the packing lists going.

I've started to buy all new sizes in my clothes. It was definitely time. Robert's shopping trip is this weekend, fingers crossed for him! He's so nervous that it's all an illusion, that 37 lbs doesn't mean a new pants size is warranted.

Eamon talked himself into some new clothes, too. Hey, he's got to wear nice pants for dinner on the cruise, right?

Still figuring out the specifics of this wine that we bought. Check it in the special wine shipper boxy thing we got, but then we have to change it all out so we can carry it onboard. But the boxy thing (which has a box and a styrofoam thing inside it) looks like a cooler, so if we fill it with E's clothes and check that onto the ship, will it manage to get confiscated? It also has a picture of a wine bottle on it.

Blaaaaaaaah.

I should just start packing what I can and be HAPPY!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The other week/month Robert injured his achilles. I'm not sure when because I wasn't paying enough attention, and he doesn't always remind me of his injuries, and i'm just a terrible person.

Then last week-ish he did something that hurt his back. Took a morning off to see our chiro, was all fixed up, went outside to the sidewalk to go to work, and slipped on ice and fell on his rear. Very much injured. Last night I would have sworn he had broken something...his coccyx or even a hip, but it seems I'm wrong. Today he saw the acupuncturist, tomorrow he'll do the same and see the chiro, and hopefully they can get him all fixed up.

But I'm pricing out scooter rentals right now.

This is rotten.

And now we're a week out but I still haven't started packing. I'm preparing to pack, but I haven't done it yet.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #23
silence
Missin' Mickey

Molly,

I can't wait to hear all about your cruise and WDW trip. We are sailing out of FL for the first time in May. We aren't planning on doing the parks though (what a waste right?) but I can't justify pulling the kiddos out of school more than I already am. We are planning on staying at the Nick Suites prior to sailing on the Fantasy.

Silence

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

My son wants to stay at the Nick Hotel SO badly. I kind of forgot about it this time, though.

I can understand just doing the cruise if you have obligations! We homeschool so that makes it a lot easier. Then again, I realized today that DS will be missing up to 3 weeks of his "PE" classes at the Y, including his ballet class. Yikes. I gotta let them know.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 01-31-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #25
silence
Missin' Mickey

so already we have changed our plans!

We are staying the the Art of Animation and will do 1 day in 1 park. At first we thought we would do MK, now we are thinking Epcot. Who knows, I guess I have a couple of months left still to figure it out!

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #26
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

Not sure if I mentioned it in here, but I cancelled our cruise . Too much money for so much uncertainty. I could get us on the same cruise over spring break in '14 for $1,000 less, so it doesn't seem to make sense to me to spend $1,000 just to go this summer. Now, if prices drop and there is some sort of offer/deal available, I might just go ahead. But otherwise, I think we will try out a 4 day some day to see if we like it.

But your trip report will play a big part in my decision!! I have spent so much time reading trip reports, and all of them have helped in some way. So make sure you come back with details!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #27
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Hi there!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #28
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi Michele!

I haven't been on the DLR trip forum for a good while...how are things going?

If I had an overall trip report for this whole trip that commences tomorrow, I'd probably name it "this would be easier if Orlando had a Trader Joe's".

There are just things we need that feel a lot easier to buy here at TJ and transport cross country. Things we can get there...it's not like Emergen-C and cashews don't exist in Orlando. But it's a lot more expensive at Whole Foods than at TJ, and I don't *know* what they have at Publix. Add to it the issue of no car until we're back on land, and it just becomes a mess of "where to put the pre-weighed/ziplocbaggied cashews, and if I put the packets of vitamin powder in *there* will it get the bag searched?

Exhausting.

And my upper lip is numb because I had it waxed for the first time ever, YOUCH. It's not red anymore, thank goodness. I had half my day's errands *after* that...whoops!

Well we leave tomorrow, and hopefully I won't have some horrid upper lip reaction overnight.

Get in after midnight, go to Port Orleans Riverside. Have the 6th to play, then take the official bus to the Port on the 7th, and there we are.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #29
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Hi Molly! I am sure that I am missing you but I hope you have a ball!

The results to Scotty's second biopsy came back yesterday and he is cancer free!!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yay for Scotty!!!!!!!

I am typing from the Hard Rock Hotel. The guys are still sleeping and it's 10. I have been up since 6. But it's OK, they really needed the sleep.

The cruise was much much better than I thought it would be. Wait, that's not how I feel. How I feel, exactly, is that it was less annoying than I thought it would be. I'm a weird Disney fan...I just wanted the characters to go away lol.

I now understand why people want to know how their servers are doing and why they hope to get them again. If you like Indian food, the kitchen can make up some delicious curries etc. Great for those of us with different diets.

Concierge level was awesome and it would be painful to go without it lol. Thats even though I accidentally ate bacon that was inside and on top of (I thought it was onion) an "assorted bread" option in the lounge. Whoops.

I spent all day yesterday hoping that the ground would stop swaying. . And I am jealous of whoever is in "our" room right now.

The guys were first to meet JSparrow on Castaway. I did the 5K and my legs are still sore...ground is different than treadmill, and it is NOT perfectly flat out there! I would like to spend a week there, by the way. Lovely time.

Nassau, not so much. If I went there again I would get an excursion. We tried to walk around on our own but I didn't realize how nervous E would get about that. We didn't see much more than parliament and then basically turned around.

Anyway I am on an iPad which isn't fun so I don't want to tell everything, but it was nice and we know that we all really like cruising, even if Mickey isn't on board. It would be great if we could get Ludovic and Leslie from the dining room to switch cruise lines, but if not, that's OK. E saw an ad for Oasis of the Seas last night and started yearning to be onboard that ship, so it's all good.

Kids program, by the way, was really enjoyed by the kidlet. He had a blast!

But I wouldn't do a three day cruise again. Too short. Unrelaxing for us, hence them sleeping the Universal day away! I am going to have to start singing about butter beer soon......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: