Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

NEVER thought I would be one to become attached to our table servers but...

We are just off the Dream. We had party of 10 from age 3 to teens to 20 something to adults. Our servers were fantastic. We were not a "tough to please" group. We just had some little ones that struggled to sit and stay awake for that long and some plainer palates that dont enjoy the fancy fare. These 2 gents took care of everything for us. I honestly felt sad leaving them. I always thought people were strange saying how attached they got to their servers. Even my "cool" 19-25 crowd was saying we gotta get these guys again if we ever return. I realize it's their job to make us feel this way and it's not that we are special in any way, but they sure made us feel special. Job well done and kudos to you, Disney.
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

On top of the good "service" we just kinda clicked. By the end of the 2nd meal we were starting to understand each others humor. The 3rd and 4th meal and the last breakfast were just fun. We had some good humorous exchanges. Yes, now I get it. This was my 3rd cruise and now I have had the attachment experience
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Hopefully you named them on your comment card! That's very important to THEM in terms of perks, and ultimately promotions.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Hopefully you named them on your comment card! That's very important to THEM in terms of perks, and ultimately promotions.
Of course I did. 3 staterooms and 3 comment cards
Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
becpee
I see sock puppets

Our one and only experience and we also "clicked", I think ours had something to do with our very down to earth sense of humour and our shared homeland.
We were all very attached to each other and both of our servers cried on our last morning, I don't think that was an act.
Just for the record I balked at the whole "we got along so well, I want to have them serve us again if we cruise again" until I experienced it.
Now I get it

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

Chrismartinique, what were your servers' names? We had Carlos and Paolo on the Dream in December and loved them.
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

We were the same way the last time on the Magic. It was our 16th cruise and our fourth with Disney. We aren't married to Disney mostly due to cost but enjoy it every so often.

Our servers were so engaging and personable. Oddly enough, we had spent more time on the magic than our assistant server who was in his second week on the ship (in his first ever cruise job). He looked like be was having a lot of fun in his down time.

Anyway, I'm trying to convince my wife to do the 8-day out of Galveston at Easter and request these guys again. She's not convinced yet. We have a different booking on a different line and final payment is due in three days! I just found about the kids sail free promotion. I can't convince her especially since we have a week planned at Disney this summer for work.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismartinique View Post
Of course I did. 3 staterooms and 3 comment cards
Glad to read you gave them a shout out!

We have had some excellent servers as well. From our regular dining rotation serving team; to our Palo waiter. We always made sure to write them up on the end of cruise survey form. I hope DCL lets them see these during their reviews. Any former cast members out there that can let us know how DCL does this?
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

I too fell in love with our servers on the magic (Giuseppe and Goran). They were awesome! I will definitely request again when I go. I also write their names on comment card
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Glitzytraveller
Mouseketeer

We fell in love for Yekta and Jervis on Dream last January. We sailed on Dream again in Oct and we were able to seek them out again. It was great seeing them. Actually Yekta saw my son at Cabana's one day and made a point to get him his beloved sushi. We had requested them, but didn't luck out. Unfortunately, our servers in Oct. had big shoes to fill. They were alright, but they weren't Yekta and Jervis. I actually don't even remember their names.

Past Trips:
Disney Wonder January 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas October 2012
Disney Dream Bahamas January 2012
NCL Epic Europe Cruise May 2011
NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii Cruise June 2005
Disney Wonder Bahamas August 2000
Disney Big Red Boat Bahamas August 1992
Glitzytraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
lodge
DIS Veteran

DH actually thought head server had a ''thing'' for me because he complimented me each night. Last night, DH was sea sick, I went to dinner & hubby was jealous and suspicious. Silly boy!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
MrProjectionist
Earning My Ears

That is one of my favorite parts of a DCL vacation: when you get great servers that just make meal time wonderful! I especially love running into them around the ship throughout the day and they say hi and ask how your day is! It makes you feel right at home!

On the flip side, over my 5 cruises, 3 of the server teams have been phenomenal! 1 was mediocre at best and 1 was TERRIBLE! That is equally a bummer!

MrProjectionist
MrProjectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg91 View Post
Chrismartinique, what were your servers' names? We had Carlos and Paolo on the Dream in December and loved them.
We had Atmaja and Tiago and they were The. Best. !!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

We are going on our 8th DCL cruise in March. I usually request a dining rotation, not servers. Our servers are usually good; we've had a few mediocre ones, but never any bad ones. Well, after the server we had in Dec on the Fantasy, we are requesting him for March! We told him we'd be back & he'll be on the Fantasy until April 6, so he told us we could request him (which we did). Very excited! He was the best we've had in all of our cruises!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
susieyarb
Mouseketeer

If I have already requested a specific dining rotation (so we won't miss AP on our Palo night) is it too much for me to ask for specific servers as well?
susieyarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: