Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
maslex
DIS Veteran

Any ideas on what to do for a 16yr old boy b-day party?

Not necessarily a "party" but both my boys know that their last big "hoo-rah" is their 16th birthday. After that, we'll bring them to dinner of their choice and maybe a small gift also. We've never had a problem with my oldest since his birthday is in August and we usually just have people over for a picnic/pool party. But my youngest's birthday is in March and we have to deal with the weather. We have had a few parties at the house when he was younger but our house isn't really that big to fit all kinds of people in, so his parties are usually "destination" parties (McDonalds, Chuck E Cheese, Dave & Busters, Laser Tag, Bowling, etc)

Last year we went to Dave & Busters. It was just me, hubby, DS17, DS15 and his girlfriend. He doesn't want to do that again this year but doesn't know what he wants to do. I had an idea of booking a party at the local laser tag place (we haven't been there in years) but they had a notice on their website that the place was closed until further notice due to a water leak & some damage.

So now, I'm trying to come up with something. Any ideas?
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

What a out a cruise or going to Disney if birthday is over winter break
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex
Not necessarily a "party" but both my boys know that their last big "hoo-rah" is their 16th birthday. After that, we'll bring them to dinner of their choice and maybe a small gift also. We've never had a problem with my oldest since his birthday is in August and we usually just have people over for a picnic/pool party. But my youngest's birthday is in March and we have to deal with the weather. We have had a few parties at the house when he was younger but our house isn't really that big to fit all kinds of people in, so his parties are usually "destination" parties (McDonalds, Chuck E Cheese, Dave & Busters, Laser Tag, Bowling, etc)

Last year we went to Dave & Busters. It was just me, hubby, DS17, DS15 and his girlfriend. He doesn't want to do that again this year but doesn't know what he wants to do. I had an idea of booking a party at the local laser tag place (we haven't been there in years) but they had a notice on their website that the place was closed until further notice due to a water leak & some damage.

So now, I'm trying to come up with something. Any ideas?
Do you have a paintball place near you? When I was a teacher, that was a favorite amongst our students. It is great fun with a few people or huge group and it isn't terribly expensive!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

We have an indoor batting cages, a rock climbing gym and an indoor go cart racing track in my town, all three are popular destinations for the teenage males. Doe your area have any of those type activities that he could gather a few friends and spend the afternoon hanging out and participating in?
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
FormrCastMbr
DIS Veteran

how about bringing a group to a Hibachi restaurant? we also have fun there. we also have a great bowling alley near and my gym offers parties with rock climbing, basketball etc .

do you have an,indoor water park near?
FormrCastMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
shortbun
Peacenik

My son and his friends always plan their own parties and have since they were in grade school. For the last several years, we've dropped them off at a mall with movie reservations and money for food.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
justjulie
I got it, I got it !
Always looking for new shops to draw ideas from
"Goober" has been mine forever

Indoor Skate Park

I rented the indoor skateboard park for my son and up to eight of his friends for a three-hour private party - he LOVED it!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Hooters. And leave the GF at home.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
mom2cookies
DIS Veteran

my son turned 16 last february, almost 17 already! Anyway, he wanted to have a group of friends and they played paint ball. Not real cheap, but there are deals out there. Then either invite back for pizza and cake or go somewhere for food and cake.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
MamaLema
Mouseketeer
I must eat at least one avocado a day!
Tying up Sayid and leaving Sawyer to die doesn't score brownie points with me

My teens enjoy indoor go-karting, glow in the dark bowling, Playdium (indoor video game heaven), and indoor trampoline park.
MamaLema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

I'm planning my son's 13. Our house is too small to have friends over and we also live 45min from most of his friends (goes to school 25miles away). The winter birthdays are difficult. Like you, my other son's is in summer - so much easier!

We ended up renting a room in the library 30 min from us, closer to his friends and our family. He can invite whoever he wants from school, having pizza and snacks... Photo booth, music. He doesn't want games. I might take Apples to Apples Or something just in case. He just wants to hang out. I feel bad bc we only have parties every few years and this one seems so low-key.

We will still take him out to eat as a family and he basically gets the whole weekend to do whatever he wants. He likes to eat at a hibachi place for his bday. One year we took our extended family and WOW was that expensive! Last year we didn't have a party but told his aunts/uncles/grandparents we were eating there but not paying for everyone. We might do that again.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

My 18yo DS and his friends like to go to a this place that has trampoline floors and walls. They play dodge ball and also just jump around for fun. It's called Sky High sports. I checked, they don't have a location where you are, but perhaps there is something similar there?
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #13
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

Seeing all these indoor activity places makes me quite envious!
We have a Chuck E. Cheese and skate place 45 minutes away. That's it.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
XYSRUS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
Seeing all these indoor activity places makes me quite envious!
We have a Chuck E. Cheese and skate place 45 minutes away. That's it.
Don't be nervous. An Xbox and a load of candy is all they need! Kids that age can do anything and you don' t have to pay for it all. We've gone snowboarding, paintball, Cedar Point, gokarts, and just hanging out. I have the kids pay admission and then I'll pick up the food or vice versa. Parents and kids get it by this age. There are some parents that throw huge parties at my one kid's school and that's ok too. The idea is to have fun with your friends!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Don't know how far it'd be from your house- but there's an indoor Wipeout course just south of Braintree, MA. We've never been but a friend mentioned seeing ads for the opening. They have a Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wipeo...74196135925606

(Note if you google, some references come up with it being in Danvers. It's in Abington.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: