Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

boat transport? cabins@FW?

Hi! I am wondering about what resorts you can take the boat transportation to MK? Is it good transportation? Faster than busses?

Also what's it like @ the Cabins @ FW? Looks like you get a huge cabin with a full kitchen and lots of room at a pretty low rate. But apparently its... sparse? Far away from everything? I keep hearing bad things like you need to rent bikes and golf carts bc cabins are so far away from everything. Is that true? Are you supposed to get the feeling you are in a log cabin in the forest?

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

For information on Transportation, you can go to the Transportation board and they list the different modes of transportation, as well as helpful hints on how to get from point A to point B.

For information on Fort Wilderness, there is a bunch of info on the Camping Board.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
cuteduck223
Mouseketeer

we love the cabins, have been there 5 different times (only once with a golf cart--which we rented offsite for ess than half of disneys price). it is pretty spread out, but they have an internal bus system, and it picks up between loops, so even from the back of a loop you aren't walking any further than you would from most preferred rooms. Of course, then you need to take the internal bus to the bus/boat to your location. Internal busses come by every 5 minutes (sometimes less). We never had any problems, just planned an extra 15 minutes to get anywhere. We loved taking the boat to MK, and enjoyed Chip and Dale's sing a long campfire before the movie at night.

We also enjoyed having a porch early in the morning. We could prop the door and our DD3 could eat breakfast on the porch (gave her room to run a little, and she thought it was SO cool...)

The biggest downside we had...1 bathroom. But it was really only a problem when we stayed 6 plus a baby. (5 adults, a teen girl and a baby to be more exact).

First trip: 1989 -off site (but hey, I was 10!)
1991-Fort Wilderness
1997-Fort Wilderness
2000-Fort Wilderness
2002-All-Star Movies
2008-Pop Century
2011-Fort Wilderness
2012-September-Fort Wilderness
New Years 2012-AK Lodge
2013- July - Pop Century
Next trip: New Years 2013-Port Orleans Riverside!
cuteduck223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx610 View Post
Also what's it like @ the Cabins @ FW? Looks like you get a huge cabin with a full kitchen and lots of room at a pretty low rate. But apparently its... sparse? Far away from everything? I keep hearing bad things like you need to rent bikes and golf carts bc cabins are so far away from everything. Is that true? Are you supposed to get the feeling you are in a log cabin in the forest?

Thanks for any input!
We were there a few years ago with two cabins with our guests ranging from age 5 to age 70 (at the time). We never rented bikes or golf carts. We just simply walked to the bus stops and went from there. Yes, there is a transfer at the other end.

However, yes, you ARE supposed to get the feeling you are in a log cabin in the forest and that worked for us. If that's not for you, then don't consider the cabins.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: