Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Doodledisney
Earning My Ears

Getting to port canaveral when flying

we have just changed our plans to fly instead of driving. We will be visiting Disney World after the cruise. It is just me and my DD, First Cruise! We do have to stay in a hotel the day before sailing because no flights are early enough for our 11:00 arrival time at port.
so in order to use disney transportation we would have to stay at the airport hotel, is this correct?
or Should we fly into MCO or Melbourne airport?
I am looking at the best money saving option as that means more money to spend on the cruise.
Thank you
Doodledisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodledisney View Post
we have just changed our plans to fly instead of driving. We will be visiting Disney World after the cruise. It is just me and my DD, First Cruise! We do have to stay in a hotel the day before sailing because no flights are early enough for our 11:00 arrival time at port.
so in order to use disney transportation we would have to stay at the airport hotel, is this correct?
I am looking at the best money saving option as that means more money to spend on the cruise.
Thank you
The DCL transfers from MCO only go to Port Canaveral. For Miami, I'm not sure there are DCL transfers (well, I know there are none from MCO, but other airports I don't know).

If you were going to PC from MCO, you don't have to stay at the airport hotel to use the DCL transfers, you just have to report to the DCL transfer desk the morning of embarkation to catch the bus.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

No, you do not have to stay at the Hyatt MCO to use DCL transportation. Many hotels in the area offer free shuttles to/from MCO. You can take a hotel shuttle to an off site hotel and return in the morning to catch the DCL bus.

Another possibility is to stay at one of the hotels that offers cruise transportation. The two that I'm aware of are the Hyatt Place NW and the Wyngate. Hyatt Place is cheaper and IMHO better.

We got hotel stay, breakfast, and ROUND TRIP cruise transportation for $121. If you look at their web under "specials" they have now separated out transportation for 2 vs. transportation for 4. If you use this option, after the cruise you can use the hotel transportation back to the airport and catch Magical Express (free) to Disney World OR you can pay for the DCL bus to WDW ($35 per person each way).

Bottom line, the Hyatt Place cruise transportation is a bargain even if you just use it one way!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodledisney
Thank you
I am renting a car at MCO, for one day, and dropping it off at the rental place near the port. I have found this to be cheaper than using disney transportation. Plus I do not think disney transportation will get you to the port until around 2pm, I could be wrong on that though.

When is your cruise?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Doodledisney
Earning My Ears

our cruise is March 3 2013-March 7 2013 on the Dream
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
I am renting a car at MCO, for one day, and dropping it off at the rental place near the port. I have found this to be cheaper than using disney transportation. Plus I do not think disney transportation will get you to the port until around 2pm, I could be wrong on that though.

When is your cruise?
The first bus from MCO departs about 9:30 and gets you to PC about 10:30. The bus from WDW doesn't arrive at PC till 1:30-2:00.

In my experience, a one way car rental + gas + tolls + tip to porters is about the same price as using the DCL bus....and the bus is easier. We've paid between $35 and $50 for a rental car; transfers are $70 each way. But the $35-50 is car rental only, not gas, tolls, and tips.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
KBT35
Mouseketeer

I have the same family make up as you! Just me & my kiddo! This is what I did!
I flew into MCO, took the shuttle for the hotel I was staying at the Renaissance Airport Hotel using my travel points. For embarkation day I booked transportation with RJ Transportation (407-341-1596), it was $90 ROUND TRIP for the pair of us!! They picked us up from the hotel at 11am, we were on board by 12:30! On disembarkation day they picked us up and took us back to MCO!
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Doodledisney
Earning My Ears

I found a hotel, a hampton inn that includes roundtrip from the hotel to port canaveral for $185 so I was thinking... Could I use the roundtrip for back to the hotel then take their shuttle to the airport and use the free magical express from the airport to Disney?
Is this worth the extra time or will I really loose park time?, We only have 3 days at the park, the day the cruise arrives back, the following day and the next but, our flight leaves at six
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh

When is your cruise?
I agree we're sailing in 13 days on dream. Got a rental car to pick up at MCO for $26 that's with taxes and fees. Only a hour drive to port. So we figure we will prob spend about 10-15 dollars to top off gas. And 5 for tolls..Disney transfer would cost us $105 for the 3 of us one way. Will drop car off at Budget, less than 2 miles from port and take free shuttle to port.. Easy, easy and half as much as disney transfer
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: