Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
cmyers2
Earning My Ears

Pirates, Tips, and More....

We are newbies sailing in a couple weeks on a 3 night.

1. Do they still give out bandanas for Pirate Night.

2. I didn't prepay tips. How is that handled? Do I need cash or is it charged to my room? About how much?

3. My kids are 8 & 9. Although they won't spend a lot of time in the kids area, hubby and I want to check out the Skyline. So what's better Oceaneer Club or Oceaneer Lab?

4. Is breakfast in MDR a buffet or sit down?

Thanks in advance!!
cmyers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

It's my understanding they are still giving out the bandanas for pirate night. At breakfast you have the option of going to mdr or cabanas.
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

They will add the tips to your onboard acct the last night but you can go to guest relations if you want to adjust them.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
abitagirl916
Disneymaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmize View Post
They will add the tips to your onboard acct the last night but you can go to guest relations if you want to adjust them.
And Disney recommends $12 per person per day, but of course, as above, you can adjust the amount.
Tammy & Rachel -- 2/2004 AllStar Movies; 4/2006 Pop Century; 10/2007 Disney Magic; 5/2010 AllStar Movies; 6/2011 Disney Dream Double Dip; 9/2012 Shades of Green; 2/2013 AllStar Movies; 10/2013 Disney Fantasy-Western; 9/2014 AllStar Sports; 10/2015 Disney Fantasy-Western
abitagirl916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
ededmd
Mouseketeer

Unless they've changed recently, over the years the size of the bandana has shrunk. It is a small triangle shape. Small enough that it is appropriate for waving in the air, using to secure a small girls hair, or tying around your wrist / ankle. Don't think full size bandana.
ededmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
samily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers2 View Post
We are newbies sailing in a couple weeks on a 3 night.

1. Do they still give out bandanas for Pirate Night. I believe so.

2. I didn't prepay tips. How is that handled? Do I need cash or is it charged to my room? About how much?
The recommended tip amount is 12.00 per guest, per day. This covers your stateroom host, server, asst server & head server. This amount will be charged to your onboard account. You can adjust it up or down by going to Guest Services.
3. My kids are 8 & 9. Although they won't spend a lot of time in the kids area, hubby and I want to check out the Skyline. So what's better Oceaneer Club or Oceaneer Lab? The two are connected so the kids can move between the two, depending on the activity they are interested in. For the most part, the activities in the club are geared toward the younger kids and the activities in the lab toward the older kids.

4. Is breakfast in MDR a buffet or sit down? On the Dream, the Royal Palace is a sit down breakfast and lunch. If the Enchanted Garden is open, it is a buffet. Cabanas will be open for buffet everyday.

Thanks in advance!!
Enjoy your cruise!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers2 View Post
Is breakfast in MDR a buffet or sit down?

Thanks in advance!!
Royal Court (MDR) is total sit-down experience -- i.e., ordering from a menu.
Enchanted Garden (MDR) is a nice compromise -- buffet, but waiters still check on you, bring drinks, etc.
Cabanas is total do-it-yourself -- buffet and get your own drinks.

Cabanas offers outdoor seating if you want it, so that can add an intangible benefit to breakfast, but the MDRs have some beautiful big views, too, if you can score a window seat. The Enchanted Garden buffet seems nicer than Cabanas because you're in an MDR, but Cabanas actually has more variety. Honestly, you can probably create most of the Royal Court menu from the Cabanas buffet...it's just a matter of how long the Eggs Benedict might have been sitting on the buffet as opposed to being made fresh-ish in RC!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: