Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

What a delightful resort!!

We have an eight night stay booked at VWL, but decided to come a day early, so needed to add one more night. We didn't have points for another night at VWL, so I booked an AP rate at POR. What a delightful resort.

We were in Alligator bayou in a room with the extra little bed (by the way, the mattress is 5.5' by 2.5' so not twin sized). The decor was very nice. Bed was comfortable (pillows were a little like a firm marshmallow though). The little day bed was so cute. When you opened it up, there was an alligator painted on the inside. Storage space underneath in three drawers.

Tub/toilet room was a little tight and whoever installed the toilet paper holder placed it one foot off the floor (right a thigh height when you are on the toilet - TMI, I know) so you don't need to worry if it goes over or under. You have to pull it straight up.

We were in Bldg 35 and close to the West Depot bus stop and the leisure pool. It was a pleasant walk to the food court where we picked up breakfast pastries and beverages to eat near the pool. My son is a horticulture major at LSU and he was having a ball taking photos and sending them back to his co-workers at the nursery to get info on them. If they don't have a sheet that tells about all the plants at the resort, that might be very nice addition.

But we loved our one night stay at POR and would do it again. We could stay there if we sold off our DVC points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

So glad you loved it! POR is my favorite place to stay. Love the grounds, the boat ride to DTD, the fishing hole and the southern themeing and music. For our next trip, my husband talked me into trying Beach Club, but to be honest, I will miss POR...

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

Last edited by gemini2727; 01-07-2013 at 09:45 AM.
gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
turning into fanatic
Earning My Ears

That is great to hear, my family is staying at POR in the Alligator Bayou for the first time in December and I have read great things about it!!

11/30/13-12/7/13 Staying offsite at house, surprising kids! My parents are coming along too!!

Spring Break 2012 - First visit to WDW(stayed at Orange Lake), very crowded but still had a blast!
turning into fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I feel in love with POR on my third visit and have taken several friends down as well. Everyone has had wonderful things to say about their stay at POR.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Agree with you completely. I think it's the grounds and landscaping that really add to my enjoyment of the resort. The room sizes are not ideal, but I can overlook that when I love everything else about the resort so much. When we don't want to spend the money deluxe requires, POR is a wonderful alternative and we are never disappointed.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Collette
Mouseketeer

I agree, too!! For years I never wanted to stay there. Just thought it was so big and wasn't sure I would like the theming. This October my adult children went with me and my daughter suggested it after a co-worker returned from staying at POR. So we gave it a try and I am SO glad we did.

I just love that resort!! We were in a royal room. Next time I want to stay in Alligator Bayou. This fall I rented points for a BLT studio. I'm very excited about that, but I know that I am going to be a little homesick for POR, too.
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We did the same thing before our last DVC stay and loved the resort, too. It was always our favorite of the moderates but the new room decor is very nice.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: