Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Possibly if I knew the owner. My aunt drives a 2001 Accord with 140,000 miles on it. She says I get to have it when she can't drive anymore. That's a few years off. She's done everything at the dealership and the engine area is as clean as a new car. It does have a new transmission though. It started going out just after the extended warranty ended on it. It was a known issue with that year, so it was expected.

Buying it from an unknown person, never.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

OP here again.
I think we are going to pass on rthe vehicle, even though it has been extremely well taken care of, I just can't get over the high mileage. With our luck, this is when things will start going wrong.
On another note, my dmom has an 09, loaded, which will be mine when she gives up her license (which might be many years from now...but still...)
Thanks again for all your input!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
We are looking at the possibility of buying DS a car (9 or 10 years old) and I wouldn't even consider something with that many miles.
It really depends on condition, and what an inspection with a top notch mechanic turns up.

My family/vacation/weekend car is 25 years old, although it only has 141,000 miles on it.

And DW and I work for companies that routinely run company cars 400-500,000 miles (Explorers, Escapes and E350 Vans for the most part).
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
I bought a Saab 9-5 SE when I was 19, it was 4 years old and it had about 90k miles on it. It's German, it's supposed to be well made. I put thousands into that car and the transmission finally blew. I vowed to never get a car with that many miles on it again!
Saabs are Swedish, actually, they went out of business last year.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
For me, anything over 200,000 miles is a rustbucket for where I live. I put 100k on in 5 years. My wife puts 100k on in 4 years. About 8 to 10 years old and I am spending too much of my time fixing rust every year to pass state inspection.
Being in California rust has never been an issue, I thought the automakers finally were treating the steel in such a way rust wasn't much of an issue any more. I know my FIL used to Ziebart his new cars, and if it rusted, Ziebart fixed it for free. He lives in the Houston area. But he didn't both Ziebarting his new 2000 or his new 2003, and not a speck of rust on either yet.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
It really depends on condition, and what an inspection with a top notch mechanic turns up.

My family/vacation/weekend car is 25 years old, although it only has 141,000 miles on it.

And DW and I work for companies that routinely run company cars 400-500,000 miles (Explorers, Escapes and E350 Vans for the most part).
For me, I would never consider a car with that many miles.

Your mileage may vary (ha ha punny).
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Too many miles and we've owned several Honda's. I have a '07 Honda Pilot right now (only 52K on it). 250,000 miles is about the most miles even a well maintained car will last. The engine just has only such much life in it no matter how much care you take. We run cars to about 135K at most before we buy new ones and we take meticulous care of our cars.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
90,000 miles? That's not even broken in yet. A German or Japanese car of 100,000 miles I consider the mechanical equivalent to a brand new American car (even better still at only 100k miles.)
I wouldn't touch a German car with 100,000 miles with your 10' pole, much less mine But yeah, as previously mentioned Saab is (or rather was) Swedish, not German

A lot depends on maintenance, how it's driven, and honestly just plain luck. I've seen cars that just were nothing by junk by 100,000 miles and the exact same model of car with 2-3 times that many miles having had almost no repairs at all and no reason to believe it wouldn't go that far again. It "just depends".
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
Would you buy a 1998 with over 230,000 miles on it? There are maintanence records showing excellent maintanence on this vehicle, always done at the dealership. DH says "If the price is right" and I say "No way!"
Is a vehicle really worth it with that many miles, even if the maintanence is excellent? I have never owned a Honda, so not sure if they can run forever.
Well, not from a dealer, a family known person we bought a 1999 CRV 160,000 miles for $2,700.00. But now it is cutting out. Just stopping for no reason. I was about to google any known electrical problems when I saw your post. If you buy something this old you will have to invest in timing if it has not been done, maybe tie rod, bearing, struts, or muffler. Our 1999 Camry just cost for parts $1,000 for the entire exhaust system, not labor.

I love having it, but could be a ,only pit at his age and miles. Hope it is nearly free.
Di
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Too many miles and we've owned several Honda's. I have a '07 Honda Pilot right now (only 52K on it). 250,000 miles is about the most miles even a well maintained car will last. The engine just has only such much life in it no matter how much care you take. We run cars to about 135K at most before we buy new ones and we take meticulous care of our cars.
Pick up a copy of Hemmings Classic Car. They usually feature one car a month that someone has driven 400,000 or 500,000 miles without touching the engine or transmission. Of course, those are all American brand cars, not Hondas and all are at least 25 years old.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: