Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
I agree, perhaps one side of the ship could be smoking on verandas and the other side, non-smoking.

20% of the adults in the US smoke. So do you allocate 20% of the verandas to smokers. :-)

Seriously, the right to have 'pure air' does not exist....especially on a cruise ship. Fat sweaty people get on elevators and pass gas - you can either get offended and indignant or you laugh about it and enjoy life.

We all knew (or should have known) the smoking policy before booking. If you can't live with the policy, don't book the cruise! But don't book the cruise and then complain about the policy...that is just going to spoil your vacation and not change anything.

Quit worrying about it, pour the wine and cut the cheese! You're going on a Disney cruise! Whoohoooo!!
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
20% of the adults in the US smoke. So do you allocate 20% of the verandas to smokers. :-)

Seriously, the right to have 'pure air' does not exist....especially on a cruise ship. Fat sweaty people get on elevators and pass gas - you can either get offended and indignant or you laugh about it and enjoy life.

We all knew (or should have known) the smoking policy before booking. If you can't live with the policy, don't book the cruise! But don't book the cruise and then complain about the policy...that is just going to spoil your vacation and not change anything.

Quit worrying about it, pour the wine and cut the cheese! You're going on a Disney cruise! Whoohoooo!!

So well said
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #33
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

It is unfortunate that smoking is permitted on verandahs. I have thought about booking a verandah and now that my children are bit older, I thought it would be nice. But I have decided that it will not be an option until Disney prohibits smoking on the verandahs. I have only booked oceanview rooms with large portholes. And yes, avoiding second hand smoke is that important to me.

Hopefully, I'll be able to book a verandah stateroom one day.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #34
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If everyone followed this rule, these boards would be a lot less contentious.
Whether it be smoking, saving seats in the Walt Disney Theater, leaving your stuff in loungers on deck or in hammocks on Castaway Cay, obeying the quiet hours in the hallways, children in the adult areas, under-18's in Palo, etc., the policies are all clearly spelled out and people still argue about them or look for justification in ignoring them.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
MKRuns 26
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
Subscribing to this one and getting my popcorn ready!
Me too. I bet the MODs will lock the thread down before it hits 5 pages.
Disney Magic- X 4

WDW- More times then I can count
DL- Soon
MKRuns 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #36
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

OP, my DH has asthma and is sensitive to smoke. We have been on three Disney cruises, all with verandahs. He has never had an issue. If, once you are there and "living life" onboard, you find it's a problem, inquire if you can move to another stateroom. If Disney can accommodate, they will.

Quote:
...Fat sweaty people get on elevators and pass gas ...
Wow. Rude. Stereotype much? So you are saying that skinny people never sweat? Or are you saying that skinny people never pass gas? Oh, I get it. You're just saying that skinny people never use elevators, right? I think your comment was rude and not appropriate.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
CleoGoldfish
Earning My Ears

We are nonsmokers with a veranda, and while I do not enjoy inhaling others second-hand smoke, I understand that it is their right, and it is perfectly within the laws/rules for them to smoke on their veranda.

It's also within the laws/rules for me to stand on my veranda and think of something super hysterically funny and laugh like Fran Drescher until the smoke goes away.
CleoGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
OP, my DH has asthma and is sensitive to smoke. We have been on three Disney cruises, all with verandahs. He has never had an issue. If, once you are there and "living life" onboard, you find it's a problem, inquire if you can move to another stateroom. If Disney can accommodate, they will.

Wow. Rude. Stereotype much? So you are saying that skinny people never sweat? Or are you saying that skinny people never pass gas? Oh, I get it. You're just saying that skinny people never use elevators, right? I think your comment was rude and not appropriate.

- Dreams
Are you kidding me?! What I really meant was sometimes fat sweaty people get on the elevator and pass gas. If that offends you, I'm sorry. It happens. Sometimes the fat sweaty person who passes gas is me.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #39
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Quote:
They same way you conclude your neighhors were trying to "smoke you in".

The real issue for most people is not a health issue. It is simply that they don't like the smell of smoke. Well maybe I don't like the smell of the perfume some people bathe in. Doesn't mean it is harmful. The parts per billion smoke particulates in cigarette smoke that we are able to sense with our nose insignificant in terms of carcentigens. The only studies of second hand smoke 'dangers' are based on people being closely exposed to it for years and years not an occarional wiff of smoke.
Like you said it is the smoke itself, not it's harmful effects in such small quantity that bother people. I do not like cigarette smoke but it is their right to do it, so I would never complain.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #40
mamamac
Mouseketeer

Once again not trying to cause a stir. I live in a county that is smoke free in all restaurants. I have been in hotels that are smoke free. Office buildings, hospitals, and my own work that is all "Tobacco Free Campus". It seems to be more the norm now and I am just shocked that a cruise ship is not smoke free. I guess it's not as much as a fire danger because we will be surrounded by water.

Second, I wasn't aware that if I spent enough money I just might be able to change the rules. That's awesome. Maybe I will call them and see what that total is and add on more things so I can change that policy and some others. That's cool. Does this apply for other places besides Disney???

Third, no we don't live in a "bubble", but we do all we can to give her what every other child her age can do. When you watch your child go from being fine one moment and two hours later on a vent at a hospital you don't know because you are 1200 miles from home and then have her flown to a children's hospital even further away and stay there for almost two weeks, we will then talk about how we live, how we protect her, how she takes more meds than all three of her grandparents, how we make monthly visits to the hospital for infusions, and more but it will need to be over a meal, cause coffee isn't long enough.

Again, all I said in the first post was that I was basically shocked that they allowed smoking. I thought more and more places were becoming smoke free. If you want to smoke, smoke. I don't give two... There are polite smokers and there are rude smokers. There are polite elevator guests and there are those that aren't. There are those that don't understand perfume is a one or two spray application, not an entire bottle.

I am praying and hoping that it is not a problem for us. I only have to worry about those on one side and below us, as my sister is in the room next to us. If we encounter a problem, my daughter doesn't go on the verandah when the others are smoking.

Yes, I will enjoy this vacation just like any other. I will watch out for what's best for my daughter and family just like any other trip that we go on.

Thank you for those that have commented and said that smoke has or has not bothered you. I have 151 days till we find out.

4/2002 - Family Reunion at Contemporary
5/2009 - Family fun with neighbors and inlaws at Windsor Hills
5/2010 - A "Re-do of the Re-do Vacation" at Wilderness Lodge
5/2011 - Contemporary with Oma and Opa

June 2013 Looking forward to our first cruise with the family!
mamamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
If your daughter has that much of an issue, and her breathing is that much of a concern, how will she survive in life. Where smoking is everywhere?
I'm not sure where you are from, but I'm with OP on this one. In my experience, smoking is not everywhere at all. I live in the SF Bay area, and I rarely come into contact with smoke/smokers. My children were actually 5 and 7 before they noticed it. Ironically, it was in Ireland right after we'd gotten off the plane and were standing in the taxi queue. I'll never forget DS7 asking very loudly what that horrible smell was (cringe ).
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #42
oatway
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Are you kidding me?! What I really meant was sometimes fat sweaty people get on the elevator and pass gas. If that offends you, I'm sorry. It happens. Sometimes the fat sweaty person who passes gas is me.
oatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
Maryrn11168
DIS Veteran

I have a child with Cystic Fibrosis, so I get the "need to avoid smoke" at all costs issue. I am also an ex-smoker, so I understand the "need" to smoke 1st thing in the morning, after dinner, and before bed. Everyone is paying A LOT of money to cruise Disney. The rates are basically the same for everyone, depending on when you book, this is not a money thing. I have sailed twice with verandah rooms and have not had a problem with smoke at all. If your neighbor does smoke, if you explain your daughter's situation to them nicely, maybe they will refrain from smoking out there during the times that you are there, or they would put their cigarettes out if you come out onto your balcony. I hope all goes well for you, I do understand, Brian can go from running around to the ER quickly.

As Disney fleet of ships grows, maybe they can make one ship completely smoke free. They can start there and see how it sells.

Honeymoon-Swan 1997,AKL 5/02, Off site 11/02, Hilton Head 8/03, OKW 11/03, Hilton Head 8/04, BCV 5/05, Boardwalk 5/06, Vero Beach 8/07, VWL 5/2008, Magic Western 10/08, BWV 11/08, HHI 8/09, Magic Eastern 3/10, SSR 10/10, Vero Beach 8/11, Dream 5-night 8/11, BLT 8/11, Disney 1/2 Marathon 1/12, 5/12 SSR, 6/12 Magic Weekend Getaway, 7/12 BCV, 9/13 DVC Member Cruise, 10/13 BCV, 2nd 1/2 Marathon BCV 1/14
Maryrn11168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #44
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio

So it was you?!!!!!! Lol .. Great post.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #45
Lexa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinaz View Post
They should have moved THEM, not you.
Why? Both sides paid same amount of money for the stateroom and by DCL rules they can smoke on their verandas....so why they should move them????

Aleksandra , Chris , Luke :, Maya

May 7-14 2011 - Our 1st cruise with DCL - Disney Magic to Eastern Caribbean
April 29 -May 14 2012 - Inaugural sailing on Disney Wonder to Hawaii
May 6 - May 20 2013 - Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal

May 1 - May 15 2015 - Another trip on Disney Wonder Westbound through Panama Canal
Lexa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: