Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #931
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I am simultaneously planning a Disney trip and starting the C25K program. Today was week 4 day 1, and I've been listening to a Disney CD on my iPhone to keep me motivated (Disney music equals happy in my brain so I'm hoping to associate running into that happy feeling ). So far it's working, if for nothing else to help with the cold weather (I'm in NY) because I picture warm sunny parks. Ok, you probably all think I'm nuts at this point!

A little about me...I am a 42 year old SAHM to three boys (ages 16, 14, and 12), I have a wonderful wife who is also doing this with me (she started week 2 day 1 today). We don't really do it together as we are paced differently, but we start out and finish up together some days. Both of my sisters are runners...one completed the NYC marathon last year and she's doing the NYC half this March, the other had done marathon training years ago. I've always been impressed and wanted to join in...didn't really seem to happen until now. I do think this program is very helpful. In the past I would just go out and run and run with no plan in mind, and by the second week I'd be injured or burnt out. Sometimes I find it hard not to want to do more, but I have been following the program to a tee so far and it's working. I feel great, and I am able to do it.

Anyway, it's nice to find a thread on DIS dedicated to the C25K! I signed up for my first two 5ks. One will be running the runway at JFK and the other will be the Bronx Zoo 5k (both in April).

I'm going to spend a little time catching up on these posts to get to know you all!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #932
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
I'm dragging this post back from the dead to see if anyone else is doing C25K? I finished Week 5, Day 3 this morning and I'm on top of the world. When they say that this is the toughest mental run they aren't kidding!
Hi! I just posted my first post and was going back to get to know everyone, and saw I didn't have to go back very far . Thanks for resurrecting this thread!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #933
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Hi everyone! I am simultaneously planning a Disney trip and starting the C25K program. Today was week 4 day 1, and I've been listening to a Disney CD on my iPhone to keep me motivated (Disney music equals happy in my brain so I'm hoping to associate running into that happy feeling ). So far it's working, if for nothing else to help with the cold weather (I'm in NY) because I picture warm sunny parks. Ok, you probably all think I'm nuts at this point!

A little about me...I am a 42 year old SAHM to three boys (ages 16, 14, and 12), I have a wonderful wife who is also doing this with me (she started week 2 day 1 today). We don't really do it together as we are paced differently, but we start out and finish up together some days. Both of my sisters are runners...one completed the NYC marathon last year and she's doing the NYC half this March, the other had done marathon training years ago. I've always been impressed and wanted to join in...didn't really seem to happen until now. I do think this program is very helpful. In the past I would just go out and run and run with no plan in mind, and by the second week I'd be injured or burnt out. Sometimes I find it hard not to want to do more, but I have been following the program to a tee so far and it's working. I feel great, and I am able to do it.

Anyway, it's nice to find a thread on DIS dedicated to the C25K! I signed up for my first two 5ks. One will be running the runway at JFK and the other will be the Bronx Zoo 5k (both in April).

I'm going to spend a little time catching up on these posts to get to know you all!
First of all, congratulations on starting C25k. I started almost three years ago and have since run about 30 races, including six half marathons (two Wine and Dines) and one full marathon (Disney). Iím currently training for the Manhattan Half on January 27th, the Central Park Half on February 24th, and the NYC Half on March 17th.

Iíve never done the JFK 5k but Iíve heard good things about it. The Zoo 5k is VERY fun, but be advised that itís a short course, closer to 4k.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #934
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
First of all, congratulations on starting C25k. I started almost three years ago and have since run about 30 races, including six half marathons (two Wine and Dines) and one full marathon (Disney). Iím currently training for the Manhattan Half on January 27th, the Central Park Half on February 24th, and the NYC Half on March 17th.

Iíve never done the JFK 5k but Iíve heard good things about it. The Zoo 5k is VERY fun, but be advised that itís a short course, closer to 4k.
Thanks for the encouragement! I think it's great to see someone who started out with the C25k program become such an accomplished long distance runner in a short time! And at this point shorter is probably not a bad thing for me

Good luck in your upcoming races! My sister is on the UWS too...you've probably run together at some point!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #935
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

I'm a C25K enthusiast also! I "graduated" about two years ago but fell off the wagon. I've begun a hybrid between the C25K and Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run program from the runDisney website. My DS12 and I are "running" the Exepedition Everest Challenge in May! If you're interested, I've started a blog about this training experience and I'd love it if you would stop by and join the journey! Right now I'm only one week into the training but I'm feeling strong! Good luck everyone!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #936
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrush View Post
I'm a C25K enthusiast also! I "graduated" about two years ago but fell off the wagon. I've begun a hybrid between the C25K and Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run program from the runDisney website. My DS12 and I are "running" the Exepedition Everest Challenge in May! If you're interested, I've started a blog about this training experience and I'd love it if you would stop by and join the journey! Right now I'm only one week into the training but I'm feeling strong! Good luck everyone!
Good for you! I looked at your blog briefly...will check it out more later and follow along. I can't wait to hear about the EE Challenge! I like the Jeff Galloway program too. Let me know how that training works for you. I like the "permission" to walk aspect of it.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #937
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good for you! I looked at your blog briefly...will check it out more later and follow along. I can't wait to hear about the EE Challenge! I like the Jeff Galloway program too. Let me know how that training works for you. I like the "permission" to walk aspect of it.
So glad you stopped by the blog! I' having a blast with it and it's really helping my motivation and accountability for the training program. Since I'm older AND Pooh sized, I like the Galloway approach because it's much more humane for my poor aching joints!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #938
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:

Nice to meet you!!! Yay for more C25K fans!!! Sounds like you have some big "running" shoes to fill in your family! Bet that is great for motivation though!!! Oooh those 5Ks sound awesome! I really need to get busy and actually sign up for a 5K in my area! When are you guys going to WDW?

Quote:
Quote:
So glad you stopped by the blog! I' having a blast with it and it's really helping my motivation and accountability for the training program. Since I'm older AND Pooh sized, I like the Galloway approach because it's much more humane for my poor aching joints!
Yay! Going to check out your blog now! I have one too, in case anyone is intrested. Its at http://thereandbackagainandthensome.blogspot.com/

I'm new to blogging but I can't wait for the day when I can look back at these posts and see how far I've come!

And I have to tell you guys, I finished W8D1 yesterday and in case anyone heard the theme to Rocky playing... that was me because I FREAKING JUST RAN 2 MILES!!!!!!!!!! It was only a 28 minute scheduled run but I was so close I decided to just run until the 2 mile mark hit. It ended up being a 33 min run total but I'm so just so stinking proud that I did it!

Who knew that this little running thing would become so habit forming?!

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #939
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Congratulations for hitting that 2 mile mark! Today was my first day of the 3 and 5 minute run alternating (week 4). I was afraid that would be too much, but it wasn't. It wasn't simple, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think this program is great because it moves you along at just the right pace.

I'm going to check out your blog too! The running is addicting and with the way you two are going, blogging may be as well

Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #940
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Congratulations for hitting that 2 mile mark! Today was my first day of the 3 and 5 minute run alternating (week 4). I was afraid that would be too much, but it wasn't. It wasn't simple, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think this program is great because it moves you along at just the right pace.

I'm going to check out your blog too! The running is addicting and with the way you two are going, blogging may be as well
I honestly think at this point that the intervals are much harder to do than the contstant running! Good for you for knocking that out! Everytime there is a bump in time, I always get nervous that I can't do it but then my body always manages to prove me wrong! I'll take it. It really is a mental thing half the time!!

I've decided too that I do like blogging. Of course, I don't think I'm all that interesting so this is more or less just me venting or celebrating, whatever the case may be! But, I do enjoy reading other blogs and other peoples journeys! If you do make one, please post it!

My blog!!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #941
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DS12 and I are "running" the Exepedition Everest Challenge in May!
Oh I'm so jealous! I really want to do that, and so does DH, but he needs to back off from the jogging for right now as he was getting an achilles injury. He would be very sad if I did it and he didn't, and I don't want him to be sad. Plus, it's so expensive! And of course we would have to get back out there again. Maybe next year, sniffle.

Quote:
And I have to tell you guys, I finished W8D1 yesterday and in case anyone heard the theme to Rocky playing... that was me because I FREAKING JUST RAN 2 MILES!!!!!!!!!!
And here I thought I heard that music last night because for some reason the gym was playing it!

No seriously, the gym was playing some really odd music last night, and that theme was one of the things played. As I did my Week 9, 1st run. This is my redo of c25k; first time through was by *time*. This time through is by miles. So last night was actually 3 miles on the treadmill (at a bit of an incline), which is a first time. I cracked up when I heard that music....

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #942
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Oh I'm so jealous! I really want to do that, and so does DH, but he needs to back off from the jogging for right now as he was getting an achilles injury. He would be very sad if I did it and he didn't, and I don't want him to be sad. Plus, it's so expensive! And of course we would have to get back out there again. Maybe next year, sniffle.

And here I thought I heard that music last night because for some reason the gym was playing it!

No seriously, the gym was playing some really odd music last night, and that theme was one of the things played. As I did my Week 9, 1st run. This is my redo of c25k; first time through was by *time*. This time through is by miles. So last night was actually 3 miles on the treadmill (at a bit of an incline), which is a first time. I cracked up when I heard that music....
Too funny! Great job on the mileage!

I did W8D2 yesterday at the gym. It was uneventful but it did feel good to lap people! I usually am the one getting lapped (now mind you, they were all walking!)

Oh I am in the process of revamping my blog. I did rename it already though and changed the website address. I think it fits me a bit better. http://skinnygeekwithin.blogspot.com/

My blog!!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #943
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did W8D2 yesterday at the gym. It was uneventful but it did feel good to lap people! I usually am the one getting lapped (now mind you, they were all walking!)
I'm sure you were an inspiration to the walkers who *want* to be runners!

I "finished" the program again, though I think I'll keep on doing the 3 mile runs a bit longer before thinking of moving on. Maybe increase the incline a bit more so my legs really get used to something more like running on the ground, since I'm a treadmill-runner for training.

I did the last treadmill-run without anything to do but run...I haven't been using my music b/c when I run with music I run TO the music, which means I'm not listening to my legs and lungs. But on the last run, I forgot my Kindle, too. BORING!

So what do others do when they finish the program?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 01-13-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: making sure to mention the treadmill...hard to run on the sidewalk while reading a kindle!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #944
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

I'm sure you were an inspiration to the walkers who *want* to be runners!

I "finished" the program again, though I think I'll keep on doing the 3 mile runs a bit longer before thinking of moving on. Maybe increase the incline a bit more so my legs really get used to something more like running on the ground, since I'm a treadmill-runner for training.

I did the last treadmill-run without anything to do but run...I haven't been using my music b/c when I run with music I run TO the music, which means I'm not listening to my legs and lungs. But on the last run, I forgot my Kindle, too. BORING!

So what do others do when they finish the program?
When I finished it i did bridge to 10k
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #945
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

I'm going to do Bridge to 10K also but not right away. I think I'm going to try to get to running 5Ks 3 times per week and then start working off shaving time off my runs. Once I get them into a reasonable time frame then I'll start on the 10K training.

I need to get busy and start finding some 5Ks that I want to run now!

My blog!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: