Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

To me, there are two things that most distinguish a deluxe from a moderate resort at Disney: 1) non-bus transportation options to at least one park and 2) balconies on rooms. Swan/Dolphin meets both those criteria with 1) the boats or walking to EPCOT and DHS and 2) at least some (or all - I'm not sure) of their rooms have balconies.

Other amenities are nice (and S/D certainly has them), but the above 2 factors make it a deluxe in my book.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle72 View Post
I've stayed at Dolphin 3x, Swan 1x and Disney deluxes-BC, YC, WL, Poly, Contemporary. It is def a deluxe and feels Disney to me- we've always had a view of the Boardwalk, it has a Disney themed gift shop. It is right in the middle of the action between HS and Epcot. We love it. We are trying the BWI this trip because we want to try all the deluxes and it keeps our Disney trips fresh. Wouldn't hesitiate to book at S/D again though!
I agree. And it's not just a Disney-themed gift shop, it's an actual Disney gift shop. You can have purchases from Disney parks shipped to the Disney gift shop at the Dolphin.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Li View Post
We stayed at Dolphin September 2012 and it was great! Loved the location and all the restaurant choices so nearby. Honestly though I was a little jealous about the people posting about towel animals from mousekeeping from Disney resorts. We didn't get those staying at dolphin. Also, sometimes it can be crowded because many businesses/organizations hold conferences there. But overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
I've had towel animals 3 times in 37 years at Disney World resorts.

The Swan/Dolphin are definitely deluxe resorts. There are 17 restaurants between them ranging from the very moderately priced to pretty ultra.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
slissemouse
Earning My Ears

Emh?

IF you stay at the Swan/Dolphin you don't have access to EMH, is that right? I value that little bit of extra time, so I am trying to decide between the Swan/Dolphin vs. a WDW resort.
slissemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slissemouse View Post
IF you stay at the Swan/Dolphin you don't have access to EMH, is that right? I value that little bit of extra time, so I am trying to decide between the Swan/Dolphin vs. a WDW resort.
You do have EMH.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
You do have EMH.
Correct. The only thing you do not get is ME which can be a deal breaker for those flying in. You also do not get a KTTWC that allows charging in the parks. We get around this by just getting a disney gift card before we leave and using that.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
Correct. The only thing you do not get is ME which can be a deal breaker for those flying in. You also do not get a KTTWC that allows charging in the parks. We get around this by just getting a disney gift card before we leave and using that.
My niece flew and was meeting us. She got a shred ride through Mears. It was $20 or $30.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
nessz79
DIS Veteran

Deluxe! We love Swan/Dolphin, especially when they offer a good Teacher's rate. We wouldn't be able to stay deluxe otherwise.

I agree with the PP that said that it feels just as Disney as other hotels- you can see Epcot from the hotel, walk to Hollywood Studios, have the view of all the other Epcot resorts, hear the sound of the boat horn each morning (such a Disney sound!), they have a Disney gift shop, etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Swan Hotel August 2011 for a few nights just before staying at the Poly Club Level. The Swan is Deluxe with no doubt! It is a great location as you are right in the middle of Epcot (walk) and Hollywood Sudios (walk or boat). I felt very much at Disney, but my wife felt some of the Disney magic was not there at the Swan Hotel Resort. I thought the magic was there, though. We booked under some other special that was less than the teacher discount. I think it was the AAA discount that was cheaper than the teacher discount (at the time). So, check around a little to make sure that your teacher discount brings your cost down the most. But, it's a great price for a Deluxe Hotel. Right? Have fun.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: