Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
biggroofy
DIS Veteran

Magic, or no Magic: Med Cruise 2013

We have booked Cat5 rooms for July 12 night Med cruise on Disney Magic. We have done a 10-night in 2010 and it was fantastic, and I booked this new itinerary mainly because of the overnight dock at Venice, Italy.

During my last sailing on Magic (5 night NY Cruise), I had a brief conversation with the hotel director, Thomas. I commented that the staterooms were dated, and he told me that Magic will be dry dock for 6-8 weeks in late 2013 (after the Med cruise) and there will be major renovations (redoing all the stateroom etc).

We've been on Fantasy this past Christmas and everybody loved it, especially my DD5. Now I am struggling if I should cancel/postpone the Med cruise until Magic's dry dock is over, although there is no guarantee that Magic will have Med itinerary in 2014.

We are talking about ~$20K travel budget for the whole family, as we know that the Med cruise is expensive. If I fly to Venice, Paris, and maybe Barcelona for a 12-night road trip it might be much cheaper.

If you were me, will you postpone the med cruise and wait for the "new" Disney Magic?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggroofy View Post

. . . If you were me, will you postpone the med cruise and wait for the "new" Disney Magic?
No, as there is no guarantee if or when the "new" Disney Magic will return to the Med.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you want to save some money, you can do the same cruise on other lines. We seriously considered this as the Med is highly port intensive...but DD wants the Magic.

As to the ship being dated, in poor repair, etc....yes, the staterooms need some spiffing up. The ship as a whole is not in poor repair, but she doesn't have the high tech features of the newer ships. We're going to be "Magical" this summer with no hesitation about the ship's condition but fully realizing that she will be "prettier" after her dry dock.

And (are you listening, DCL) KEEP THE BEDS THAT SEPARATE. I seriously hope they don't go with the fixed bed like on the Fantasy. Different strokes for different folks--got it, Disney?
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
If you want to save some money, you can do the same cruise on other lines. We seriously considered this as the Med is highly port intensive...but DD wants the Magic.

As to the ship being dated, in poor repair, etc....yes, the staterooms need some spiffing up. The ship as a whole is not in poor repair, but she doesn't have the high tech features of the newer ships. We're going to be "Magical" this summer with no hesitation about the ship's condition but fully realizing that she will be "prettier" after her dry dock.

And (are you listening, DCL) KEEP THE BEDS THAT SEPARATE. I seriously hope they don't go with the fixed bed like on the Fantasy. Different strokes for different folks--got it, Disney?
Is splitting the beds the most comfortable way for 2 adults to share the room? I figured one of us would take the bed and the other the couch bed, because I didnt know the bed split. We are in a Cat 11 A for the 12 night med. Does splitting the beds take away any significant space from the room, and will they remove the comforter from the room (so that isnt taking up valuable closet space)?

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The issue of the beds splitting or not comes up when you have more than 2 people sharing a room with three sleeping spaces.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

The issue of the beds splitting or not comes up when you have more than 2 people sharing a room with three sleeping spaces.
There are also instances where two people are sharing a cabin and prefer two twin beds instead of having them put together making a king bed.

Woody
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

My adult daughter and I do not care for sharing the big bed. On the other hand, the bed is more comfortable than the couch. Splitting the big bed fills both needs--we each have a comfortable bed and no one kicks the other in the night! When they split the bed, they move one end table to the space between them and move that bed toward the wall. It doesn't change the amount of space in the room.

Yes, they will remove the comforter if requested.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
biggroofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
No, as there is no guarantee if or when the "new" Disney Magic will return to the Med.

Woody
True, that's my concern. Once Magic is renovated, it may not have special itinerary.

Hard to decide, sail with "dated" Magic now, or wait for the chances to sail on a "newer" Magic next year :D
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:

True, that's my concern. Once Magic is renovated, it may not have special itinerary.
Also, a "dated" Wonder could follow the Magic's footsteps and cruise the Med in 2014 or so, followed by an extensive dry dock.

Woody
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
My adult daughter and I do not care for sharing the big bed. On the other hand, the bed is more comfortable than the couch. Splitting the big bed fills both needs--we each have a comfortable bed and no one kicks the other in the night! When they split the bed, they move one end table to the space between them and move that bed toward the wall. It doesn't change the amount of space in the room.

Yes, they will remove the comforter if requested.
Great, thanks for the explanation. It is my dad and I so obviously we dont want to share 1 big bed, and its nice we'll both have the comfort of separate beds instead of 1 having to take the couch.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
GeneMachine
Mouseketeer

You could easily come up with an itinerary for 1,000$ a night that allows you to spend 12 nights in Venice, Paris and Barcelona. Once you are in Europe, there are plenty of airlines that can get you places within Europe for very little money.

Balance that with the risk that maybe the Magic gets a super nice renovation and maybe has a Med itinerary in 2014 that maybe coincides with your schedule.

I don't mean to overdramatize; clearly, the choice between a med cruise or 12 nights in Venice, Paris and Barcelona is a great one to have. Either way, it's a great trip!
~July 2014 Greek Isles, let the countdown begin!~
GeneMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneMachine View Post
You could easily come up with an itinerary for 1,000$ a night that allows you to spend 12 nights in Venice, Paris and Barcelona. Once you are in Europe, there are plenty of airlines that can get you places within Europe for very little money.

Balance that with the risk that maybe the Magic gets a super nice renovation and maybe has a Med itinerary in 2014 that maybe coincides with your schedule.

I don't mean to overdramatize; clearly, the choice between a med cruise or 12 nights in Venice, Paris and Barcelona is a great one to have. Either way, it's a great trip!
Totally agree! I have done 3 land-based trips through Europe and had lots of fun, but I'm super excited to try something new by visiting places via the 12 night Med cruise this summer. I wish the Magic was being refurbished beforehand, but its still not something that would make me wait for a "maybe" down the line. Plus, what are the chances that 1 of the only 2 eastern Med w/Greece & Turkey cruises in another year would fall on my birthday in July again? I get to spend my birthday in Cinque Terre, Italy sampling great food, wine and views and then return to the Magic--can't get any more better timed than that for me this year!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
tajz90
Mama D

Just a thought, I don't have a ton of experience with foreign hotels, but I do have some and I'd much rather head back to my American luxuries on the ship

We stayed at a lovely seaside hotel in/near Sorrento and every morning the hotel cut the air condition at 6 am. Didn't take long for the heat to come creeping . That's just one example of why I like to cruise overseas.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
heatherbelle
DIS Veteran

Just to add to the discussion. I have postponed my DCL Med cruise and we are now doing a Med Cruise with Carnival (I know it will not be the same as DCL) because they spoil us all rotten at a price.

But we are saving a substantial amount of money.

Ports of call on our 12 day sailing are.

Venice
Dubrovnik
Athens
Izmir for Ephersus
Messina
Naples
Rome
Lorvorno for Pisa etc
Marseilles would prefer Villefranche myself
Barcelona final port.

So a fab itinerary. Lets hope the ship is okay more importantly the food!!
2005 - WDW -Off site LBV, 2006 WDW Regal Palms, 2007 - WDW Regal Palms, 2008 - Disney Old Key West, 2009 - Disneyland LA/SD, 2010 Yacht Club, 2011 Med Disney Cruise. 2012 Yacht Club again! 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med, 2014- Carnival Breeze & Yacht Club .
heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
We have booked Cat5 rooms for July 12 night Med cruise on Disney Magic. We have done a 10-night in 2010 and it was fantastic, and I booked this new itinerary mainly because of the overnight dock at Venice, Italy.

During my last sailing on Magic (5 night NY Cruise), I had a brief conversation with the hotel director, Thomas. I commented that the staterooms were dated, and he told me that Magic will be dry dock for 6-8 weeks in late 2013 (after the Med cruise) and there will be major renovations (redoing all the stateroom etc).

We've been on Fantasy this past Christmas and everybody loved it, especially my DD5. Now I am struggling if I should cancel/postpone the Med cruise until Magic's dry dock is over, although there is no guarantee that Magic will have Med itinerary in 2014.

We are talking about ~$20K travel budget for the whole family, as we know that the Med cruise is expensive. If I fly to Venice, Paris, and maybe Barcelona for a 12-night road trip it might be much cheaper.

If you were me, will you postpone the med cruise and wait for the "new" Disney Magic?
No matter what, it will always be cheaper to do a land tour (provided you stay at cheaper places and eat cheaper food, and I mean less expensive, not "cheap" in a pejorative way) than to cruise DCL. No matter what, you can always find Med cruises that will be cheaper than DCL. So ask yourself, why are you really cruising with DCL?

If it is for fresh paint, fresh carpets, and a guarantee of no dripping faucets, then hold off for after the drydock. If it is for the food, the entertainment, the service, the activities, the adults-only areas, will those improve with drydock? How important are the physical aspects of the ship to you? If a leaky faucet or worn-out carpet will destroy your vacation time on the Magic, then don't pay the extra money.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, disney magic, dry dock, mediterranean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: