Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
bluenosemickey
Canadian in search of sun

Help with snorkel excursion decision St. Thomas

We are an active family of 5 (10,12,15 kiddos).

We are trying to decide between the St. John Champagne Catamaran Sail and the Full day Snorkel and Sail trip to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach.

Both are reviewed favorably here on DIS but I'm wondering if anyone has done both? I'd decided on the Full day one until I realized it didn't take us to St. John. I'd just heard so often, "you MUST see the beaches on St. John" "they are truly paradise."

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
goofy1107
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenosemickey
We are an active family of 5 (10,12,15 kiddos).

We are trying to decide between the St. John Champagne Catamaran Sail and the Full day Snorkel and Sail trip to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach.

Both are reviewed favorably here on DIS but I'm wondering if anyone has done both? I'd decided on the Full day one until I realized it didn't take us to St. John. I'd just heard so often, "you MUST see the beaches on St. John" "they are truly paradise."

Thanks!
My wife and I just got back from turtle cove and honeymoon beach it was a blast the operators of the tour were great and there was so much to see if you choose that one you will love it too
goofy1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran

We just did the Champagne catamaran one and it was fun, but not nearly long enough. I'd originally booked the all day one and I'm really sorry I changed it. Our table mates did the all day one and they had fun, got lunch, and a t-shirt!

The problem with the catamaran one is you have to go across the island in an open air taxi (think old school bus) and that takes about 45 minutes. Too much wasted time (and the bumps were horrible on my back). The crew on the catamaran were fun, but it really was only about 1 hour in the water.

Also heard a good review on the Schooner one that is in the afternoon. That one also leaves from the port, so no cross country bus ride.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
carpenta
DIS Veteran

As Goofy 1107 stated the Honeymoon Cove is the BEST excursion we (my wife, my daughter 10yrs. old and myself have EVER taken in the eight Caribbean cruises so far. The crew is great and time on board a blast.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
ps17
DIS Veteran

The beaches in St. Johns are very worthwhile. For your consideration, you can also take a daysail over there. We did this a few times and it was great. To find contacts, just google "St John daysail" or try vinow.com or something to that effect.

Benefits to this are that you can custom your trip. Honeymoon Beach is great but it isn't the only beach. There are plenty of near-deserted coves that you can go to. In one of our trips, we had three stops - Honeymoon, another deserted area, and also another snorkle only channel where we "drift snorkled" and saw some differrent type of fish. Also with your own trip, you don't have to wait around for the entire group so you can optimize your day - jump off the Cruise - take a taxi or prearranged ride - get to dock and then the boat leaves when you are there - plus you can customize your return time.

Finally, most of the trips feature snacks and lunches - some of them gourmet type......
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
bluenosemickey

Thanks so much for the replies!

I think we will go ahead and try to book the full day sail. I had thought that the Champagne Sail looked too short for my liking. I also had concerns about the open air taxi. I would be fine, but I know my DH would not be happy about the rough ride. He can barely handle it when I drive!

Much as I would love to make my own plans, we are new to cruising and really like the idea of having Disney take care of getting us back to the ship. I know my DH would be preoccupied with when to leave and not enjoy himself nearly as much. Hopefully there will be a next time and we will make note of what is available at the port and talk to others on board about what they do.

As always, the smartest people are on DIS!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenosemickey View Post
Thanks so much for the replies!

I think we will go ahead and try to book the full day sail. I had thought that the Champagne Sail looked too short for my liking. I also had concerns about the open air taxi. I would be fine, but I know my DH would not be happy about the rough ride. He can barely handle it when I drive!

Much as I would love to make my own plans, we are new to cruising and really like the idea of having Disney take care of getting us back to the ship. I know my DH would be preoccupied with when to leave and not enjoy himself nearly as much. Hopefully there will be a next time and we will make note of what is available at the port and talk to others on board about what they do.

As always, the smartest people are on DIS!
On the snorkle ship they hand out rum punch....and it flows. For the kids they have non alchoholic of course.The crew was as if they were Disney employees they were so friendly. We were back in St.Thomas last year and took a "sail" on a schooner and we both looked at each other and said " boy this can't compare to the "Bones" (that was the ship we used for the Honeymoon beach snorkle). Thanks Bluenosemickey for bringing back some great memories. I hope your trip is a memorable one too.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
bluenosemickey

Ok, Rum Punch, I'm sold for sure!

Incidentally, the original "bluenose" was a famous schooner from here in Nova Scotia. I guess we are really destined to go with this choice. Not to mention, Nova Scotians are known to be rather fond of rum.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenosemickey View Post
Ok, Rum Punch, I'm sold for sure!

Incidentally, the original "bluenose" was a famous schooner from here in Nova Scotia. I guess we are really destined to go with this choice. Not to mention, Nova Scotians are known to be rather fond of rum.

We did a week on a schooner out of Rockland, Maine years ago. It was a great time. Sailing on one of those old ladies was a real treat. Love the Canadian Maritines and we travel east to Quebec City and enjoy that French culture that reminds you of Europe. Cheers to you and I can relate to the need for sun in the middle of winter.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to add that when we went on the St. John Champagne Catamaran Sail, they took us to Honeymoon Beach, and it was stunning. For us, the sail there and back was part of the fun. It was so relaxing! (The rum punch was also a HUGE plus!)

That being said, the full day sail and snorkel was fully booked when we booked our cruise about a month before the cruise date. Had it been available, we would've booked it because it offered more snorkeling time.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Forever a Princess
One bottle of ketchup is not enough!

We did the Champagne snorkel tour. The crew was fantastic. Sea Turtles were awesome to see when we were snorkeling.

We were not in the water for long though. Full day of snorkeling would be the better option in my opinion.

I hear ya' about booking through the cruise line. On our way back to the ship from the Champagne snorkel tour we got stuck in traffic on the open air taxi. Fifteen minute ride took over two hours. We made it back to the ship in plenty of time. That being said I kept thinking that "they'll wait for us if we don't make it back in time."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: