Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Handicap rooms and Hoyer lifts

I have a friend who is considering taking a DCL cruise in May. She would like to travel with her family, including her DMIL and DFIL. Unfortunately, her DMIL uses a wheelchair and they also need to sometimes use a Hoyer lift to transfer her to and from the bed. She wanted to know about how handicap accessible DCL is. I told her I know they have handicap rooms, but beyond that I do not know.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject they could share? Does DCL have Hoyer lifts in the handicap rooms that guests can use? Or do you have to transfer on your own without help of the Hoyer lift?

TIA
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I was in an HA cabin with a friend who uses a wheelchair. She was VERY pleased with the cabin. They have a roll in shower with a shower seat. The drain extends the full length of the shower to prevent water from entering the toilet area, and there is another similar drain between the bathroom and the cabin to catch anything that the first drain might miss.

At the toilet, there is an assistance bar that can be lowered by guests who need it or pushed out of the way for guests who do not. The desk has a wide opening, allowing wheelchair access. However, that means there is no center desk drawer. The balcony was also wheelchair friendly with a small ramped area allowing access. However, she was unable to open the heavy sliding door to the balcony.

This was on the Wonder.

Alan (CM in charge of dining) contacted us and asked if she had any dining needs. We asked for a table location on an aisle to facilitate the wheelchair. He replied that he had taken care of that as soon as he saw the HA notice and that she would be able to stay in the chair or transfer at dinner. She chose to transfer, and the serving staff would remove the chair and return it when the meal was finished.

I know nothing about the lift you mentioned.

Last edited by kcashner; 01-07-2013 at 05:47 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Okay, thank you, I will pass on the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I was in an HA cabin with a friend who uses a wheelchair. She was VERY pleased with the cabin. They have a roll in shower with a shower seat. The drain extends the full length of the shower to prevent water from entering the toilet area, and there is another similar drain between the bathroom and the cabin to catch anything that the first drain might miss.

At the toilet, there is an assistance bar that can be lowered by guests who need it or pushed out of the way for guests who do not. The desk has a wide opening, allowing wheelchair access. However, that means there is no center desk drawer. The balcony was also wheelchair friendly with a small ramped area allowing access. However, she was unable to open the heavy sliding door to the balcony.

This was on the Wonder.

Okay, thanks, I wil pass on that info.

Alan (CM in charge of dining) contacted us and asked if she had any dining needs. We asked for a table location on an aisle to facilitate the wheelchair. He replied that he had taken care of that as soon as he saw the HA notice and that she would be able to stay in the chair or transfer at dinner. She chose to transfer, and the serving staff would remove the chair and return it when the meal was finished.

I know nothing about the lift you mentioned.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

Disney does not have Hoyer lifts available. You can contact some Durable Medical Equipment companies near Cape Canaveral and see if they will rent a Hoyer. I have heard people mention Brevard Medical Equipment http://brevardmedicalequip.com/ for rental wheel chairs and electric scooters. They website has a page specific to cruise rental and they DO list patient lifts on that page.

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: