Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

place to watch football aside from ESPN?

DH is a huge 49ers fan and he just *has* to watch the game Saturday night. Problem is, he arrives at the Orlando airport at 6:10pm and the game starts at 8pm. We're planning on using Magical Express to get to the World. I know how crazy ESPN can get when games are on, and since I don't think he can make it there before the game stuff starts, I'm pretty sure our chances of getting in, even for a seat at the bar, are very slim. So where else can he go to watch? Anywhere is fine--in a park, not in a park, restaurant, bar, whatever. Thanks!
Giselle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

I love the Orlando Ale Houses - get the chicken fingers!
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

I was hoping for a place accessible by Disney transportation, but I looked up the Ale House and I think DH would LOVE it there; might definitely be worth getting a taxi! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There's noplace in the parks to watch football. There are no televisions accessible to guests in the parks (other than at 50s Prime Time but they show clips of 50s TV shows, not current broadcasting.)

Your best bet is a resort lounge, but many of them have only one or two televisions and you can't guarantee they will be tuned to the game you want to see, if it's the only pro football game at that time it's more likely a resort lounge will have it on. An offsite venue with multiple televisions like the Ale House or Buffalo Wild Wings would possibly work better. You don't say where you are staying, so I don't know what is in your area.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

We're staying at Port Orleans. Looks like we'll have to head off property...stupid football But since it's playoffs now I'm pretty sure this will be the only game on at that time.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Riverside has a large television in the lounge. I don't know what kind of TV is available at French Quarter. You can drop in and see if it's playing in one of the lounges, and if not, take a cab offsite.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Tiffany507s
Mouseketeer

Splitsville in DTD was showing a college football bowl game when DH and I were there this past week. They had some TVs outside in the bar area and I noticed they had TVs upstairs too...you could see them through the glass.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

Okay, thanks, we'll check out the lounges. If I can get DH settled at the Riverside lounge and he doesn't mind being left alone for a little bit then I can still go eat dinner with everyone else as planned at Boatwright's

Splitsville is also a good idea...and I want to check it out anyway, so that situation could work!

I'm so glad Dis is around
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
baler31
DIS Veteran

I second the Ale House. Great place to watch sports and the food is good for bar food. Ask for Joel if you like a little personality along with good service.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
DeadHead
Mouseketeer

The Complete Walt Disney World Guide for 2011 and 2012 writes that the Big River Grille is "Equipped with two televisions, the small bar can be a less crowded sports bar alternative to the nearby ESPN Club." I hope this helps in some small way, enjoy your trip!
DeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Riverside has a large television in the lounge. I don't know what kind of TV is available at French Quarter. You can drop in and see if it's playing in one of the lounges, and if not, take a cab offsite.
If it is the Saturday night game the lounges may not work as both resorts usually have entertainment on Saturday night. The smaller TVs over the bar are usually on with no sound.The pool bars are sometimes open in the evening (weather permitting) & both have TVs.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Now this is exactly why they need to re-do WWoS. They have a huge sports bar there that is hardly ever open, and it has tons of screens playing every game that is on. My DH would be there for the hockey games if they were open that late.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

That's true, on a Saturday night you'd run into Bob's performance in the Riverside lounge, no football then.

DTD sounds like it has extra options now, I've not been there since Splitsville opened. I know some of the other lounges at DTD had TVs although I don't recall multiple TVs. But if that's the only NFL game on you will find it somewhere.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the help everyone!! I'm feeling pretty confident now that we can find the game somewhere. And if not on property, we'll head to the Ale House!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselle22 View Post
Okay, thanks, we'll check out the lounges. If I can get DH settled at the Riverside lounge and he doesn't mind being left alone for a little bit then I can still go eat dinner with everyone else as planned at Boatwright's

Splitsville is also a good idea...and I want to check it out anyway, so that situation could work!

I'm so glad Dis is around
River Roost has live entertainment on most nights. Yehaa Bob is really good but the tvs at the bar will be the only ones on. You could try DTD. RFC and Paradiso has tvs. Crews Cup at YC is a nice place to watch a game. We schedule our trips around bye weeks and Sunday, Monday night games, when POR has the big tv on! LOL!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: