Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #166
Mouseketeers4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
I am being way to optimistic, or perhaps I am niave, but in reading the NYT aticle I gathered that the old system with paper based tickets would still be in place. Maybe the ticket media changes from paper to a wristband, but the idea that you show up one day buy a ticket and walk in the park, then there will still be FP's available to you in the same manner they are available today. If so then I could very easily believe that as a wristband user who has preplanned you 3 FP's that you would still be able to acquire more during the day, they would just have to fit into the schedule of you pre acquired ones. ie you preplan FP's for three rides first thing in the morning (although why I don't know because they are more valuble later in the day, but hey it's just an example) as soon as the ride time for you last FP is reached, let's say 11:00 am, then you become effectively the same as everyone else who bought a ticket that day and are eligible under the same rules as today to get a FP. On the other hand if you schedule you 3 preplanned ones to sart at say 6:00 pm then the ride time for your last FP gotten the old way have to be prior to 6:00pm. So all you are getting in the new system is a way to preplan three rides a day and then do the rest of the day the same way you do it today.

I will not get caught up in bashing the new system till we see it in all it's glory. The article says the implementation of the system is costing a lot and the only way the Board approved it was because they justified it would increase revenues via increased attendence and increased guest spending. The real kicker is that you are now wearing on you wrist you park admission, room key and credit card. Loss of such will prompt immediate action to stop the finder from using it. Lost kids are easier to find because all a CM has to do is scan the band and it will identify their location and name. Parents looking for kids will get immediate feedback on the childs location.

Regardless good bad or indifferent, it is coming.
I haven't been through all the replies yet so maybe someone beat me to it, but you can't use the FastPass+ system and the regular FastPass system. It's one or the other (for as long as the old system is still around). For the +, you will get whatever ones you reserve for your wristband and that's it. You can't also go and collect more regular, paper fast passes while you're in the park. You'll have to ride standby for any rides you didn't pre-plan for FastPass. There are also a lot of limitations as to which rides you can choose because of the way they group them. Each day's FastPasses have to be all for the same park too.

3 1
Mouseketeers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #167
Sammie
DIS Veteran

The thing is, if you don't like it, don't use it.

So really the choice is up to the guest.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #168
doggydoc
It's not a midlife crisis I'm just a car enthusiast.....honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseketeers4 View Post
I haven't been through all the replies yet so maybe someone beat me to it, but you can't use the FastPass+ system and the regular FastPass system. It's one or the other (for as long as the old system is still around). For the +, you will get whatever ones you reserve for your wristband and that's it. You can't also go and collect more regular, paper fast passes while you're in the park. You'll have to ride standby for any rides you didn't pre-plan for FastPass. There are also a lot of limitations as to which rides you can choose because of the way they group them. Each day's FastPasses have to be all for the same park too.
Where did you get this information? From all the reading I've done the 3 FastPass+ limitation refers to scheduled fastpasses. If it says somewhere that it's 3 FP's period please provide a link. Obviously this is the direction Disney is taking FP's in the future for everyone. I just find it hard to believe that limiting FP's will improve lines and waiting times. I also don't see this as beneficial for selling of park hoppers since you have to pick your 3 FP's in one park.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #169
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post

It's not as easy as that. The old FP and standby system is not static. Every move they make with the new system affects those other systems. The mere presence of the FP+ system did a number on the standby wait for Enchanted Tales with Belle on our December trip, which was during the last FP+ test. It made a very slow moving line even slower. With every body they prioritize over me, the standby line moves even slower. Likewise, with every FP slot they take out of the old FP system, it will be harder to get one same day in the parks, even if that system still exists.

And I'm pretty doubtful that the traditional FP system will be here indefinitely.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #170
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
It's not as easy as that. They old FP and standby system is not static. Every move they make with the new system affects those other systems. The mere presence of the FP+ system did a number on the standby wait for Enchanted Tales with Bell on our December trip, which was during the last FP+ test. It made a very slow moving line even slower. With every body they prioritize over me, the standby line moves even slower. Likewise, with every FP slot they take out of the old FP system, it will be harder to get one same day in the parks, even if that system still exists.

And I'm pretty doubtful that the traditional FP system will be here indefinitely.
I did not say the implementation of it would not change things, I said the choice to use it or not, is up to the guest.

It is what it is and the guest has to decide whether to participate or not.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #171
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Nope. They did not publish my comment after moderation. I didn't use any bad words - I promise. They did publish some comments of detractors, however. I will give them that.

Yes, we do have a choice to participate or not. We have a choice whether we want to spend more money to enjoy less of what we like to do or not - I think unless they find a way to make the standby lines shorter without trying to trick us with interactive queues and shiny bracelets, they will find that the repeat guests will be less and less. Less AP renewals - less sales of DVC, etc.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #172
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Nope. They did not publish my comment after moderation. I didn't use any bad words - I promise. They did publish some comments of detractors, however. I will give them that.

Yes, we do have a choice to participate or not. We have a choice whether we want to spend more money to enjoy less of what we like to do or not - I think unless they find a way to make the standby lines shorter without trying to trick us with interactive queues and shiny bracelets, they will find that the repeat guests will be less and less. Less AP renewals - less sales of DVC, etc.
Even if Mr. Potato Head starts telling jokes in the TSMM ride queue and using your name in the jokes?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #173
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc

Where did you get this information? From all the reading I've done the 3 FastPass+ limitation refers to scheduled fastpasses. If it says somewhere that it's 3 FP's period please provide a link. Obviously this is the direction Disney is taking FP's in the future for everyone. I just find it hard to believe that limiting FP's will improve lines and waiting times. I also don't see this as beneficial for selling of park hoppers since you have to pick your 3 FP's in one park.
Read it here,
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/med...onditions.html

Once you sign up for Fastpass+ you are limited to one park per day using the Fastpass+ system and will not be able to use the regular FastPass system at that park or any other park you hoop to. However It doesn't specifically says 3 passes per experience.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #174
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I think you are being snarky & I don't appreciate the tone of your post, in spite of the emoticons. The posts I quoted above *are* sound & reasonable. Who are you to suggest, otherwise? I don't have to "agree" with a post to consider it sound -- that's a very immature and rude thing to say, but typical. I have every right to like and appreciate what I wan't on these boards without ridicule. It's funny how I don't care about what anyone else thinks -- people are entitled to their own opinion. I would appreciate it, going forward if you & your "buddy(s)" focus your negativity elsewhere! Thanks so much!

You can think what you want, but my history on here tends to be pretty caring, kind, open to people's opinions, etc. I was actually including all of us on here with my comment - don't we all think people are "sound" when we agree with them? Its okay with me if you think it was immature and rude, but rude was not what I meant. I'm not sure who you are referring to when you say my buddys though . And I wasn't being negative when I wrote it, but again, I can't change what you think or believe. One more thing - I don't tend to lie. If I say I'm not being snarky, I'm not. Take it for what its worth. Oh yeah, one more thing - I was actually enjoying reading your opinions all along and I wasn't being negative when I was reading them either.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #175
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Even if Mr. Potato Head starts telling jokes in the TSMM ride queue and using your name in the jokes?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #176
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post

I don't think everyone sees it as spending more to enjoy less. We are DVC, and annual pass holders and go at least twice a year for week long or longer trips. This will not change that.

I don't even remember the last time I even got a Fastpass and now possibly due to being able to book it in advance I probably will.

As to whether it will be successful, time will be the deciding factor on that.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #177
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronInWI View Post
Meh, I'm going to hold off until people actually start using it before passing judgement. Right now, my biggest concern is the tan line that I'll get on my wrist.
I'm so glad its not just me concerned by that!
I really want to know whether it is 3 per day or 3 full stop? It doesnt make sense to me that someone with a 3 day ticket and someone with a 10 day ticket get the same....

I have seen alot of negative comments being amde about Disney tracking people-I think generally its a good thing. If Disney can see how people are moving, where they are waiting the longest, what is the most popular they can better manage the crowds and staff to suit.
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #178
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think everyone sees it as spending more to enjoy less. We are DVC, and annual pass holders and go at least twice a year for week long or longer trips. This will not change that.

I don't even remember the last time I even got a Fastpass and now possibly due to being able to book it in advance I probably will.

As to whether it will be successful, time will be the deciding factor on that.
And there's the difference. We are DVC too - but since we've been living on the West Coast, we go less often. It was about every 2 years, but we've been saving our points and money and have just moved. So with grown children, we are about to take the trip I've been dreaming of for several years. We don't have the luxury to just stroll around and hope there is something we want to do - it is hard to get everyone together at once, not to mention the cost. For many families this is something they only do once or twice while raising their children - we've only done it once with our boys - 16 years ago, with college and work schedules, etc. So it is important to us that we experience as much as possible while we are there. We knew how to get to the park early, pull FP for everything - we did not usually ride anything more than once, but we got to do all of the big rides without standing around in the heat all day. We do have an emotional attachment to Disney, and want to share it with our kids and grandkids.
Again - with all of their advertising about making "Magical memories for familes" etc. - all they really want is more money - if this plan makes more money, it will succeed. If not, they'll try something else.

Last edited by MAGICFOR2; 01-09-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #179
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The eventual choice will be use FP+ or wait in a standby line. Nice choice. I suppose another choice is to go some place else where you don't have to wait in a standby line all day. Say like onsite at Universal.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #180
Dean1972
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc

FastPass+ terms and conditions are listed in the new app " my Disney experience" which I downloaded yesterday.
The previous poster is correct. Unfortunately only 3FP+ per day & limited to 1 park per day.
The terms & conditions also stipulated that accessing the new FP+ , you will not be able to also access the existing FP.
Paper tickets will also be able to be upgraded to the new Magic-band RFID technology which stores details such as resort key, ADR'S, FP+ selections, dining plan, credit card details.
Dean1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: