Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #31
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Definitely have some snacks with you. I bring peanut butter crackers--easy to dole out, not overly stimulting. These aren't meant as a substitute for "fun" snacks, but work great to tide kids over while waiting in line.

A few other random thoughts--

It's a lot easier to NOT tell kids until right before the trip, that they're going. I realize the cat is already out of the bag, but little kids have a tough time grasping a months-long wait. Obviously, you need to plan months out, but you don't have to say anything (save this for next time).

Along the same lines, the kids don't need the detailed itinerary. You might be thrilled to use MK evening EMH, for example. But, hold it in reserve. The day of, tell the kids that, if they have good behavior, and everyone takes a rest break, you can stay extra-late tonight. That way, if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, you aren't committed to staying.

Make sure that anyone with bad behavior earns a time-out. Even you! My kids love it when I say we need a break because Dad's getting crabby--it makes it clear that it can happen to anyone. Your "time-out" might consist of sitting on a bench eat a Dolewhip with the kids.

3 of the parks have places where kids can legitimately run around (Boneyard, Tom Sawyer Island, Honey I shrunk). If your girls have been standing in line a lot and are getting antsy, these are good places to head to.

It's easy for kids to get over-excited and a little wild. Tell the girls ahead of time--we're going to go to Fantasyland, and the first thing we'll do is sit and look around. Jane, you pick the first thing we do today. Ann, you pick the second thing. On the next day, naturally, Ann gets to pick first. This won't lead to optimal touring, but the more the kids see rewards for their good behavior, the better they're going to act.

I strongly encourage mid-day breaks.

Just so you know, I have 4 kids over an 11-year span. They are very used to taking turns. A trip to WDW for all of us requires slightly less planning than the invasion of Pearl Harbor. Obviously, no one person gets their way all the time, but it's very important to me to have some special things for each child. P.S. Even my teenagers ike a mid-day break when we're there during the hot months.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #32
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle74 View Post
I need to clarify... I've been planning on taking my twin girls (who will be turning 5) to Disney for their birthday in May. Originally I was going to bring grandma also but she's been butting heads with me over the trip.

I'm willing to try going on my own alone with the girls but I'm scared stiff of a few things... 1) that someone will get away from me (ie I have runners) and 2) that someone will want to ride a ride and someone won't or will be too scared.. 3) getting anywhere with them plus our luggage.. and heck going on a plane ALONE with my kids..

I wish that I could do this trip (heck any trip) with their Dad but he passed away almost 2 years ago so it's always going to be tough but I want to make this one special and I can't if I'm so stressed out..

So has anyone done Disney alone with kids or should I start recruiting for Grandma's replacement or keep working on getting Grandma to go with us?

TIA
First of all, I want to say that I'm sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you've been through.

It sounds like you're worried about handling your kids on your own since they may run off or get caught up in the excitement and not pay attention to where they're going and get lost. If those are real possibilities, then perhaps you should bring someone else (if grandma won't go) or postpone the trip until you're more certain of how they'll handle the excitement and crowds.

Why does your mom not want to go?

If you do go alone and you think you may have issues where one child wants to ride something and the other doesn't, then I'd suggest you explain the situation to them in advance so they're prepared that everyone rides or no one rides. It may be difficult though, with kids that age.

The plane should be fine and if you stay at a WDW resort and use DME to get from the airport to the resort, they will take care of the luggage for you.

I haven't done a whole trip by myself with my kids, but I did spend a day at MK alone with my kids when they were 9, 7, & 2. We had a few challenges that day, but for the most part it went very smoothly.

I wish you luck, whatever you decide!

P.S. I think jdcthree was just giving you her honest advice. She wasn't the only one to say that going alone while you're scared of the kids running off might not be a good idea, but she's the only one you seemed to have an issue with.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #33
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you this is all great advice. I totally need to get my girls into some water and teach them some basics for swimming.. and hope that the hotel (leaning towards All Stars Music) has a kiddie pool area.. I think I have some life jackets that we can bring just in case.
I have these for my girls. Last summer I took them (ages 3 & 5 at the time plus my 8 year old) swimming by myself a few times at WDW. They cannot swim without them, but with them they can swim around all over the place. For safety, I still get in the water with them and stay close by. The first time they used them, the girls were a little uneasy (we used them at a friends' house before we used them at WDW), but by the end of their first use, they felt comfortable. They were well worth the money spent and allowed me to enjoy time in the pool instead of just being a big ball of stress!

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #34
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

Never mind.

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014

Last edited by JJsmama; 01-06-2013 at 01:04 AM.
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #35
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Life jackets are available to borrow at all the Disney resorts; you don't have to bring one from home.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you.. I do have backpacks with leashes... need to find them. My mother might be coming around on going with us... so this whole thread might be a moot point.

Thank you for your advice.
You are welcome and I hope she does go with you to help. I am a single parent (not due to death) and I know how scarey it is to take just 1 runner with me. I couldn't imagine taking 2 but like I said the harness worked great and she and I were both happy.

My dad died when I was a child and I know how hard my mom had it. Keep your head up.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #37
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
Your kids are going to be 5 and you're worried about them running? Wow.
Problem with it?? Seriously some kids are runners even at 5/6.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #38
Kemorr
Mouseketeer

I will be taking my 3 kids by myself later this year. DH will be on a long business trip, so I decided to get out of the house and go. My DH thinks I am crazy, but I think it will be OK. I also have twins, they will turn 5 two days before we leave and then I will have a 6 year old who will be 7 two weeks after we return. We went last year and tried to do a lot. For my upcoming trip, I am going to try to lower expectations and just do what we can. I've taken all 3 of my kids solo to places like 6 Flags and museums etc since my twins were toddlers but this will be the first time for an extended period of time. Strategies I'm planning on to make things easier are staying at Bay Lake Towers, it is on the monorail and within walking distance to MK. This will minimize bus travel (can be tough with a stroller) and minimize need to rent car (and have to lug car seats to Orlando). Use Magic Express, so don't have to handle luggage after check in at home airport. Rent a double stroller for the twins with a buggy board for the 6 year old to keep kids close while moving through the parks. Make ADRs that are convenient to get to, either in the park we will be in that day or at one of the monorail resorts, no traveling to DTD or bus resorts for ADRs. My kids are pretty good at staying with me, but I will put ID safety bands on them just in case and go over the rules etc. it will be different from when we did it with 2 adults but I think it will be just as fun!
Kemorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #39
Belle74
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
Life jackets are available to borrow at all the Disney resorts; you don't have to bring one from home.
Thanks for letting me know... more in suitcases now...
Belle74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: