Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #226
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

A Float By!

After our playground adventure, and now that we were finally back inside the gates of the high-security pool area, it was time to relax and enjoy this awesome pool complex!

Sarah was off to the kiddie area!

She loved it, squirts and splashes galore!

The big kids and Ron headed for the Lazy River first.

You have to have a tube in the Lazy River. They do provide plenty of tubes in both a smaller child size and larger adult size for everyones use.

At first, Sarah was not too happy about leaving the kiddie area to ride the lazy river.

Looking up at the lush tropical landscaping as we float by!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 01-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #227
nenner1

A Float By! (Part 2)

When we reached the slide area, we decided to hop on!

This slide is serious business. It is 248 feet long and it moves FAST. It’s also a long climb up, Really long! But the payoff is worth it. This is an awesome slide!

And look at the view!

Looking down at the huge sundeck from the slide platform:

And beyond, towards the coastline:

Here is a POV video! Enjoy the ride!

We just had so much fun out here! Loved this resort!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #228
nenner1

A Float By! (Part 3)

The view from behind the waterfall:

Even the showers are cool-made out of surfboards!
And look- Sarah takes out an “unsuspecting” Ron!

For those curious, there is a large pool restroom/locker/changing room building accessible directly from the pool deck (inside the gates):

Here’s a peek inside.

And here is that concrete expanse of a sundeck.

Way too freakin’ hot to be up there today:

The large pool was fairly empty, with the exception of the volleyball area. There were games going on there most of the day. In retrospect it wasn’t the greatest place to have chosen a table and lounge chairs as the balls were flying out all the time. Not a huge deal though because we were mostly in the pool. Ron Jon has 43.000+ square feet of pool area and deck space!

As lunch time approaches. Sarah gets a little cranky. OK , she got a lot cranky. Let’s eat already!

You can order food from the Ron Jon Surf Grill for pickup via the Pool Bar. There is the restaurant proper inside if you prefer a sit-down experience (cover ups/clothing required) but if you just want to eat at your table or chairs outside you can get a menu and order at the bar.

Here is my big TR fail: I forgot to take a picture of the RJR pool bar menu. I’m sorry! The menu itself was a one-page laminated sheet you pick up at and return to the bar. It is rather simple, basic American fare: sandwiches, burgers, chicken tenders, and pizza. The prices were a little bit high but not totally unreasonable (I think a burger might have been around $10, possibly a bit more). The family at the table next to ours had gotten a pizza- it looked and smelled fantastic and the price was great considering the amount of food. It was probably about a 12” pizza. The cost was around $8- not bad at all. We decided to get one of those and share it, along with the snacks we had at the table. It was good!

Mmm..pizza and cheetos. Healthy, it’s not. <shrug>

Guess they liked it. No complaints.

We also decided to get a kids’ grilled cheese and fries plate for me (you do have to be with a child under 12 to buy a kids’ meal), the price for that was, I believe $5.99.

The sandwich alone was enough for me. Grilled cheese is always good as far as I’m concerned, and this one was no exception! It came with a small amount of crispy french fries- (it is a kids meal after all)- perfect portion. Excellent value, you just need a kid with you!

With my kids meal I also opted for a very expensive frou-frou tropical drink. I forget exactly what was called- something like Strawberry Delight. It was basically a Vanilla Slushy (supposedly made with cake flavored Vodka) with a Strawberry Daiquiri swirled in. It was a little weak on the booze and for $12 I wanted it to pack a bit of a punch. It had delicious flavor though. Just not a lot of alcohol.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #229
nenner1

A Float By! (Part 4)

So after lunch, we were just hanging out at the table chillaxin’ and all of the sudden something blocked the sun. This was no passing cloud, however. We all looked up and were shocked to see appearing to be gliding by almost directly over us:

The Carnival Dream!

We had never seen a ship sail in our out from the Ron Jon and surely had no idea why the Dream (or the CDream as I like to call it- no relation to the DDream) would be sailing by at this time of day. We would find out later is was just pulling in, returning to port from a dry dock (to install the Funship 2.0 upgrades for those of you familiar with Carnival)

This was super exciting! It caused quite a buzz across the pool deck with everyone wondering what was going on. And there she goes, down the channel down to her dock.

All this, and it was still only mid-afternoon! How about a trip to the beach?

Up next: Beating the Storm and a Non-Meet Dis-Meet

Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #230
Dan29racing
Earning My Ears

Yay!!! Although I had to go back and re-read the last post to remember where we left off!!! haha
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #231
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan29racing View Post
Yay!!! Although I had to go back and re-read the last post to remember where we left off!!! haha
I did too! LOL!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #232
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

You started up again!! That resort has an amazing pool complex. Loved the POV slide video!

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #233
SigalTchelet
Mouseketeer

Great pics! Looks like SOOOOOO much fun! Sarsh is adorable-even when grumpy! Pov photo looks fun! Thanks for updating!

Siggy aka Jill
Siggy's Fantastic Fantasy PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081866
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort 1994
Disneyland: Many times in my childhood, October 1976, March 1977, June 16, 1977 (Grad Night), severasl times in the 80's, August 1991, October 3, 2009 (50th Birthday), May 2010, October 2010, February 2011, May 2011, October 2011

SigalTchelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #234
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Total fun surprise to see the CDream! We have often toyed with the idea of staying at Ron Jon, but would really love to have an oceanfront room, which is not happening with less than a week's stay, unfortunately (wish Ron Jon would change that rule!).

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #235
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Holy updates Batman!!!!

The pool area looks like it could provide lots of hours of fun for kids. Claire would be in HEAVEN!

The pizza looks darn good. My soup I ate earlier is now fading fast and a nice pizza would do the trick!

How cool to see the Dream. That ship isn't that old, I am surprised they had to drydock it already. That is the one Carnival ship I would like to try.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #236
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Loved the update!

Looks like y'all were having a terrific time at the resort pool! That place really seems like a destination in itself.

And how cool that you got to see another cruise ship pulling in!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #237
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile **** UPDATES & MORE, OH mY!! ****

1) finally got my wine issue figures out.

2) your pool pics are just fab!!
hmmmmm......makes me wanna re-think 2014 and my vacation plans!!

3) ok....the pizza - regular crust or deep dish??

Like yer updates.

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #238
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

Wow that resort had a nice looking pool complex! Might have to try to stay there if we ever take a cruise.

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #239
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

I love your report!

Your kids are too cute!!!

what camera do you use for underwater. Ours bite the dust on our last cruise and we are looking at a new "tough" series.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #240
nenner1

Just a quick pop in to reassure ya'll that I am indeed back for good. I am working on the next part but posting will be a tad sporadic this week as I am finishing up <ahem> an online class. It is boring as all get out and I keep falling asleep during it.

So, not a tease...more coming! Soon! Now it's time for a nap, I mean class!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: