Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Proper way to decorate Fantasay cabin for birthday?

Ok, so I know I've seen tons of posts that say we cannot use adhesives...but I don't ever remember seeing what we CAN use. Help please.

What exactly are the walls made of? Can I use a thumb tack or very small straight pin or would that ruin the surface?

I've also seen people mention hanging magnets up inside their rooms - is this just on the doors?

I want to follow the rules and don't want to damage or cause our stateroom attendant any extra work at all, but I would like to decorate the night before my daughter's 13th birthday!

thanks for suggestions
Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post
Ok, so I know I've seen tons of posts that say we cannot use adhesives...but I don't ever remember seeing what we CAN use. Help please.

What exactly are the walls made of? Can I use a thumb tack or very small straight pin or would that ruin the surface?

I've also seen people mention hanging magnets up inside their rooms - is this just on the doors?

I want to follow the rules and don't want to damage or cause our stateroom attendant any extra work at all, but I would like to decorate the night before my daughter's 13th birthday!

thanks for suggestions
DCL requests that all decorations be attached with magnets. For the most part, the walls, doors, and ceilings all have metal parts. There are DCL decorations that you can purchase that they may attach using tape/adhesive, but we are asked not to do that.

Any damages (paint removal from tape/adhesives, holes from thumbtacks/pins) could be charged to your onboard account.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
oatway
Earning My Ears

I'm sure you could use a little bit of masking tape and no one would ever know.
oatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatway
It says no adhesives .... Masking tape is an adhesive. Why even try it .. DCL ask guests not to!
There are plenty of things the op could tie things to inside the room with cotton or string, or there's magnets.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatway View Post
Why would one choose to do specifically what DCL has asked them to not do? No adhesives = no adhesives.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
The cabin attendant would notice it.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Ok, yes, no adhesives, and I've already said I wouldn't use anything like tape.

I know this is still technically an adhesive, but I wonder if the 3M products have left any marks, I use them in my home all the time with no issues at all, or residue.

I basically bought some banner type birthday announcement and will probably take a lot of string with me to tie them across the room.

So, are the Fantasy walls metal or drywall or some kind of fabric covering?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
know this is still technically an adhesive, but I wonder if the 3M products have left any marks
They can, I have seen it happen.

You will not be able to stick pins into the walls. In fact I would definitely advise against it.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love280mickey View Post
Ok, yes, no adhesives, and I've already said I wouldn't use anything like tape.

I know this is still technically an adhesive, but I wonder if the 3M products have left any marks, I use them in my home all the time with no issues at all, or residue.

I basically bought some banner type birthday announcement and will probably take a lot of string with me to tie them across the room.

So, are the Fantasy walls metal or drywall or some kind of fabric covering?
I think that pretty much answers the question. I wouldn't use it.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
carolinamom
Mouseketeer

Little suction cup hooks would be ok for the mirrors and could anchor a hanging decor or some streamers, you could bring a few balloons to blow up, and the "celebrations" packages offered online are great- your cabin is decorated as you walk in. I'd do some magnetic clips to anchor the top and bottom of some twisted crepe paper streamers on your stateroom door. We did this once and it makes a huge impact-
Have fun!! :-)
carolinamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamom View Post
Little suction cup hooks would be ok for the mirrors and could anchor a hanging decor or some streamers, you could bring a few balloons to blow up, and the "celebrations" packages offered online are great- your cabin is decorated as you walk in. I'd do some magnetic clips to anchor the top and bottom of some twisted crepe paper streamers on your stateroom door. We did this once and it makes a huge impact-
Have fun!! :-)
Balloons are not permitted onboard:

QuestionWhat items are not permitted on board?
AnswerIn order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.
•Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances
•Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons
•Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
•Non prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
•Power Tools and Tool boxes (except those tools of the trade utilized by vendors providing services)
•Sporting equipment (i.e., baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment.)
•SCUBA equipment (i.e., tanks, spears guns /slings, dive knives, pry bar, and underwater scooter)
•Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons

Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
gunka
DIS Veteran

My wife used the suction cups with the hooks to decorate for our dd's birthday. She used them in the room and on the door. This along with magnets (On the door) made for a very nice surprise for our dd, she loved it.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
carolinamom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the note re balloons!!
What about those paper balls that pop open (similar to a paper lantern)- our party store has those with a tiny LED light inside- they collapse totally flat
The TRIP will certainly be a good one! Who could ask for a better way to celebrate!
carolinamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: