Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiew View Post
I'm not really excited about the new MyMagic +.

It might be good for a newbie or someone who didn't understand you needed to plan a little ahead . Some may have left Disney disappointed that they didn't get to do xyz because the line was too long or they didn't make an ADR to eat with the princesses. This way they are "guaranteed' to do their "must dos". (Provided they know about MyMagic+ or can figure it out.)
That's just the thing. Loads of people won't know that they are supposed to plan out their rides 60 days out.

That's kind of what I don't like about FP+. Not only does it ignore those people who don't know that they should be microplanning their theme park visits, but it doesn't give enough perks to those that do microplan their visits to be a reasonable replacement for FPs. Sure, these people can schedule three (or four?) rides in advance, but they used to be able to get half a dozen FPs to the big rides.

FP aside, there does seem to be some good stuff here. The whole RFID thing is expected to include value added stuff. Most of those things are also opportunities for us to spend more, but Disney's primary business is increasing corporate profits, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote:
Also, we usually do room only reservations. We've never done a full package because we don't want the dining plan. Now it looks like I will have to do a package to get tickets. Hopefully it will work out that we can have a Disney room reservation and then order Undercover Tourist tickets and add them to the MyMagic+ thing if we get the tickets mailed to us ahead of time.
You can book rooms and buy tickets on the Disney website without adding a meal package. As I understand it, those people who buy tickets from other sources can also still use the MM+ system. They just will type in their ticket number on the website. That's not unlike how cruisers enter their ticket numbers on the site to be able to preschedule excursions and dinners.
Quote:
I was thinking about staying offsite next trip. We had a 2 bedroom condo when we went to Hawaii last year and now my teen girls are spoiled on the room space. So they wanted a condo again for our trip to Disney. Maybe I won't be able to do that if this new system rolls out before our trip.
I think that you will still be able to do that. You'll just enter your ticket number on the website.
Quote:
I'm still undecided about the bracelets. I like the idea of having one thing for photopass, room key and tickets. Not sure I want charging priviledges on that. I'm afraid of my CC info being on the RFID. I've read too many articles about the new RFID chips on CCs and theives getting the info off of those. I bet it would be easy game at WDW for the theives and these RFID.
As I understand it, your CC info won't be on the chip. It will be rather like the current KTTW card where it identifies the guest and whether he has spending priveledges, but doesn't actually include the CC number. The CC number is already in the system from check-in, so doesn't need to be on the card. The issue of someone somehow cloning bracelets to ring up charges is a good one, but can be avoided as it is with CCs. A simple way would for the system to pop up a picture of the bracelet holder at point of purchase.
Quote:
I'm also a little concerned about privacy. I didn't think about the things a PP mentioned, like WDW will KNOW that you spent an hour at World of Disney and didn't buy anything. Or you like to spend your afternoon in the shops at EPCOT. A little too big brother for me. I'm hoping I can get a card with the RFID instead of the bracelet and then put it in one of those metal wallet things you can buy at Walgreens to protect against the RFID readers. Then just bring out the card when you need it.
Something tells me that the mouse already has a handle on whether people are buying things or browsing the shops. That being said, you will still have a couple options to de-big brother it. One is to pay with cash or a credit card instead of the bracelet. You will have the option of not having spending privledges just like with the KTTW card.

In many ways, most of what they are doing is just taking the current KTTW concept and taking it to the next step by adding PhotoPass to it. To do that right, they have to change the technology to RFID. This change allows them the ability to offer greater experiences.

FOr me, FP+ is the weak point to the entire scheme, not magic bands. Magic bands allow them an additional sales opportunity, but don't 'reduce the magic', in my opinion.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: