Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Air NZ - cheaper than Virgin (at the moment anyway) and direct flight to San Fran (don't have to go via LAX). I think though that there may be slightly less legroom (can anyone confirm if this is right?) and less baggage allowance (only 1 suitcase per person compared to 2 each with Virgin). But we went with Air NZ in 2011 and had a great experience - fantastic food and very friendly staff.
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5 View Post
Air NZ - cheaper than Virgin (at the moment anyway) and direct flight to San Fran (don't have to go via LAX).
Direct direct? Or Direct via NZ?
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
Direct direct? Or Direct via NZ?
Direct via NZ (advantage is that it doesn't have to go via LAX - I have missed connecting flights because of the madness that is LAX!)

Disney World - Sept/Oct 2015 or Dec 2015/Jan 2016???
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
shan08
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for your input! I did like Air NZ and the baggage allowance was 2 bags each. We flew Delta within the states and found them not too bad, very accommodating when we missed our flight from JFK.
For something totally different we are thinking of flying Emirates (i know call me stupid) but have always dreamed of seeing Dubai. Wouldn't go there for a 2 week holiday but a few nights would be great just to experience. Flights are reasonably priced. Adelaide to NY, then depart San Fran for 4 nights in Dubai then home. I know its around 26hrs each way, probably even stop over on the way for one night of decent sleep (cant sleep on plane).
What are your thoughts???
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #20
gogo65
Cheering for Disney

Shan, all airlines flying to the US, have a two bag luggage allowance, it is a requirement of some type.
The problem is if you are buying other flights separately, then you are limited to the usual domestics limits, however if you book it all on the same ticket then the two bags allowance will be for all of your flights

We have flown air pacific to lax (via Fiji) on qantas points, an absolute nightmare, qantas and virgin. Virgin is by far my favourite airline and we will be flying them again in a few weeks to LA.
I have also flown emirates to Europe and they were fantastic, I'm not sure I would fly to the states via Dubai, as it would be a massive flight. A lot of the emirate flights to Dubai stop in Bangkok, it is a nightmare, we were on the Tarmac for 2hours without aircon, while some passengers got off and others got on.
I would seriously reconsider unless it is a bargain flight!
DL Carousal Inn and Suites 12/09
Paris Disney 07/11
WDW Allstar Music 4/12

Last edited by gogo65; 01-08-2013 at 01:55 PM.
gogo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo65 View Post
Shan, all airlines flying to the US, have a two bag luggage allowance, it is a requirement of some type.
The problem is if you are buying other flights separately, then you are limited to the usual domestics limits, however if you book it all on the same ticket then the two bags allowance will be for all of your flights
!
I don't think this is true anymore AirNZ and air pacific are both 1 bag and so are some of the other airlines.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan08
Thanks everyone for your input! I did like Air NZ and the baggage allowance was 2 bags each. We flew Delta within the states and found them not too bad, very accommodating when we missed our flight from JFK.
For something totally different we are thinking of flying Emirates (i know call me stupid) but have always dreamed of seeing Dubai. Wouldn't go there for a 2 week holiday but a few nights would be great just to experience. Flights are reasonably priced. Adelaide to NY, then depart San Fran for 4 nights in Dubai then home. I know its around 26hrs each way, probably even stop over on the way for one night of decent sleep (cant sleep on plane).
What are your thoughts???
Try looking into those alliance websites (One World and Star Alliance) and see if you can price up round the world flights. That way you could go Adelaide, San Fran, NY, Dubai, Adelaide. You could even try adding a few nights in London or Paris. It might be a bight more expensive, but I don't think I could go both ways via Dubai, it's too far.
Dubai is a great place though. I spent a week there quite a few years back and loved it. Lot's to do.

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #23
shan08
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Try looking into those alliance websites (One World and Star Alliance) and see if you can price up round the world flights. That way you could go Adelaide, San Fran, NY, Dubai, Adelaide. You could even try adding a few nights in London or Paris. It might be a bight more expensive, but I don't think I could go both ways via Dubai, it's too far.
Dubai is a great place though. I spent a week there quite a few years back and loved it. Lot's to do.
Thanks for that. Would be great if i could do it like that and not have to do Dubaii twice but unfortunately i can't justify an extra $7000 for the four of us just to do so. Maybe we leave Dubai for another time if we do Europe in a few years. I will think some more.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #24
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan08

Thanks for that. Would be great if i could do it like that and not have to do Dubaii twice but unfortunately i can't justify an extra $7000 for the four of us just to do so. Maybe we leave Dubai for another time if we do Europe in a few years. I will think some more.
Wow, 7 grand. Way more than I expected. What a shame.

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #25
Kangarucci
Mouseketeer

Delta and United are both 1 suitcase.

Alaska Wonder DisneyCruise2014 Disneyland2014 Bahamas Dream DisneyCruise 2013 Hong Kong Disneyland 2013
B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean Fantasy DisneyCruise 2012 Disneyworld 2012 Disneyland 2012
Westbound Transatlantic DisneyCruise 2010 Disneyland Paris 2010
Western Caribbean DisneyCruise 2007Disneyworld 2007
Disneyland 2005
Disneyland 2004
Disneyworld 1994
Disneyland 1989
Kangarucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #26
gogo65
Cheering for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
I don't think this is true anymore AirNZ and air pacific are both 1 bag and so are some of the other airlines.
Oops sorry you are right, (its ok i am female therefore can admit when i am wroooong)just checked online and the rules changed in November 2009. Lucky virgin and qantas are still 2 per person
DL Carousal Inn and Suites 12/09
Paris Disney 07/11
WDW Allstar Music 4/12

gogo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: