Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I life two hrs S of Disney and there is no way I would ever tent camp with no A/C. I would die. Some days are so bad just walking to the mailbox is a killer. My sister did a lot of tent camping but had an A/C hookup that she did for her tent.

There are a lot of post on here about tents and AC. Just do a search and you will find tons. Some have pics and instructions too.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #17
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Yes I am a Southern Bell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Wow, to each their own - by your name you must also be from the south. I am also a deep south girl, but this one *will not* sleep in a tent, and very much so will not sleep without AC ( except when forced to after some hurricanes )
LOL! Yes I am from the south. That may make a difference. I had rather go to Disney any day in July than in December with or without AC. LOL! I would even rather go in summer than spring or fall. I could not take the pool last October. I even had to put a jacket on one morning. I like for it to be good & hot for swimming and the water parks, beach or whatever. I like my shorts, my sandals, and not having to wear jackets! LOL!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

Definitely doable. We have done so many times with only fans to keep cool. Plus we spend all day in the parks so the only times we are at fw is early morning and late night. You will be surprised at how cool it gets when you sleep with a fan.

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Bell View Post
LOL! Yes I am from the south. That may make a difference. I had rather go to Disney any day in July than in December with or without AC. LOL! I would even rather go in summer than spring or fall. I could not take the pool last October. I even had to put a jacket on one morning. I like for it to be good & hot for swimming and the water parks, beach or whatever. I like my shorts, my sandals, and not having to wear jackets! LOL!
I agree with everything you say except the *no AC* part I can play during the day *sticky*, but can't take the humidity without AC at night.

I don't ever go, nor would we enjoy, the water parks any time except during the summer. It has to be hot for me to enjoy the water. I love the summertime at Disney - no bundling up in extra clothes on vacation. I stay home first - LOL We got caught once in Dec. '10 at WDW in very icy cold - it was simply awful for us, wasn't fun by no stretch of the imagination.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
PixieCamper
Mouseketeer

Get a roll of Reflectix from Home Depot and some binder clips from Office Depot.

Cut pieces of reflectix to fit the tops of your bunks and attach to edges with binder clips. Cut reflectix inserts for your window zips. Store all of that under your mattresses for each trip. They last for many years. Get a portable ac and close off one of your bunks during the hottest part of the day if you're there. Get a shady spot and put your awning up.

Did it for years with the camper staying around 78 in the hottest part of the day July 4th at the Fort and cold enough to have to turn ac up at night and in the morning. It's doable, we did for many years! It all depends on what's comfortable for you.

This is the one we used: http://www.3gorillas.com/amcor-12-00...FQTqnAodVVcAvw

love the remote in the middle of the night when it gets too cold.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
indimom
Are We There Yet?

We are planning to tent camp at the beginning of July and are bringing two box fans. We've never done this at Disney, but we have done it in northern Florida (near Destin/Navara) in July and it went well. It was "just" cool enough at night to be comfortable. We were probably getting some gulf breezes, but we also didn't have a fan on that trip (no electrric at our site).
I'm planning to bring a LARGE reflective tarp to suspend over the entire tent. Hopefully this will not only help with the rain, but will reflect the sun, and also help keep the tent cooler. If we can get it up right, we may be able to leave some of the windows open during the day and increase circulation without worrying about the interior getting wet.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
We are planning to tent camp at the beginning of July and are bringing two box fans. We've never done this at Disney, but we have done it in northern Florida (near Destin/Navara) in July and it went well. It was "just" cool enough at night to be comfortable. We were probably getting some gulf breezes, but we also didn't have a fan on that trip (no electrric at our site).
I'm planning to bring a LARGE reflective tarp to suspend over the entire tent. Hopefully this will not only help with the rain, but will reflect the sun, and also help keep the tent cooler. If we can get it up right, we may be able to leave some of the windows open during the day and increase circulation without worrying about the interior getting wet.
Well, there are definitely some people that try it. The *stickiness* of the humidity would be as much a killer for me as the heat with it.

Your tarp may help with the sun, but it could also just help the humidity build up on/in your tent with the daily thunderstorms. Guess it would depend on how high it is from your tent. Lots of luck!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
motherof4
Mouseketeer

We are planning to go the last 2 weeks of August, and I took a look at the daily temperatures of 2012, nothing above 82, yes I know that temp doesn't have the humidity tacked onto it, but definetly doable! Some people just can't handle the humidity, and in Ontario last July we hit record temps of 93-94 degrees, with smog alerts because we live so close to Toronto that the humidity caused poor air quality. I think we rely on A/C far too much, there was a time when there was no such thing and people survived! I grew up in a house were we didn't have A/C, I have it now, but definetly a luxury for me, and I know it is a necessity for everyone who lives south! You just have to know what your family can handle or can't handle for that matter
motherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherof4 View Post
We are planning to go the last 2 weeks of August, and I took a look at the daily temperatures of 2012, nothing above 82, yes I know that temp doesn't have the humidity tacked onto it, but definetly doable! Some people just can't handle the humidity, and in Ontario last July we hit record temps of 93-94 degrees, with smog alerts because we live so close to Toronto that the humidity caused poor air quality. I think we rely on A/C far too much, there was a time when there was no such thing and people survived! I grew up in a house were we didn't have A/C, I have it now, but definetly a luxury for me, and I know it is a necessity for everyone who lives south! You just have to know what your family can handle or can't handle for that matter
I'm not sure where you got those temps, but we've never experienced very many, if any, daytime temps of 82* for August in FL or on the Gulf coast where I'm from, let alone nothing *above* that??? It's more like 90-100*.

July & August in the deep south are the hottest months. I, too, grew up without AC, but it was hot. We also didn't have it in the schools. Now though, a different story, most every place has it, and we've been acclimated to it more than ever.

Yes, I suppose it is doable, but not for us. And don't count on those 82% and below days for August LOL.

Last edited by North of Mouse; 02-17-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Here is the Data

Here are the 2012 temps for the last two weeks of August plus historical averages from Accuweather.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lak...onyr=8/01/2012

Nine days in the 90s, 3 days at 89, one at 84 and one at 80. Yep, it's gonna be hot - and very humid.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)
plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 175

Last edited by bama_ed; 02-18-2013 at 06:11 PM.
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #26
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Well, there are definitely some people that try it. The *stickiness* of the humidity would be as much a killer for me as the heat with it.

Your tarp may help with the sun, but it could also just help the humidity build up on/in your tent with the daily thunderstorms. Guess it would depend on how high it is from your tent. Lots of luck!
We plan to elevate it a foot or so above the tent so hopefully it won't trap the heat or humidity. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by indimom; 02-19-2013 at 07:40 AM.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #27
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

It is doable, but it's not for me. We have a popup with A/C and have camped at the Fort several times June or August. Even with the A/C it's bloody hot. We get a nice shower and by the time we walk back from the bathhouse to the popup we're a sweaty mess again. We have actually decided no more Forting for us in the summer in the popup - I just can't handle it. But to each his own - many people do it and have no issues.

Oct 2013 The Fort***Aug 2013 POP/POR***Dec 2012 ASMo ***Aug 2012 ASMo/POR *** 2011 The Fort ***2010 Wilderness Lodge***2009 & 2007 The Fort ***2006- POFQ***1993- Poly Honeymoon
DH/myself the twins: DS14DD14
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
bama_ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenkl View Post
We get a nice shower and by the time we walk back from the bathhouse to the popup we're a sweaty mess again. We have actually decided no more Forting for us in the summer in the popup - I just can't handle it. But to each his own - many people do it and have no issues.
I'm like you, gillenkl. If you look at my signature you will NOT find a Fort visit in June, July, or August.

It's like when I tell my relatives in Ohio that we play golf nine months a year down in Alabama. They say, "Oh, you don't play in November, December, or January?" My reply is, "No, we don't play in June, July, and August".

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)
plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 175
Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

It also depends on what you are willing to put up with in order to visit WDW. Summer is the ONLY time we can vacation and can't afford a hotel, so we just suck it up and make the most of it! It's either that or not go at all (for us anyway). We do have an a/c in our pop up which always keeps the camper cool after a long day at the parks, but even when we camped in tents, it wasn't horribly bad with fans. Then again, we were in the parks all day and was only at the fort early morning and late night. Just depends on how 'delicate' you are

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
bama_ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401 View Post
It also depends on what you are willing to put up with in order to visit WDW. Summer is the ONLY time we can vacation and can't afford a hotel, so we just suck it up and make the most of it! It's either that or not go at all (for us anyway). We do have an a/c in our pop up which always keeps the camper cool after a long day at the parks, but even when we camped in tents, it wasn't horribly bad with fans. Then again, we were in the parks all day and was only at the fort early morning and late night. Just depends on how 'delicate' you are
Thanks Diva. It's a good thing I'm not delicate then.

While summer is the easiest time to go to the Fort, coming from Alabama like you we have found that there are up to six other weeks where it's possible to get in a week at the Fort.

See, the beautiful thing is while the summer is the easiest time to go, it's not the ONLY time to go.

Bama ED

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: