Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #46
livibug
Mouseketeer

We are 1 day after you.. should be interesting to say the least Two things that bug me about this whole thing, the $50 spending limit before a pin - you should have the option of requiring a pin for everything or at least being able to set the amount where a pin is required. You should also be able to get a text message recipt for anything - that way if someone gets a hold of or clones your band you can react quicker. Second thing is the park hopping and FP's - Several times in the past we have started the morning in MK then jumped over to HS and were able to get a FP for Rockin Roller Coaster for the final hours. Hope we can still do that - but I am not optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz View Post
Uuugh....I'm having severe anxiety as I am going in June ... Been plenty of times before, but of course this is my first time staying off site because of the size of our group... Hate this not knowing!

Dolphin, CBR, ASM, POP
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #47
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

The cat is officially out of the bag:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/bu...les.html?_r=1&

Not much new, except they don't say anything about it being available only to resort guests, etc. and that you can "pre-register" for the MagicBands.

And it does seem like personalized experiences will be dynamic, not just a chosen FP+ thing.

And I don't think this will solve the mentioned "gridlock".
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #48
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I have never owned a Smartphone and doubt I'll be getting one any time soon.
We park hop.
We sometimes stay offsite since my FIL has timeshare points he needs us to 'spend'.

I feel like we are being left behind by these changes. So sad.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #49
WNDMom
Mom to Will, Drew and Noah
my children are systematically destroying my house

We are going to first week of March. If Disney changes the FP process this late in my planning, they would throw me for a loop. Is there any information about when this will start and how long the old Fastpass will be up and running? I can't find anything but guesses.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #50
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

I'm not a technology guru, but my first question is to whether or not these could be 'hacked.' I saw in the NY Times article that your CC info is also linked to them, and you'll just have to scan your bracelet to buy something. Seems pretty unsecure to me
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #51
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDMom View Post
We are going to first week of March. If Disney changes the FP process this late in my planning, they would throw me for a loop. Is there any information about when this will start and how long the old Fastpass will be up and running? I can't find anything but guesses.
Nope. I'm sorry to say you'll just have to stay plugged in and wait for your answers.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #52
WNDMom
Mom to Will, Drew and Noah
my children are systematically destroying my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Nope. I'm sorry to say you'll just have to stay plugged in and wait for your answers.
I probably should change my reservations around, since we are park hopping every day. This is frustrating!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #53
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

"Guests will not be forced to use the MagicBand system, and people who do try it will decide how much information to share. An online options menu, for instance, will offer various controls: Do you want park employees to know your name? Do you want Disney to send you special offers when you get home? What about during your stay?"

I do appreciate this.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #54
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

I just posted this on the other thread about paper tickets. Then I read this thread and thought it might be added to your list...unless it's already been answered???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
I've got non-expiring tickets with water park fun and more. I'll use the last three park days in March, but I'll still have about 8 water park days left after that. If they transfer that ticket to a wrist band, I wonder what happens with the next ticket I buy? Will the wrist band hold multiple tickets so I don't lose my non-expiring water park days?

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #55
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Oh wow, I've kept my head in the sand about this and now I'm struggling trying to grasp it all!

We have a split stay in April (3 night package with 8 day tix followed by 6 night room-only). I can't seem to get my head around how this will work with the new system. Will resort guests still have the option of getting a KTTW card and doing FPs old school? If not, how does the wristband work with a split stay (for example, can I schedule all 8 days of FPs even though the package the tix are linked to is only 3 nights).

Signed,
So confused !

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #56
ktrask
Mouseketeer

This is making me wonder if we should stay off site or not. The off site option we have is a timeshare in the family, so when you put the cost of renting a car and the timeshare, it's pretty close to the price of staying at a place like All Star Movies. Granted the timeshare is a totally different set up and we'd save on being able to make meals.

It's DD first time, and a birthday trip...I'd hate to make a crucial planning mistake because information wasn't announced...DH will be happy for the trip when we are there, but he hates the planning. I'm trying to make everything as simple as possible and stress free as possible for him.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #57
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmichelle View Post
"Guests will not be forced to use the MagicBand system, and people who do try it will decide how much information to share. An online options menu, for instance, will offer various controls: Do you want park employees to know your name? Do you want Disney to send you special offers when you get home? What about during your stay?"

I do appreciate this.
I agree, and I think many aspects of it will be really cool and personalized, however, I'm not so sure about the SMALL number of FPs you'll be able to reserve, the fact that you can't also use regular FP, and the non-Park Hopping aspect. It seems pretty useless from that perspective.

For example: I'm not a thrill ride person, so when we go to DHS I take my ticket and DH's ticket and go get TSMM FPs and he goes to ride TOT standby while I am at TSMM. Then, when our window opens, he uses his ticket to get a FP for RNRC and my ticket to get a FP for Star Tours. He is able to ride EVERYTHING so efficiently. Under this new system, it looks like we'll have to each use our respective allottments individually, which means less opportunity to customize our trip to suit EACH of our likes/dislikes.
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #58
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Key words in that article are "vacation management system."

Three words that symbolise what is fundamentally wrong with this new system. You are effectively ceding some control over your decisions before you arrive. They give you the illusion of more choice, but in reality it's far more complicated as the above poster demonstrates.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #59
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
I'm not a technology guru, but my first question is to whether or not these could be 'hacked.' I saw in the NY Times article that your CC info is also linked to them, and you'll just have to scan your bracelet to buy something. Seems pretty unsecure to me
It says nowhere that your CC info is linked. It says that you can buy things, with it, and that you only need a pin for over $50.

This is EXACTLY the same way that KTTW cards work right now, except that they require a signature instead of a pin.

I suspect when someone gets their hands on this and an RFID scanner they'll post what they see. And it will be a ridiculously long string of numbers that look exactly like the numbers on your KTTW card on the bottom. And then probably your first name in clear text.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #60
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Key words in that article are "vacation management system."

Three words that symbolise what is fundamentally wrong with this new system. You are effectively ceding some control over your decisions before you arrive. They give you the illusion of more choice, but in reality it's far more complicated as the above poster demonstrates.
Agreed.

They still haven't addressed how groups that consist of people with AP's and those without can manage their fastpasses.

I'm going in April and the uncertainty of this whole FP+ is really irritating me. If my DD and I won't be able to use the same system, they will be hearing from me.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: