Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
jbshell
Earning My Ears

Hidden costs?

Are there any hidden fees I should know about or is everything upfront...
jbshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshell View Post
Are there any hidden fees I should know about or is everything upfront...
Hidden costs, as in.....?

Your cruise fare will cover room, meals (except adult dining venues), sodas/coffee/tea (from the drink staiton and at meals), entertainment (shows, movies), room service (excpet for excluded items), port fees and taxes.

Other stuff you pay extra for:
excursions
adult dining (Palo//Remy)
any drinks (alcoholic or otherwise) ordered in bars/lounges and from poolside servers, as well as room service.
tips (for room host and servers will be added to your onboard account)
tips for porters/excursion hosts
souveniers

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You can have a great cruise and spend essentially nothing beyond the advance payment to DCL and your tips.

On the other hand, you can CHOOSE to spend a small fortune on "stuff" if you wish.

What you pay DCL up front includes all port charges and government fees, food (there are a few things you can buy like boxed candy outside the theaters and adult dining upcharges), beverages at the beverage stations and most in the dining rooms (alcohol, specialty coffees, and virgin specialty drinks, smoothies, and canned sodas are not included). You can cruise without these things and never miss them. You can eat 6 meals a day if you choose and have unlimited fountain service sodas. Depending on the port, you may be able to walk to a beach or take a taxi ride...or stay on the ship and have a great time!...or you may opt to spend a lot on shore excursions.
Other considerations...photos, shopping, etc.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
jahber
DIS Veteran

As PPs said, no hidden fees once you've paid your tips! That's why I love cruising. On our last cruise my total shipboard bill was for $6.95 for a pen for my DS (he just HAD to have it ). The customs agent even inquired what we bought for $6.95, since it was such a small, oddly specific amount. . We didn't get off the ship at Nassau, so it was a truly all-inclusive vacation.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
mommy2allyandaveri
Disney or otherwise. Sucks
I will NEVER NEVER NEVER go on that ride again!

No hidden fees. It is entirely possible to have no bill slipped under your door on the last morning. We had 2 charges on ours, for 2 tastings and that was it. So nice not to have to worry about bills or cash at the end

mommy2allyandaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Whether spending extra or not, just make sure all people in your party -- adults and/or kids -- are on the same page before you get on the ship...otherwise, something like a few dollars here or there can suddenly add up to well beyond what you might be expecting. Going several days on a cruise ship without spending a little extra would take some serious willpower and self-discipline. My hat's off to the PPs who managed less than $50 (other than gratuities/tips)! You are a cruise line's worst nightmare - ha! (but my hero!)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
geoly1
Earning My Ears

Just got off New Years cruise & they are handling tipping differently then when we sailed April 2011 ... No suggested amount .. They charge your card a set amount for servers & room Stewart unless you go and say no at guest services .. At least that is what we noticed ... Could be construed as a hidden charge .....?
geoly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoly1 View Post
Just got off New Years cruise & they are handling tipping differently then when we sailed April 2011 ... No suggested amount .. They charge your card a set amount for servers & room Stewart unless you go and say no at guest services .. At least that is what we noticed ... Could be construed as a hidden charge .....?
While the actual procedure for the tipping is changed, the amounts aren't. The suggested tips for the DCL cruises has been $12 per guest per night every since we started cruising with them (2008). That breaks out to $4 per guest per night for your server; $3 per guest per night for your asst. server; $1 per guest per night for your head server; and $4 per guest per night for your room host.

Now the tips are charged to your onboard account at the start of the cruise. You can go to Guest Services at any time to adjust/remove the tips, if you wish. If you do nothing, the night before last, coupons and tip envelopes are left in your room. The coupons indicate (by name and position) what tips are being paid to each person. You tear the coupons in half, place half in the correct envelope (at this point you may add addional cash, if you wish), and hand them out.

I think it's much easier than everyone having to notify Guest Services as to how much in tips to charge to the onboard account at the end of the cruise as they used to do. And definately easier than having to bring along a bunch of cash for tipping.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoly1 View Post
Or you can pre-pay them prior to the cruise.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe
Whether spending extra or not, just make sure all people in your party -- adults and/or kids -- are on the same page before you get on the ship...otherwise, something like a few dollars here or there can suddenly add up to well beyond what you might be expecting. Going several days on a cruise ship without spending a little extra would take some serious willpower and self-discipline. My hat's off to the PPs who managed less than $50 (other than gratuities/tips)! You are a cruise line's worst nightmare - ha! (but my hero!)
Ha! My DH and I thought of it like a game--how can we avoid charging anything? Since it was our 2nd Bahamas cruise that year (darn you, last minute Fl resident rates!), we decided we could justify it only if we did no excursions, spa, adult dining, whatever. And you know what? It was a GREAT cruise! It didn't feel "low-budget" at all. Sigh. I may need to plan another cruise soon.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

My mom has done several cruises spending only the tip, and about $8 a night for a glass of wine from the bar with dinner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: