Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Thinking about taking a trip to Grand Canyon or Yellowstone with kids

We are thinking of taking our 8 and 3 year old to either the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone this summer but I know NOTHING about either of these places.

My main concern is that the 3 year old is way to young for this kind of trip.

Can anyone give me some guidance in this at all? Is one better than the other in terms of kids activities?

Thanks!

Krisitne
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

We did a week in Yellowstone/Grand Teton last fall when DS was 3.75yo. It was cold and snowy, and he enjoyed the snow. Old Faithful was the only visitor center still open, but they had a very good childrens room, with hands-on activities. I don't know, but would imagine some of the other visitor centers had similar. Our son did enjoy the geysers, and the mud pots; did not like the sulfur smells.

I have been to Grand Canyon as well, but not with kids. While the views are great, I don't know that small kids can appreciate it.

Do your kids enjoy hiking/taking walks? Both will include lots of that.
At Yellowstone you have a chance of cold and snow, even in the middle of the summer.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
newt2
Mouseketeer

There's FAR more to do in Yellowstone than the Grand Canyon.

Also the Grand Canyon, IMHO, is a bad vacation spot for summer due to the heat. It's quite extreme that time of year.

As for the three year old, I wouldn't worry. I took my daughter to Yellowstone at 3 and we had a great time. They even have a few hiking trails that are friendly to kids and those with mobility issues. You may have to slow down some with a small child but they really get a kick out of all the animals they'll see.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

I can tell you exactly how I felt about the Grand Canyon as an 8 year old.... Mom we drove all the way here to see a hole in the ground!?!?!?

Let's just say my mom wasn't too happy that we had spent all the time and money to get there for that reaction, but truthfully that is what I thought (and said). It wasn't exactly the reaction she was hoping for, but that is all i got out of seeing it! Now being in my late 20s I may have a better appreciation for it!

We also visited Yellowstone (I think I was around 10) and I loved the visitor centers and walking around seeing the animals and such!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
I can tell you exactly how I felt about the Grand Canyon as an 8 year old.... Mom we drove all the way here to see a hole in the ground!?!?!?

Let's just say my mom wasn't too happy that we had spent all the time and money to get there for that reaction, but truthfully that is what I thought (and said). It wasn't exactly the reaction she was hoping for, but that is all i got out of seeing it! Now being in my late 20s I may have a better appreciation for it!

We also visited Yellowstone (I think I was around 10) and I loved the visitor centers and walking around seeing the animals and such!
This cracked me up! I am 38 and think that even I might have the same reaction to the GC.
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Been to both, Yellowstone is MUCH better for kids, IMHO.

I, personally, love the Grand Canyon, but when my kids were little they considered it an annoying side trip from a Disneyland vacation that consisted of looking into a hole in the ground.

Lots to see and do in Yellowstone, may not be able to do the more strenuous hikes with a little one, but still plenty to occupy a family. Remember that is COLD in Yellowstone until well into May - I would advise mid-June or July. Another really fun family activity in Yellowstone is the Roosevelt Old West Dinner Cookout. Families who don't want to ride horses (or kids who are too little) can ride in the wagons.

Also worth a side trip is Cody, WY. Just outside the ummmm.... East Gate, I think, of the park? The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is fantastic (and a great value) and the old Trail Town was a lot of fun too.

Plenty of noisy pickup trucks cruise the main streets of Cody, the "rodeo capital of the world". During summer, tourism is huge business here, but underneath all the Buffalo Bill– linked attractions and paraphernalia, Cody manages to retain the feel of a rural Western settlement.

During summer months, the Cody Nite Rodeo happens nightly at the open-air arena on the western edge of town (8pm; $17; same contact info as Cody Stampede Rodeo).

Just east of the rodeo grounds off US-14 is Old Trail Town (mid-May– mid-Sept, 8am–8pm; $8; Tel:307/587-5302), a collection of buildings dating from 1879–1901 and salvaged from the surrounding region; among them cabins and saloons frequented by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Holding the nation's most comprehensive collection of Western Americana, Cody's Buffalo Bill Historical Center at 720 Sheridan Ave comprises five distinct museums (hours vary by season; $15; Tel:307/587-4771, Web: www.bbhc.org ). At the Buffalo Bill Museum, artifacts trace William Cody's life. The lives of western Native Americans are celebrated in the Plains Indian Museum while in the Whitney Gallery of Western Art, the contrasting styles of Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell command the most attention. The largest known collection of American-made firearms in the world is housed in the Cody Firearms Museum, while the Draper Museum of Natural History is lined with interactive exhibits and beautiful taxidermy displays.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip!

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Took my kids 8 and 5. They were in the its a big hole club. But we didn't hike etc. I think you should try to get into the canyon a bit if you want to keep them interested. They lived Sedona tho
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlevismom View Post
We are thinking of taking our 8 and 3 year old to either the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone this summer but I know NOTHING about either of these places.

My main concern is that the 3 year old is way to young for this kind of trip.

Can anyone give me some guidance in this at all? Is one better than the other in terms of kids activities?

Thanks!

Krisitne
Our first trip to Yellowstone with the kids, DD was a year and half and DS was 6 months. We stayed at the lodge this trip. Big bedroom with shower room down the hall (no tubs)

Grand Canyon - DD was 8, DS 7, DS 2

Yellowstone (camping this time) - DD was 12, DS 11, DS 6.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: