Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #286
JenM
DIS Veteran

A little old school Les Mis gossip...it's been rumored for a long time that the reason Eponine had a more prominent role in the stage version was because the original Eponine was having an affair with the show's co-director.

I liked having the Bishop at the end instead of Eponine. In terms of how the story was told in the movie, it made no sense for her to be there. She and Valjean had never met. Gavroche giving Valjean the note was how it happened in the book, Marius specifically sent Gavroche to try and keep him off the barricade.

I remember in the book, just before Valjean died, he was asked if he wanted a priest. Valjean said he already had one, and pointed upwards, possibly alluding that the Bishop was there.

In the end, it was Valjean's story. He spent a lifetime repaying that that debt of the stolen silver, and it was it was the man who made that deal with him welcoming him into heaven at the end, the debt repaid.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #287
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

I saw this last night with my oldest dd (17). I had seen the original more than 20 years ago on Broadway & then again las year with the Broadway touring group. I love Les Mis & everything about it so that may affect my jugdement of the movie.

I enjoyed it very much, I thought the "real" singing was raw & went well with the rawness of what the characters were experiencing. Marius was (for me) a no go...didn't get him at all. I loved Colm Wilkenson.

One thing.... I was uncomfortable with the 2 sex scenes sitting there with my DD. I think the scene in the Inn would have bothered/confused my youngest DD (just turned 12) The rest of the movie was fine but I just wouldn't want her to see that. Just my opinion.

Anyway, loved the movie but my oldest 17 year old did not...she went for the music & wanted to watch our Les Mis 25th anniversary DVD when we got home.
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Embassy Suites LBV/Boardwalk Inn *
mommykds is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #288
BillSears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornelius View Post
2- Because that song is awful and I would have been livid if they kept it in while hacking verses out of all my favorites.
I HATED the missing verses and the songs that ended too early. But I do admit most movie goers don't have the soundtrack memorized.
CR-77, Travelodge(DTD)-81, Poly-92, SOG-96, Offsite-97, ASMu-98, POR-03, Vistana Resort-04, WL-Sept 2006! CSR-December 2006, Pop-May 2007(first solo trip!), CSR-Sept 2007(Solo trip), and offsite-May-2008 visited Universal, SeaWorld, KSC and a couple of days at WDW. WL-March 2009 I turned 50 in WDW! May-10 Pop, Oct 2010- Pop for first F&W, Dec 2010-Pop for Christmas stuff, May 2011-POFQ. Pop Aug -14, Pop Sept-14, Pop Dec-14 and Pop May-15! Trip report from 1997:http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip....97/sears97.htm
BillSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #289
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornelius View Post
OH! And the fact that Eponine's part was taken out of Valjean's Death. I didn't actually need Eponine there, but I loved the harmony of the three voices. It gave me goosebumps, and I missed that a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
It bothered me that Eponine wasn't in Valjean's death scene as well. However, I thought about the fact that the movie never showed any connection between them. Gavroche took the note from Marius to Valjean, whereas Eponine takes it in the play. It's a brief encounter but at least they had a scene together. The reason I like seeing Eponine in that final scene is because of her strong connection to Marius. She walks out peacefully, no longer longing for Marius. After Valjean dies, he stands between Fantine and Eponine, and behind Marius and Cosette who are on the floor. The three hold their hands above the couples' heads, as if blessing their marriage from heaven. It's a really beautiful moment in the show, and I missed seeing it in the movie.
I loved the stage ending too. I missed the three-part harmony. I thought it all made sense. Eponine was in Heaven. Everyone in Heaven is connected. It was a dreadful place & time in history. She loved Marius. Valjean was Marius' FIL. She'd welcome him to heaven for Marius' sake.

Plus, in the Broadway show, as each person died, (except Javert,) the spotlight on them would grow brighter for just a moment, as if you could see God lifting their spirits from their body and taking it away to Heaven. With all the lyrics about God, faith, the light, "To love another person is to see the face of God!" "There is a flame that never dies." I used to weep buckets when that happened.

"Fantine:
Come with me
Where chains will never bind you
All your grief at last at last behind you
Lord in heaven, look down on him in mercy!

Valjean:
Forgive me all my trespasses
And take me to your glory

Eponine & Fantine:
Take my hand, and lead me to salvation
Take my love, for love is everlasting
(Valjean joins)
And remember the truth that once was spoken
To love another person is to see the face of God!"
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #290
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
I do like that the Bishop was there to greet Valjean. They added that part in for the 25th anniversary tour. We assume the Bishop died long before since he's quite a bit older than Valjean. He greets him and gives him a nod, as if saying he's pleased with how he turned his life around after stealing the silver. I love all of these subtle little moments, some of which were portrayed nicely in the movie, and some of which were not.
I do like that the Bishop was there at the end, too. But, I wondered if that was more because it was seeing Colm again. I missed it in the 25th anniversary tour. I'll have to go back & look. This is stuff I couldn't discuss before as I was under orders by Deb in IA not to discuss spoilers before all of you got to see it.

Oh, and when Javert gave his pin to Gavroche, that tore me up. Russell Crowe's best moment in the film. And he wasn't singing.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #291
Scornelius
Suburban Princess
My last doctor didn't even make eye contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
I do like that the Bishop was there at the end, too. But, I wondered if that was more because it was seeing Colm again. I missed it in the 25th anniversary tour. I'll have to go back & look. This is stuff I couldn't discuss before as I was under orders by Deb in IA not to discuss spoilers before all of you got to see it.

Oh, and when Javert gave his pin to Gavroche, that tore me up. Russell Crowe's best moment in the film. And he wasn't singing.
Yup.
Scornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #292
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
It didn't matter to me what high notes he did or didn't hit, because watching him walk through the rooms almost in a panic trying sort out what Valjean was thinking during that song, it was the first time I realized that "Bring Him Home" wasn't just about him praying to God to take him instead of Marius, it was the moment Valjean finally understood that he had to let Cosette go.
Stop it! You're making me get all teary-eyed at work!

So many emotional points to this story. And the more you watch it, the more emotional it gets, lol.

I literally couldn't get out of my seat when the movie ended the last time I saw it. I couldn't compose myself enough to walk out in public, lol. I just kept thinking, "FINALLY, Valjean has found his freedom!" which made me sob even more.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train

Currently reading: #34 Big Little Lies

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #293
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
AIn the end, it was Valjean's story. He spent a lifetime repaying that that debt of the stolen silver, and it was it was the man who made that deal with him welcoming him into heaven at the end, the debt repaid.
Stop it! You too!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train

Currently reading: #34 Big Little Lies

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #294
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Stop it! You're making me get all teary-eyed at work!

So many emotional points to this story. And the more you watch it, the more emotional it gets, lol.

I literally couldn't get out of my seat when the movie ended the last time I saw it. I couldn't compose myself enough to walk out in public, lol. I just kept thinking, "FINALLY, Valjean has found his freedom!" which made me sob even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Stop it! You too!
Those were both me! Sorry!! I was listening to the soundtrack on the subway this morning and it took everything in my power not to start bawling at that last song. Again.

One of my friends pointed something else out about the scene where Javert pinned the medal on Gavroche. The part of 'Bring Him Home' that's playing as he was pinning the medal is the "He's like the son I might have known, if God had granted me a son..." part.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #295
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Okay, we are back. I have a long review to post. I will first say that I'm glad I decided to go. I will agree with the previous poster that I found myself more emotionally involved in scenes that, with the stage version, had never touched me that much. Overall, I did enjoy the movie, and it moved me just as much, if not more in some places, as the stage version. However, the musical will always hold first place in my heart, not the movie.
I'm glad you decided to go, ugadog. And I agree with much of your review.

Quote:
The song was definitely there at some point. I have a friend who had some info on screenings of a rough cut in the UK earlier this fall that ran about 20 minutes longer than the final version. There was also a different ending that involved the end of the 1848 rebellion. From what I've read from people who saw that ending, they were glad it was changed back to the version we know.

There was an interview with Tom Hooper recently where he mentioned that "Dog Eat Dog" might be back on the DVD. I think it was just cut for time.

I'll be happy when they release a complete soundtrack. The version that's out now is missing half the songs! It's driving me crazy.

And I loved Hugh. I've seen him sing live on Broadway 7 times. He sang that part exactly like I know he sings. And I love how sings, so it's all good.

And I freaking loved his Bring Him Home. I loved it the first time I saw it, it made me cry the second time I saw it, and I loved it again when I saw it today.

It didn't matter to me what high notes he did or didn't hit, because watching him walk through the rooms almost in a panic trying sort out what Valjean was thinking during that song, it was the first time I realized that "Bring Him Home" wasn't just about him praying to God to take him instead of Marius, it was the moment Valjean finally understood that he had to let Cosette go.

Like with so many things about the movie, it just brought more depth to things than the stage version (which I love) can do. It was so good.
I hope the DVD or the extended version will have all the songs and all the verses that were cut. I really want to see the whole thing.

Hugh's voice, I think, is so different in timbre than Colm's, or Alfie Boe's, that at first, it sounds nasally, almost whiny. But after I got used to it, I was able to get past that and the emotionality really came through.

Quote:
A little old school Les Mis gossip...it's been rumored for a long time that the reason Eponine had a more prominent role in the stage version was because the original Eponine was having an affair with the show's co-director.

I liked having the Bishop at the end instead of Eponine. In terms of how the story was told in the movie, it made no sense for her to be there. She and Valjean had never met. Gavroche giving Valjean the note was how it happened in the book, Marius specifically sent Gavroche to try and keep him off the barricade.
You mean Frances Rufelle?

We re-listened to the orignial 1985 London cast recording, as well as the original Broadway cast recording. Wow, how things change after multiple versions! I remember thinking how good Frances was, but now, her voice seems so girly and not nearly as powerful as Sam Barks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post

Guilty as charged!
But a sincere thanks for not giving away these little differences for us! It made it so powerful to see them!

Quote:
Those were both me! Sorry!! I was listening to the soundtrack on the subway this morning and it took everything in my power not to start bawling at that last song. Again.

One of my friends pointed something else out about the scene where Javert pinned the medal on Gavroche. The part of 'Bring Him Home' that's playing as he was pinning the medal is the "He's like the son I might have known, if God had granted me a son..." part.
I read that the pin was entirely Russell's idea. If that is true, then I forgive him for the emotionally flat performance and vocals!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #296
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
I hope the DVD or the extended version will have all the songs and all the verses that were cut. I really want to see the whole thing.
Some of the verses that were cut in the movie were verses that had already been cut in the show. It was shortened by 20 minutes in 2000 to keep the running time under 3 hours, and they did it by cutting verses from the songs. The cuts to Castle on a Cloud, Little People, and Come to Me are the same in the current version of the show.

They actually put verses back that had been cut when the show was shortened: the whole scene when Valjean comes to the Thernardiers ("There is a duty I must heed, there is a promise I have made...") was entirely cut from the show, the only difference is that Valjean used to call the Thernardiers away for the "Now her mother is with God..." part, so Cosette wouldn't overhear. In the movie, they changed it to where Valjean sings that part and tells her that her mother has died. I loved that part in the show, I loved that they added it back in.

They also put back the "someone used to cradle them and kiss them when they cried" lyrics back into Turning.

I Saw Him Once is from the London recording, but it was cut before the show came to NY.

Quote:
You mean Frances Rufelle?

We re-listened to the orignial 1985 London cast recording, as well as the original Broadway cast recording. Wow, how things change after multiple versions! I remember thinking how good Frances was, but now, her voice seems so girly and not nearly as powerful as Sam Barks.
Yep. I keep forgetting she won the Tony for Les Mis. She was married to the show's co-director, but the gossipy part was that they were an item awhile back, hence Eponine's expanded role in the stage version. It's gossip, so who knows?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #297
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Some of the verses that were cut in the movie were verses that had already been cut in the show. It was shortened by 20 minutes in 2000 to keep the running time under 3 hours, and they did it by cutting verses from the songs. The cuts to Castle on a Cloud, Little People, and Come to Me are the same in the current version of the show.

They actually put verses back that had been cut when the show was shortened: the whole scene when Valjean comes to the Thernardiers ("There is a duty I must heed, there is a promise I have made...") was entirely cut from the show, the only difference is that Valjean used to call the Thernardiers away for the "Now her mother is with God..." part, so Cosette wouldn't overhear. In the movie, they changed it to where Valjean sings that part and tells her that her mother has died. I loved that part in the show, I loved that they added it back in.

They also put back the "someone used to cradle them and kiss them when they cried" lyrics back into Turning.

I Saw Him Once is from the London recording, but it was cut before the show came to NY.

Yep. I keep forgetting she won the Tony for Les Mis. She was married to the show's co-director, but the gossipy part was that they were an item awhile back, hence Eponine's expanded role in the stage version. It's gossip, so who knows?
Also, we noted that the original London cast recording has a different ending for Stars. It just kind of repeats a line and fades out. The last verse was added before it came to Broadway, and makes it a much stronger song.

Lord, let me find him, that I may see him
Safe behind bars, I will never rest, til then, this I swear
This I swear by the stars!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #298
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Also, we noted that the original London cast recording has a different ending for Stars. It just kind of repeats a line and fades out. The last verse was added before it came to Broadway, and makes it a much stronger song.

Lord, let me find him, that I may see him
Safe behind bars, I will never rest, til then, this I swear
This I swear by the stars!
That's right, it has that fade-out that goes right into Look Down. And that full version of Little People that sounds like it escaped from an outtake from Oliver.

When I saw the Broadway revival in 2006, they had changed the song for Gavroche's death scene to a song called "Ten Little Bullets", which, if I remember correctly, was to the tune of Castle on a Cloud:

Ten little bullets in my hand
ten little snipers neat and clean--
one for the king of this great land
two for the aristocracy
three for the bishops and the clergymen
four for the prefects of police--

give me a chance, I'll take the lot of them--
ten little chances to be free
Close your eyes, I'll say when, count to ten.

I believe that song had also been from an earlier version of the show. I was glad they switched it back to Little People.

I loved Gavroche's new lyrics in Look Down:

There was a time we killed the King
He tried to change the world too fast
Now we have got another King
He is no better than the last!

This is the land that fought for liberty
Now when we fight we fight for bread
Here is the thing about equality
Everyone's equal when they're dead.

Another reason I'm hoping for an extended soundtrack...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #299
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

Quote:
Guilty as charged!
But a sincere thanks for not giving away these little differences for us! It made it so powerful to see them!
Yeah, there was no way I could even mention to watch out for something that happens between Javert & Gavroche as you guys just looking and waiting for something to happen may have affected your reaction.

With all the changes you guys are mentioning, I'm wondering if I saw the same finished movie all of you did. I remember at the Q&A that Tom Hooper said he had just finished the final edit that morning. I thought he was exaggerating, bit I've seen blogs & reviews on the our screening that it was true.

But, my friend got the DVD screener a couple weeks later, really close to before she had to vote for the nominees. We though that maybe one wasn't going to be sent as that would be a big ticket item to get money from by bootleggers. Now I'm wondering if Hooper hadn't done some more cutting or adding to the final movie, if he had all that extra stuff.

JenM, I PMed you.
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #300
Scornelius
Suburban Princess
My last doctor didn't even make eye contact

Did anyone else find themselves going 'HEY! Where the heck is Do You Hear The People Sing?? We're halfway into act two already!!'?
Scornelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: