Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #31
wisblue
DIS Veteran

The DVC purchase process ended up being a pretty easy decision for me because by that time it was pretty obvious that, even though Sarah and her sisters were grown or growing up, they still loved visiting WDW. So, I had no apprehension about making a 49 year purchase because I figured at least one of them would be more than happy to use the points for many years to come.

After studying how the membership works and comparing the cost of getting a room using points to the cost of paying for a comparable room the traditional way, I determined that the savings would be substantial. I figured that the membership would allow us to make more frequent visits at a much lower cost, and it definitely has worked out that way so far for us.

The toughest part of the process was deciding how many points to buy because that is a function of how often you want to visit and what time of the year you go. I knew that with Sarah and Claire both in education they might have to visit during school beaks, so I picked a number of points that would cover about 2 trips every 3 years during a busy time of the year (Easter or Christmas).

At first we were banking points every year because we ended up taking trips at less busy times, but with Emma's DCP terms we have used up the points, and have pretty much fully borrowed them. We have made a lot more trips to WDW than I imagined when we bought the membership. I have thought about getting more points, but am reluctant to make that commitment unless Emma decides to stay in Florida on a longer term basis. In the meantime I have decided that we can stay at the value resorts if we use up all of our points.

Buying DVC requires a thorough analysis of what you can afford and how committed you are to taking regular Disney vacations. While the points can be used at other places, you really don't get anywhere near the bang for your buck if you use them that way.

I can say that the DVC purchase has been a great value for us, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense for everyone. I see the DVC as our "vacation home" but without the aggravation of having to take care of the property.
wisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I totally count the resorts as attractions. But I'm more into the "little things" than the big name attractions, anyhow.

The "new" Test Track is getting really mixed reviews, but hubby's a big Tron fan so I'm guessing he'll like it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Fantasyland expansion, too.
It is always fun going to see what the different resorts are like. I guess they are also attractions!

That's what I've been seeing too. Some people really seem to love it and others not so much. I'm anxious to try it out for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
The look back at your first trip 'home' was so fun! That giant inflatable Timon and Pumbaa is awesome!! I bet the Year of A Million Dreams was incredible.
Thanks! The YOAMD was cool...we might've had a couple other magical moments during that celebration too...
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
wdwgirl03

Hi DIS friends! I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. Just wanted to post a quick update saying that we are 85 days away from our trip now...YEAH! Love that it's less than 3 months now.

Also, Emma is now a week away from heading down to begin her College Program, which is also hard to believe. I'm excited for her and am looking forward to living vicariously through all of her experiences again.

Anyway, I wanted to share my new notebook with you. I got the idea from Tammy (aka OneTreeHillAddict). She posted something about various photo books she and her family have made for their trips and I thought that I needed to do that too. So I went onto Shutterfly and created this:

I think it turned out pretty cute! They have all different colors and layouts, and you can choose either lined or blank paper. Now I can write down notes from our trip (and also future trips). I may also use it to get a few character autographs (thanks again to Tammy for that idea!).

Stay tuned for my next DVC flashback and park must-dos!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #34
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

So cute!!! That was a great idea that she had.

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Nice flashback on the 2006 trip!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Your trip is coming up so soon! It's exciting having it ahead of you even though it seems as if it's taking forever now. It's sad because we don't know when we'll be there the next time. April would've been a good week (haha, DISmeet #3?), but Howard's sister is getting married as is my brother around that time. His sister and my almost sister-in-law are also both in education, so that's why they chose times close to that week.

I can't wait to see all the pics you take while you're there!!!

BTW I'd love to stay updated with Emma's blog if you don't mind posting the link or sending it to me!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
RachelNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
jwwi
DIS Veteran

Really cute photo notebook. It is a really great idea for writing all your notes, that way you can keep doing TR's.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #38
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

I'm here!!!

How did I miss this!!!! I need to get my butt caught up with everything here!

I have PDD bad! I'll feel better once I can confirm my Nov dates later this month.
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

Love the notebook, Sarah! That is such a creative idea! And I love how you have a picture from each park. Just seeing some of those photos when you're in a different park or in the room will make writing the notes that much more enjoyable. (:
PlutosRHM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #40
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

I'm here!!

Jealous of BLT!!!

Can't wait to follow along! I'd love to follow Emma's blog as I have lived her life and still continue to live it haha!!! Let me know!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #41
wdwgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
So cute!!! That was a great idea that she had.
I know, I loved that idea. Can't wait to put the notebook to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Nice flashback on the 2006 trip!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Your trip is coming up so soon! It's exciting having it ahead of you even though it seems as if it's taking forever now. It's sad because we don't know when we'll be there the next time. April would've been a good week (haha, DISmeet #3?), but Howard's sister is getting married as is my brother around that time. His sister and my almost sister-in-law are also both in education, so that's why they chose times close to that week.

I can't wait to see all the pics you take while you're there!!!

BTW I'd love to stay updated with Emma's blog if you don't mind posting the link or sending it to me!
That is a bummer you don't know when you'll be going back but hey, you guys sure had a Disney-filled year and got to put your APs to good use. It would've been fun to meet in April again, haha! Maybe in 2014?

Oh, I'm sure I'll take a lot of pictures. So excited!

OK, I'm sure Emma would love to have another follower on her blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
Really cute photo notebook. It is a really great idea for writing all your notes, that way you can keep doing TR's.
Thank you! I do love how it turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
I'm here!!!

How did I miss this!!!! I need to get my butt caught up with everything here!

I have PDD bad! I'll feel better once I can confirm my Nov dates later this month.
Hi Carey! Glad you found my new PTR!

Yes, it is always better once you have something booked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
Love the notebook, Sarah! That is such a creative idea! And I love how you have a picture from each park. Just seeing some of those photos when you're in a different park or in the room will make writing the notes that much more enjoyable. (:
Hi Timmy! Thank you! Yeah, I tried to find a nice picture from all of the parks so I'm glad you noticed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
I'm here!!

Jealous of BLT!!!

Can't wait to follow along! I'd love to follow Emma's blog as I have lived her life and still continue to live it haha!!! Let me know!!!
Hi Megan!

haha, I'm jealous of your upcoming cruise!

OK, I'll get the link for you!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I noticed your name kept popping up in the comments on other TR's I'm reading, so I clicked the link for your April TR and just caught up reading the whole thing! You are your dad were serious commandos making it to so many 7 am EMH!! But I guess when you are visiting at a busy time, that is the best way to do it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your TR (especially your KTTK recap, DH and I loved that tour!), so I figured I should join in for your next one! I can't believe it's already 2013, and your trip is right around the corner!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
wdwgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I noticed your name kept popping up in the comments on other TR's I'm reading, so I clicked the link for your April TR and just caught up reading the whole thing! You are your dad were serious commandos making it to so many 7 am EMH!! But I guess when you are visiting at a busy time, that is the best way to do it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your TR (especially your KTTK recap, DH and I loved that tour!), so I figured I should join in for your next one! I can't believe it's already 2013, and your trip is right around the corner!
WOW, that's awesome you read my April TR! Yes, we really do love the early openings (7 am may sound crazy but it's the best!) and can't wait to do it again this trip. Thanks for joining in...so happy to have another reader. I see you have a TR going too so I'm going to join in on yours.
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #44
wdwgirl03

Happy Friday! 80 days until Disney World! It still feels a long way off but at the same time it feels like it's coming up fast. Though not as fast as Emma's move-in day. She and my parents leave SUNDAY and she checks in next Tuesday. Ahhh! I seriously don't know why I didn't do the College Program when I was in college. Anyway...

I was thinking about doing a game where people could try to guess what ADRs we made for our trip but have decided I'm not very creative when it comes to making up clues. Plus we don't have very many of them. So instead I'll just go ahead and share them with you.

If you've read my other TRs, you probably know that we are not ADR people. I know a lot of DISers love their ADRs but we've just never gotten all that crazy about them. I don't know, we just don't like having to have our meals dictate where we go on certain days. Plus, I'm a picky eater. So our family usually ends up sticking to the quick service places (and more often than not we will end up splitting things). For this trip we made two ADRs, which by our standards is a lot. One of them is an old favorite and the other will be a new experience for us!

Our first ADR is at the 50's Prime Time Café!!

We've eaten here a couple times and have always enjoyed it. It's been a few years since I was last there. I think Emma might've gone again during her last CP and that made me want to go back. The food is pretty good and you can't beat the theming! It's always entertaining when the CMs "yell" at people. So it'll be fun going back.

The second one is at a resort. Dad and I made a quick visit there on our trip last April. And where was that exactly?

Yes, we are going to go to the Hoop De Doo Revue!

I've heard good things about the show, so I'm looking forward to that. And the food sounds yummy too!

I'm pretty sure we made both of the ADRs for 3 people because Emma said she would like to go with us.

I know it might be lame we only have a couple but oh well. I can't wait for both of them!

Hope everyone has a good weekend! I will try to do another update with the next DVC flashback.
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #45
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

I've got 11 ADRs for our next trip! But where and when we eat is very important for dh, so it's the least I can do.

We are trying 50's Prime Time for the first time this next trip. I only had two dates to choose from based on am EMH and the first date was his birthday. Since he didn't really enjoy the Whispering Canyon Cafe on our first trip, I decided that doing 50's on his birthday might not be a good idea, so we are doing it later in our trip.

We are also making our first visit to Fort Wilderness but we are going to Trail's End Breakfast on our anniversary. I'm trying to make that day a little more relaxed, so figuring a relaxing breakfast and then stroll around that area followed by a stroll over to WL and casually meandering there for a while would be a nice way to start the day instead of rushing to a park.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: