Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Running on a track and counting laps

What are some of your creative ways to count laps on a track (specifically an indoor one where GPS methods don't work)?

I use a stop watch app on my phone and tap the lap button every time I pass a set point but it's annoying and sometimes doesn't hit right so I have to keep staring at my phone to make sure it worked.

I once saw a girl running and she'd get to the window ledge and pick up her water bottle. She set it down without taking a drink. Being an outdoor runner, I am bored to tears on an inside track so I take any opportunity to entertain myself so I watched her. She was moving the bottle to the next window for each lap. Genius!!!

What are some other lap counting ideas? I see a lot of people not carrying anything at all and I wonder if they are doing it in their heads or what.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
amy-momofthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run
What are some of your creative ways to count laps on a track (specifically an indoor one where GPS methods don't work)?

I use a stop watch app on my phone and tap the lap button every time I pass a set point but it's annoying and sometimes doesn't hit right so I have to keep staring at my phone to make sure it worked.

I once saw a girl running and she'd get to the window ledge and pick up her water bottle. She set it down without taking a drink. Being an outdoor runner, I am bored to tears on an inside track so I take any opportunity to entertain myself so I watched her. She was moving the bottle to the next window for each lap. Genius!!!

What are some other lap counting ideas? I see a lot of people not carrying anything at all and I wonder if they are doing it in their heads or what.
I had this problem keeping up with my laps,like you, I tried The iPhone stopwatch lap counter, using ABC's ( a =lap one, b = lap 2, etc.) then I found something called a pitch counter. It was in the baseball section at Dicks Sporting goods. It fits on your index finger and you click it after each lap with your thumb. It works great!! Good luck!
amy-momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

Having recently run 20 miles on an indoor track, I know it is tough to keep track (pun not intended). I have used a stroke counter for golf. I also have just used my fingers. A friend if mine transferred beans from one pocket to the other.
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyecinderella View Post
Having recently run 20 miles on an indoor track, I know it is tough to keep track (pun not intended). I have used a stroke counter for golf. I also have just used my fingers. A friend if mine transferred beans from one pocket to the other.
It's things like this that really work though!!! Technology fails and my mind fails but beans don't lie.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

I have a sport counter that slips over the index finger. Used it for pool training when I needed to count 176 lengths
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: