Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

Parents of Nut-Allergic children - Restaurant Info

My son is treenut allergic (we actually found this out the first night of our Disney trip in August). The rest of the trip the restaurants did a great job of informing us of what foods were/werent safe for him. But I didnt have too much of a chance beforehand to research what restaurants had lots of nut-infested items on their menus since we didnt have any idea. So since then Ive been looking in preparation for this end of summer trip, as it will soon be time to make ADRs. So I thought Id make a list of restaurants we ate at, where most of the food items were safe as well as the restarants Im finding have many nut & peanut items on menu (which we will avoid if there is a lot of menu items).

Ohana - other than the peanut sauce & coconut welcome bread (which you can ask them not to bring) everything else was safe.

Rainforest - ended up eating here twice, all items on kids menu were safe, and there was only 2 dishes served that included nuts, that we were told are prepared by one person in a completely separate area.

Mickeys Backyard BBQ - we were told every item was safe, including the bread. My son ate everything here. Mickey ice cream bars are not safe though, but he was able to get a popcicle for dessert. But all the food on the buffet was safe.

Garden Grill - only item on menu with "may contain" warning was the bread, which we just didnt take.

Tonys Town Square - I believe the only unsafe items were a few of the dessert items (the cheesecake has an almond crust and the pistachio creme brulee).

CRT Breakfast - only unsafe item was a walnut bread on the pastry plate, and the other pastries have a may contain warning. We chose to not have the pastry brought to our table, we had plenty of other food.

Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys, Cape May, Hollywood & Vine - all the buffets we did fine at, there were a few salads we were told had walnuts on them, possibly a pasta dish prepared in peanut oil, some of the dessert items having warnings, but we always found plenty to eat.

Nine Dragons - havent eaten here, but in researching the menus, they have many items containing walnuts, cashews, and peanuts/peanut sauces on their menu. We will avoid this restaurant.

If anyone else has had good/bad experiences at any of the restaurants regarding allergies, please share! This is valuable advice for moms like me who have a severly nut-allergic child.
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!
Beach Club Villas - June 2014 leading up to Disney Cruise July!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If you simply note any relevant allergies or dietary intolerances on your ADR (either when you make it or before your arrival) ANY TS restaurant will send out their chef to speak with you and make sure that your meal is suitable to your needs. Really, really simplifies the whole process so there is less need to meticulously scour each and every menu in WDW.

Now CS is a whole nuther matter.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If you simply note any relevant allergies or dietary intolerances on your ADR (either when you make it or before your arrival) ANY TS restaurant will send out their chef to speak with you and make sure that your meal is suitable to your needs. Really, really simplifies the whole process so there is less need to meticulously scour each and every menu in WDW.

Now CS is a whole nuther matter.
Agree with this. All you have to do is put it on your ADRs. If you don't have an ADR, but are a walkup, just tell the host/hostess/server. They will get a chef to your table. Please don't limit yourself just by looking at what is on the menus. I am allergic to gluten. Even the restaurants that don't look they have much on the menu had options. The chefs will adjust many things to use different ingredients or even just make entirely different things that are not on the menu. The wonderful thing about WDW is that they do the hard work with allergies. You don't have to scour for what is in each item. They already know.

As for CS, they are more limited, but they do have the binders that show what is safe for the different allergies.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk806 View Post
My son is treenut allergic (we actually found this out the first night of our Disney trip in August). The rest of the trip the restaurants did a great job of informing us of what foods were/werent safe for him. But I didnt have too much of a chance beforehand to research what restaurants had lots of nut-infested items on their menus since we didnt have any idea. So since then Ive been looking in preparation for this end of summer trip, as it will soon be time to make ADRs. So I thought Id make a list of restaurants we ate at, where most of the food items were safe as well as the restarants Im finding have many nut & peanut items on menu (which we will avoid if there is a lot of menu items).

Ohana - other than the peanut sauce & coconut welcome bread (which you can ask them not to bring) everything else was safe.

Rainforest - ended up eating here twice, all items on kids menu were safe, and there was only 2 dishes served that included nuts, that we were told are prepared by one person in a completely separate area.

Mickeys Backyard BBQ - we were told every item was safe, including the bread. My son ate everything here. Mickey ice cream bars are not safe though, but he was able to get a popcicle for dessert. But all the food on the buffet was safe.

Garden Grill - only item on menu with "may contain" warning was the bread, which we just didnt take.

Tonys Town Square - I believe the only unsafe items were a few of the dessert items (the cheesecake has an almond crust and the pistachio creme brulee).

CRT Breakfast - only unsafe item was a walnut bread on the pastry plate, and the other pastries have a may contain warning. We chose to not have the pastry brought to our table, we had plenty of other food.

Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys, Cape May, Hollywood & Vine - all the buffets we did fine at, there were a few salads we were told had walnuts on them, possibly a pasta dish prepared in peanut oil, some of the dessert items having warnings, but we always found plenty to eat.

Nine Dragons - havent eaten here, but in researching the menus, they have many items containing walnuts, cashews, and peanuts/peanut sauces on their menu. We will avoid this restaurant.

If anyone else has had good/bad experiences at any of the restaurants regarding allergies, please share! This is valuable advice for moms like me who have a severly nut-allergic child.

You may want to post this on the allergy board, those folks have all the info you could ever need!

Have a great Trip!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

They can accommodate you anywhere. I'm tree-nut allergic (not peanut--they're in the bean/legume family) and have dined in almost every WDW restaurant. Even at Kona where their chicken option is coconut/almond crusted (which would send me straight to the ER), the Chef made me a grilled chicken entrée because I really preferred to eat chicken that night. They also made me something special at Artist Point, but I don't remember why or what the entrée was. It's never been an issue.

They really are very good about it. List it on your ADR and they'll come right out and talk to you.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the list! I've found WDW very accommodating with allergies. It's nice because I have 10+ allergies and eating out is often very difficult. The only place I found very unaccommodating was 50's Prime Time . Everything I wanted, the chef said wasn't safe. Which was fine, I understand it can be very difficult. However when I wouldn't order, they made me feel bad about not be willing to pick something that I didn't want to eat!

Nine Dragons also was quite unaccommodating but that was a soy issue, which I could understand since it was Chinese food. They weren't rude but it was clear the server didn't particularly care about trying to help us.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Combos
WDW Lodging Resident

I don't want to be cliche, but you should definitely mention it to your server. A couple weeks ago I went to one of the restaurants and one of my party ordered something that appeared to be okay based upon their assumptions. Luckily when the food came, there was some extra toppings, so we had it sent back. Upon asking for a new order, we mentioned the allergy, and the server promptly mentioned that a different piece of the meal actually contained something else this person was allergic too.

So don't make assumptions, just state the allergy I promise they will not get annoyed.

PS, the chicken has milk (dairy).
Combos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
720L
DIS Veteran

My DD is tree-nut/coconut allergic and all we eat is usually counter service. We've never had a place she can't eat at and everyone is wonderful with giving us allergy info & making her feel comfortable eating there. Disney is the BEST at food allergy.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

As everyone has mentioned, Disney is absolutely wonderful about allergy safety. I also have a tree nut allergy and have had Chefs personally walk me through the buffets at Boma and Hollywood and Vine. They've been extremely helpful and have answered any questions I've had. Don't let nut infested menus scare you away from a great restaurant. Disney knows their cross contamination safety and will go out of their way to accommodate your son!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: