Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #136
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiew View Post
I'm not really excited about the new MyMagic +.

It might be good for a newbie or someone who didn't understand you needed to plan a little ahead . Some may have left Disney disappointed that they didn't get to do xyz because the line was too long or they didn't make an ADR to eat with the princesses. This way they are "guaranteed' to do their "must dos". (Provided they know about MyMagic+ or can figure it out.)
That's just the thing. Loads of people won't know that they are supposed to plan out their rides 60 days out.

That's kind of what I don't like about FP+. Not only does it ignore those people who don't know that they should be microplanning their theme park visits, but it doesn't give enough perks to those that do microplan their visits to be a reasonable replacement for FPs. Sure, these people can schedule three (or four?) rides in advance, but they used to be able to get half a dozen FPs to the big rides.

FP aside, there does seem to be some good stuff here. The whole RFID thing is expected to include value added stuff. Most of those things are also opportunities for us to spend more, but Disney's primary business is increasing corporate profits, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote:
Also, we usually do room only reservations. We've never done a full package because we don't want the dining plan. Now it looks like I will have to do a package to get tickets. Hopefully it will work out that we can have a Disney room reservation and then order Undercover Tourist tickets and add them to the MyMagic+ thing if we get the tickets mailed to us ahead of time.
You can book rooms and buy tickets on the Disney website without adding a meal package. As I understand it, those people who buy tickets from other sources can also still use the MM+ system. They just will type in their ticket number on the website. That's not unlike how cruisers enter their ticket numbers on the site to be able to preschedule excursions and dinners.
Quote:
I was thinking about staying offsite next trip. We had a 2 bedroom condo when we went to Hawaii last year and now my teen girls are spoiled on the room space. So they wanted a condo again for our trip to Disney. Maybe I won't be able to do that if this new system rolls out before our trip.
I think that you will still be able to do that. You'll just enter your ticket number on the website.
Quote:
I'm still undecided about the bracelets. I like the idea of having one thing for photopass, room key and tickets. Not sure I want charging priviledges on that. I'm afraid of my CC info being on the RFID. I've read too many articles about the new RFID chips on CCs and theives getting the info off of those. I bet it would be easy game at WDW for the theives and these RFID.
As I understand it, your CC info won't be on the chip. It will be rather like the current KTTW card where it identifies the guest and whether he has spending priveledges, but doesn't actually include the CC number. The CC number is already in the system from check-in, so doesn't need to be on the card. The issue of someone somehow cloning bracelets to ring up charges is a good one, but can be avoided as it is with CCs. A simple way would for the system to pop up a picture of the bracelet holder at point of purchase.
Quote:
I'm also a little concerned about privacy. I didn't think about the things a PP mentioned, like WDW will KNOW that you spent an hour at World of Disney and didn't buy anything. Or you like to spend your afternoon in the shops at EPCOT. A little too big brother for me. I'm hoping I can get a card with the RFID instead of the bracelet and then put it in one of those metal wallet things you can buy at Walgreens to protect against the RFID readers. Then just bring out the card when you need it.
Something tells me that the mouse already has a handle on whether people are buying things or browsing the shops. That being said, you will still have a couple options to de-big brother it. One is to pay with cash or a credit card instead of the bracelet. You will have the option of not having spending privledges just like with the KTTW card.

In many ways, most of what they are doing is just taking the current KTTW concept and taking it to the next step by adding PhotoPass to it. To do that right, they have to change the technology to RFID. This change allows them the ability to offer greater experiences.

FOr me, FP+ is the weak point to the entire scheme, not magic bands. Magic bands allow them an additional sales opportunity, but don't 'reduce the magic', in my opinion.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #137
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Just curious as I haven't looked. Are they allowing any comments to remain that are anything but glowing?
No. I know of 5 posts that have not been posted on that blog.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #138
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
Yeah. I can't believe so many people are excited about enhanced marketing. They must either trust that Disney won't cross a line, or they haven't thought it through.

Want to design your own Test Track car? First, here's an ad about a product you might be interested in.

Happy wake-up call from Mickey! He sees that you had the wine pairings at V&A's last night. Would you like him to bring you a Bloody Mary and advil to take the edge off your hangover?

Did your kid spend half an hour looking through Minnie merchandise, but left the store empty-handed because you wanted her to think about a purchase first? Maybe a targeted ad pops up on your resort TV screen, telling your little girl that poor plush Minnie is homeless and is waiting for you to save her.

You walked 6.8 miles yesterday, ate approximately 1,800 calories, and are running a 700 calorie deficit... and you have a weakness for dole whips. How much food pron can you take before you cave and buy one?

Sent your overcooked steak back to the kitchen at dinner last night and left a justifiably small tip? Every CM can now see that your pain-in-the-butt score is 2 out of a possible 10.

Sure, some of the above examples are far-fetched... but where will they draw the line?
top that off with the fact that once you have given them permission to data mine your kids, what is to stop them from selling that info to other companies? You have opted in, and given them permission.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #139
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2twingles View Post
What about those people who book through a travel agent. I know when I book with AAA I can not see my reservations online. So even if I buy a package am I out of luck for everything
Your travel agent will mail you your tickets (or vouchers). Then you can enter the numbers on the website and you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie94gigem View Post
Ok...another scenario...

My Disney cruise includes a day at wdw....I have a reservation number for the cruise but will that let me make a fast pass reservation for my day at wdw? We have been told our room keys will also be our ticket....
I assume that it will be handled the same way as you do your exursions and Palo reservations. In fact, it would not at all surprise me to see the ships move to MyMagic/magic bands pretty quickly.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #140
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristusG View Post
My question is what happens to those of us with AP's who make frequent trips? Since I go often, I tend to plan less. I can't plan my trip six months in advance because I may not even know I'm heading down to Disney until one month prior. Or I may wake up one day and say "hey, I think I'll plan a trip to Disney next weekend." We go often....of course I'm not going to plan like someone taking a once in a lifetime trip (or even those who go once every few years). So where does that leave us? Waiting in a standby line every time because I couldn't make my fastpass reservation six months in advance? I don't want to plan my days like that! Seems way too rigid.
This is my biggest concern. When we were AP holders, we would decide to hit the parks completely on a whim. With the old FP system, this was not a problem. With the new system, this will be a huge problem.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #141
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoogala View Post
top that off with the fact that once you have given them permission to data mine your kids, what is to stop them from selling that info to other companies? You have opted in, and given them permission.
You may or may not have given that permission. It would be one thing for them to aggregate information and sell it. It would be another for them to sell identifiable information. They would not need any permission to sell aggregated, non-identifiable data, I wouldn't think. That being said, the aggregate data is much more useful to companies, so that's likely what would be sold. I can't for the life of me think of how non-aggregated data would be useful.

Also, I am of the thought that Disney would likely not sell useful aggregated data to their competitors. They'd make full use of it in-house, of course.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #142
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Why is it that some people can't see that everyone doesn't tour in the same way? Some people are unhappy because this new technology doesn't appear to fit their touring style so it's understandable that they would be critical. There always has to be a group who bash them for not finding everything involving Disney to be perfect though.

Personally, I don't want to preplan my trips to such a large degree. I don't want to be tied to a particular park and to rides and show so far in advance. It just doesn't suit me. It also won't keep me from visiting other area attractions which I'm sure is at least part of the goal here.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #143
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodious View Post
The main idea, even in the time of Walt, was always to make as much money as possible. No one created WDW out of the pure goodness and magic of their hearts, it is a business.

Since the beginning, my mom has said, "Ain't no flies on Disney." If they can make it easier to push you to spend money, they will! But most of the time that increases my enjoyment. Don't want us to go offsite? Make free transportation to the airport. Wonderful for us. Don't want to carry that purchase all day? Send it back to the resort. Weddings, adults, kids, multi-generations, disability spectrum, make it as easy as possible for all these groups to spend money on Disney.

We have also always joked that Disney knows everything we do online and every time we visit a disney site and everything we purchase, etc. Now they're just admitting to all the information. I think it will make my trips better and make it easier for me to do things besides run around the park looking for fastpasses. Limited Time Magic may be a failure of their marketing department, but I don't believe that nextgen won't succeed in bringing them more mone
y

Quote:
If mickey brought me a bloody mary in bed, I would definitely consider it a win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
Not thrilled with the idea of wearing a wristband either. But, even if they don't make another format (e.g. card) available, what prevents us from just putting our and our children's wristbands in our bag like we do current park tix? Doesn't seem like a big problem to me.

Quote:
If these are real concerns for anyone, they can opt out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
So much privacy paranoia coming from people using the internet. I am sure the irony is lost on them. Too funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasteacher35 View Post
Seriously...people are never happy, you can't please everyone...I like the idea of no paper fast passes...what a waste. Not having to run across parks for fast passes is awesome. We go to WDW from Chicago A LOT, and I am excited to see change...they will work out the kinks. Disney rocks, and so I have faith in them working this through. It may not be perfect at first, but come on...

I am more disappointed about the reduction of discount for my premier passport. Seriously!

Quote:
It still amazes me -- though it shouldn't anymore -- how negative people can be on here!! CRANKY!!

And many of the same ones complaining about any new technology Disney tries, also complain that Disney isn't investing enough in the parks!

A WDW vacation - and planning it - makes me happy. Even when I'm not 100% thrilled with every little aspect of every change Disney makes. I'm looking forward to what this new technology can bring.

Time for me to take a DIS break! I know... I won't let the "logout" hit me on the way out!

~All of these posts are really, really good. I couldn't believe my eyes! I appreciate a good, sound, reasonable post & a little humor, too.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #144
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

So confused............

We're coming in March.

I already have a few dining reservations linked to my WDW profile, but:
1 - we're DVC members staying on points - can they be linked to my WDW profile(?); and,
2 - we bought the DVC PAP's, but all I have is an email certificate that doesn't look like any of the pass registration options under "My Profile".

Any advice appreciated.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #145
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post

~All of these posts are really, really good. I couldn't believe my eyes! I appreciate a good, sound, reasonable post & a little humor, too.

Isn't it funny that we all believe the sound posts are the ones we agree with . I'm not being snarky - its that way for most of us .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #146
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
Isn't it funny that we all believe the sound posts are the ones we agree with . I'm not being snarky - its that way for most of us .
Yep, funny how that works.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #147
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If mickey brought me a bloody mary in bed, I would definitely consider it a win!
Yeah! It's already waiting at your door and $30 has been charged to your account. Call 1-800-W-DISNEY to opt out.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #148
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
~I think you are being snarky & I don't appreciate the tone of your post, in spite of the emoticons. The posts I quoted above *are* sound & reasonable. Who are you to suggest, otherwise? I don't have to "agree" with a post to consider it sound -- that's a very immature and rude thing to say, but typical. I have every right to like and appreciate what I wan't on these boards without ridicule. It's funny how I don't care about what anyone else thinks -- people are entitled to their own opinion. I would appreciate it, going forward if you & your "buddy(s)" focus your negativity elsewhere! Thanks so much!

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 01-08-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: ~forgot the (s)
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #149
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
As I understand it, your CC info won't be on the chip. It will be rather like the current KTTW card where it identifies the guest and whether he has spending priveledges, but doesn't actually include the CC number. The CC number is already in the system from check-in, so doesn't need to be on the card. The issue of someone somehow cloning bracelets to ring up charges is a good one, but can be avoided as it is with CCs. A simple way would for the system to pop up a picture of the bracelet holder at point of purchase.
This makes me feel better knowing that my actual CC info isn't on the bracelet.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #150
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Yep, funny how that works.
Yep, totally agree.

And I see the irony in someone () pointing out that the emoticons don't mean anything.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Last edited by Missyrose; 01-08-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: