Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
CamperMomma
Earning My Ears

Thanks all! Definitely sounds do-able, just need the time available off work to do it. Hmm...maybe shoot for the long haul late 2014 and a cabin late this year.

2007 Dodge MegaCab 2500
2013 Outback 250 RS

Trips to come -
late 2015/early 2016 We need to move closer to the Fort!
CamperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #32
RoyalBlunders
Always a Princess but by no means Perfect!

OH We are nice and close! We pass the base all the time when we have to head to Devils Lake! Hopefully one of these days you will be able to take your own camper. I just like that I don't have to haul suitcases. In the summer, we leave the RV pretty much packed the entire time so our kids are always running back and forth between the RV and the house to find their clothes...we LOVE it,lol! Have fun at the cabins!
Jan.2007-Pop Century * Sept.2008-All Star Music * Aug.2009-Off Site * Feb.2010-Saratoga Springs * Jan.2011-Disneyland * July 2011-Disneyland * Dec.2011-POR!! First time for the Holidays!!! * Aug 2012 Fort Wilderness Campsites-First time RV!
RoyalBlunders is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
dsdeleon
Mouseketeer

We drive far but don't haul. We have two young sons and after our last trip we got a car specifically for driving back and forth to Florida. We were in NJ but are now in Upstate NY. We stay over just one night in NC.
It's nice to have our car at the fort and everything all setup for us when we get there (we rent a fifth wheel).
dsdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #34
sapdaddy2
Mouseketeer

We tow our 24' sportsman TT 1500 miles from NH. DS 15 wants to help drive when he turns 16. I think not Home boss is nervous enough when he drives now in just the truck without the camper.
sapdaddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

We towed our small TT in Oct from Upstate NY to WDW; 3 adults and 5 kids It was actually ok and we would do it again. We made it to SC the 1st day and then we only had 6 hour trip to WDW the next day.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #36
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbegin View Post
We have driven from CT to the Fort many times (approx 1200 miles) We usually do 7 hours, 10 hours and 7 hours.... but always play it by ear depending on weather, traffic and how tired DH gets.

We are in the process of trading our 5th wheel for a Class A. We may actually be able to drive almost straight through this trip because we will have 3 drivers (DH, myself and my 19 year old son)... with the class A we can take turns sleeping while the others are driving. Not gonna push it though..

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Also from CT here, though our preferred route is about 1300 miles, but worth it to us to skip NY, NJ, and DC. We tow a 26 foot trailer now, but sometime in the future we'd love a class C...and in a mere 9-10 years we'll be in your shoes msbegin, with a 3rd driver! We've already been planting the seeds since our DS is a night owl and I'm an early bird and DH is somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4daubers View Post
For us, the trip is part of the adventure and adds to the excitement. We love the FW magic and comfort of our own camper.
Totally this!

We've done it for just a week-long trip and I still think it is worth it...two weeks would be ideal, though.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #37
whumpus
Earning My Ears

Our drive is at least 24hours. We usually leave on Friday evening: pick up the kids from school in the camper and begin our trip south from there. It's a great way to surprise the kids We too will drive 7 hours Friday evening. Then do as many miles as I can stand on Saturday and finishing up on Sunday.

We are known to be a bit meandering . . . we like to extend and expand vacation as much as possible. It's not unusual for us to swing into a state park for a few hours for a hike, nap, picnic, site-seeing, etc. It truly is a road trip for us.
whumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #38
allaboutthemouse
Mouseketeer

Question Question for those that tow 15+ hours

Hello,
We have a 31 foot TT that we tow with our older Suburban. Older, like maybe ten years. We live 15 hours from DW. For those of you that tow 15+ hours to FW, what kind of vehicles are you towing with? Are you all driving newer vehicles? Should I be nervous to tow (well, not me, my husband would be driving ) with an older vehicle? Would we kill it? That is a long way to go. We have not camped further than 3 hours from home. If it matters, I would plan FW to be "part" of the vacation, not the destination - i.e., stopping along the way multiple times for a couple days each direction. So maybe a 2-3 week vacation, summer time. What do you think?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #39
pocomom
Brr.....

I drive from North Eastern PA- We made the trip down a part of the trip we took 4 days and did 2-3 hour stops in fredericksburg va, jekyll island ga, a manatee viewing areas and a few other places. (one was just shoe shopping We actually went to Naples Florida first and then back up to disney so I think it was 24 hours of driving to naples. over the four days it was fun- on the way back we had a tighter schedule and I made it in 3 after leaving the Disney at 2:00pm, 2 overnights and got in around 9pm the third driving day )close to 500 miles of driving after winterizing the rv in the morning! It was TOO MUCH! This is my second day home and I'm still exhausted. I think it is totally doable if you take your time and it is part of your trip- if you are driving straight it is really tough... of course I'm the only driver in my crew and I'm travelling with 3 little kids and dogs normally...if you have a spouse switching off may make that easier.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutthemouse View Post
Hello,
We have a 31 foot TT that we tow with our older Suburban. Older, like maybe ten years. We live 15 hours from DW. For those of you that tow 15+ hours to FW, what kind of vehicles are you towing with? Are you all driving newer vehicles? Should I be nervous to tow (well, not me, my husband would be driving ) with an older vehicle? Would we kill it? That is a long way to go. We have not camped further than 3 hours from home. If it matters, I would plan FW to be "part" of the vacation, not the destination - i.e., stopping along the way multiple times for a couple days each direction. So maybe a 2-3 week vacation, summer time. What do you think?
We tow with a 2007 Toyota Tundra. Personally, I think as long as you keep and have kept up with maintenance I don't think you need to worry. I'd discuss it with a trusted mechanic just to be sure that you have a professional agreement. I also recommend getting behind the wheel yourself and getting comfortable towing unless there are conditions that prevent you from doing so. It sure helps having two drivers to trade off! Plus, last spring on the way back from WDW my DH got hit with a 24 hour bug - we would have spent a whole day somewhere in GA waiting for him to feel better if he were the only driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
...of course I'm the only driver in my crew and I'm travelling with 3 little kids and dogs normally...if you have a spouse switching off may make that easier.
Yes, this! Trading off with a second (or third!) driver really makes a difference in this conversation.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Hello,
We have a 31 foot TT that we tow with our older Suburban. Older, like maybe ten years. We live 15 hours from DW. For those of you that tow 15+ hours to FW, what kind of vehicles are you towing with? Are you all driving newer vehicles? Should I be nervous to tow (well, not me, my husband would be driving ) with an older vehicle?
I have an older Suburban that I use as my tow vehicle. Granted, I am pulling a popup and not a 31' TT. But as long as you are not anywhere close to your tow limit (most 1500 Suburbans our age can pull 7500-8000#) it should continue to be a workhorse for you.

Older Suburbans have a well-earned reputation for being tanks AS LONG AS you keep up with routine maintenance (true for most vehicles too). I took my Suburban/camper on a 1,000 trip to Key West two years agon and it pulled just fine. Bama ED's Key West Trip Report

Just get it checked out at your favorite car guy before you go, don't be in a hurry, and drive with your ears.

Have fun and I hope to see you at the Fort!

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hello,
We drove 1500 miles down last year with 35' fifth wheel, 1995 Dodge 2500 v-10 truck. Had the truck serviced before we left and no problems whatso ever. This year another trip, just not to disney, but to Daytona 500, bought a 2008 2500 Silverado Diesel in June, curious to see how this one pulls down. We drive about 400-450 miles a day so days are not to long. Took a 3 week vacation last year.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
rajak73
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=KristinU;47220225]We tow with a 2007 Toyota Tundra.......... Plus, last spring on the way back from WDW my DH got hit with a 24 hour bug

I had that a few years ago heading back from Yellowstone! Don't know if it was something i ate, (I blamed it on the food at the Indian Reservation leaving Little Bighorn, LOL, but it could have been just a 24 hr bug) Stop every 100 miles during the day and puke and was good for another 100 miles! DW did offer to drive but I wasn't that bad.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
allaboutthemouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the words of encouragement Just talked to hubby, I was thinking Big Red (how we affectionately refer to our fire engine red 2500 camping burban - our other newer every day burban is Black Beauty)was only about 10 and a couple years old! He is actually a '94, so a bit older than I was thinking! But just reading up there someone took a '95 that far gives a bit of encouragement! Would love to do it, but we will see. Would definately have it looked over for sure. Have a lot to think about. Thanks!
Love the Key West report!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #45
erbeaman
Mouseketeer

I just booked a trip for spring break this year . Our first time at FW, and our first time towing a camper more than 150 miles. We don't even have our new camper yet, but have narrowed our purchase down to a couple of different pop-ups. I am so excited, but now that I look at this thread I'm nervous our 6 night stay won't be worth our 2200 mile round trip drive. We have driven before without the camper for that amount of time and had a great time! Is it that much more taxing towing a camper? Am I making a mistake? Btw, we will be towing a large pop-up with a Traverse.
erbeaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: