Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
Maybe you can answer a question I have. I already moved to FL and just got a job with Disney but I'm thinking that when our lease is up we should move closer to LBV, because I'm 40 mins away right now. What apartment complexes offer CM discounts?
Eyes and Ears will have ads towards the back of the publication. There are several different apts that offer CM discounts as well as Dentist offices, etc.
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
My work location forbid me from posting on the Dis if I identified as a CM. When I first moved down, I posted on the FAQ for the resort I worked at and was pulled aside by management the next day. They said you can be disciplined for things you post about your job, co-workers, or guests online.

Just be careful, they watch these boards like hawks.
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
WDW Poly Princess
Needs a Disney Fix
Cannot, under any circumstances, say no to a glazed Krispy Kreme
Let's just hope that I never get drunk and end up with Snape tattooed on my butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
My work location forbid me from posting on the Dis if I identified as a CM. When I first moved down, I posted on the FAQ for the resort I worked at and was pulled aside by management the next day. They said you can be disciplined for things you post about your job, co-workers, or guests online.

Just be careful, they watch these boards like hawks.
Thanks for being worried! I don't plan to write anything that would be considered "company info", it's more along the lines of practical advice from someone who has been there, if that distinction makes sense.

But Why is the Rum Gone? The Disneyween Trip ~*~No Day But Today- January 2007 Report

May 2000 - Poly & DCL * May 2001-WL, PO-R & ASMo * Dec 2001- PO-R, AKL, Poly, and WL * Nov 2002 -ASMu,Poly and PO-R * Dec 2004- ASMu, WL, PO-FQ, Poly, and PO-R * Dec 2005- ASMu, OKW and the Swan * Feb 2006- Pop Century * Jan 2007- ASMu, WL, AKL and BCV* Oct 2007-AS Sp,OKW, BCV, POR * Dec 2007- Gave up and moved there!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
WDW Poly Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Poly Princess View Post
You learn an awful lot by doing!
OK ... that doesn't really answer my question.

You apparently moved to Florida and started working for Disney. Great. So did I. I know what MY moves were like -- I'd have to do a lot of research to move someone else!

Who are the best realtors? What are the most pet-friendly neighborhoods / apartment complexes? How much difference is there between utility prices in Davenport vs. downtown Orlando? Where are the best hang-out spots for single parents? Who's the best mover? Where can I find cheap, safe long-term storage? Which cable company should I shoot for? Best & worst neighborhoods? How do I get a job at WDW if I have 23 years in the legal profession and I want to work on their Legal team? Any advice on how to get a concierge gig? And on and on ...

ETA: I read your "all about me" post (great info ... thanks!), but I'm still not sure know how your experiences would help if I were a single mom trying to find the best school system, or a retired couple looking for great housing in a neighborhood with lots of other retirees. Know what I mean? You may want to narrow down who your personal experiences / information base is best suited for.

I think it's wonderful that you want to use your experience to guide others. But if you're going to be discussing your own move and how you managed it and what your key learnings were, it would be helpful to know what that was (single mom, large family, one woman with 32 cats , whatever). "Moving to Orlando / Working for Disney" covers a lot of territory!

Last edited by WDSearcher; 01-03-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: new information, some questions answered
WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristmasElf View Post
Eyes and Ears will have ads towards the back of the publication. There are several different apts that offer CM discounts as well as Dentist offices, etc.
You can also find a lot of discount info on the HUB.

Remember, though, that the apartments that advertise in E&E are just that -- apts that pay to advertise. They're not the ONLY ones that have Disney discounts. You've got to ask. Most Orlando-Kissimmee area apartments have discounts for theme park workers (both Disney and others).

I've learned to ask everywhere I go if there's a Disney discount. You'd be surprised how many places have them! The closer you are to WDW, the higher the likelihood that you'll find a shop with a discount, but I've found places in Tampa and even Jacksonville that will give discounts to Disney CMs. Always ask.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
OK ... that doesn't really answer my question.

You apparently moved to Florida and started working for Disney. Great. So did I. I don't consider myself expert enough to offer other people advice on doing that. I know what MY moves were like -- I have no idea how to move anyone else!

So far, all I get from your blog is that you're young (20-something), an hourly CM in MK Tomorrowland, and you moved down a little while ago. I don't know that that would help if I were a single mom trying to find the best school system, or a retired couple looking for great housing in a neighborhood with lots of other retirees. Know what I mean?

Who are the best realtors? What are the most pet-friendly neighborhoods / apartment complexes? How much difference is there between utility prices in Davenport vs. downtown Orlando? Where are the best hang-out spots for single parents? Who's the best mover? Where can I find cheap, safe long-term storage? Which cable company should I shoot for? Best & worst neighborhoods?

I think it's wonderful that you want to use your experience to guide others. But if you're going to be discussing your own move and how you managed it and what your key learnings were, it would be helpful to know what that was (single mom, large family, one woman with 32 cats , whatever). "Moving to Orlando / Working for Disney" covers a lot of territory!

It's an easy way to get a lot of hits on the blog, which is against DIS TOS.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
Maybe you can answer a question I have. I already moved to FL and just got a job with Disney but I'm thinking that when our lease is up we should move closer to LBV, because I'm 40 mins away right now. What apartment complexes offer CM discounts?
You're with your mom, right? And you have a service dog? (Sorry if that's wrong ... trying to remember from other posts without actually backtracking to those other posts! )

You may want to pop over to the DISabilities board as well, since there's probably someone over there with a good handle on the most accessible apartments close to Disney (should you need that) or even knowing the ones that have the best facilities for your dog (nearby vets, dogwalks, etc). I know that pretty much every apartment complex is required to accept service dogs, but some complexes have much better dog facilities than others.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
I decided to start the new year off with a new series of posts on my blog that will cover all kinds of info and advice around moving to Orlando and working for Disney. I know a lot of people here are hoping/planning to make that move in the future, so I thought I'd let you guys know that I'm taking questions! If there's anything specific you'd like to know about, you can either email me (Crystal at lovemanythings dot net) or leave a comment on the blog post here!
Hey, Crystal, great to see you again. Thought of you on my recent trip to WDW. Was hoping to see you again. Maybe in April if I make it there again? Good memories of past meetups.

And what a great idea you have here!! Should be helpful for some who are planning a move. Neat.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
WDW Poly Princess
Needs a Disney Fix
Let's just hope that I never get drunk and end up with Snape tattooed on my butt

Quote:

Who are the best realtors? What are the most pet-friendly neighborhoods / apartment complexes? How much difference is there between utility prices in Davenport vs. downtown Orlando? Where are the best hang-out spots for single parents? Who's the best mover? Where can I find cheap, safe long-term storage? Which cable company should I shoot for? Best & worst neighborhoods? How do I get a job at WDW if I have 23 years in the legal profession and I want to work on their Legal team? Any advice on how to get a concierge gig? And on and on ...
I'd be happy to answer any/all of those, if they're things you're really curious about. I've never personally been a lawyer, but I have plenty to say about all the rest! (And several lawyer friends in town that I could pick the brains of) More than half of those are actually already in my outline of things to cover, but I'd be happy to look into the others if it will help you!

Quote:
I'm still not sure know how your experiences would help if I were a single mom trying to find the best school system, or a retired couple looking for great housing in a neighborhood with lots of other retirees. Know what I mean?
I get what you're asking here, and it's so cute that you have put so much thought into it! (I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic, I mean it literally!) The thing is, I'm not saying I have every answer to every question in the history of the universe. (Other than 42.) The whole point of doing the posts is that I get questions from people wanting to move there all the time, so I thought it would be fun to put some answers up in one easy place, so that I'm not constantly emailing/messaging/tweeting/etc. It's not a super-serious "omg, the world will end if I don't answer every question ever!" type of thing. It's to have fun sharing the things I've learned and experience I've gained with people that would like to hear it. If the idea doesn't appeal to you (And I don't mean you specifically, person who I quoted, just anyone), that's totally cool with me! There are eleventy billion other things you can do with your day. I mean, Grumpy Cat- he's awesome! Go look at some cat photos instead. I mean, goodness, I'm always amazed when people take the time out of their own projects and lives to read the stuff I write, ya know? They could be doing so many things, so it's super flattering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
It's an easy way to get a lot of hits on the blog, which is against DIS TOS.
Offering free advice is against the TOS?

I posted the link here because a lot of people here share the dream of one day moving to or working at Disney. I've seen links to people's blogs in their signatures for years, so as far as I know, linking to your site isn't against any rules. (But to be fair, I've never spent my day reading through the TOS and memorizing it.) If offering to help people really is breaking an official rule, please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Hey, Crystal, great to see you again. Thought of you on my recent trip to WDW. Was hoping to see you again. Maybe in April if I make it there again? Good memories of past meetups.

And what a great idea you have here!! Should be helpful for some who are planning a move. Neat.
Holy cow, Dan, long time no see! I'm glad to see you are still around here! Shoot me a PM next time you'll be around and I'll let you know if I'm in town!

But Why is the Rum Gone? The Disneyween Trip ~*~No Day But Today- January 2007 Report

May 2000 - Poly & DCL * May 2001-WL, PO-R & ASMo * Dec 2001- PO-R, AKL, Poly, and WL * Nov 2002 -ASMu,Poly and PO-R * Dec 2004- ASMu, WL, PO-FQ, Poly, and PO-R * Dec 2005- ASMu, OKW and the Swan * Feb 2006- Pop Century * Jan 2007- ASMu, WL, AKL and BCV* Oct 2007-AS Sp,OKW, BCV, POR * Dec 2007- Gave up and moved there!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I get what you're asking here, and it's so cute that you have put so much thought into it! (I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic, I mean it literally!) The thing is, I'm not saying I have every answer to every question in the history of the universe. (Other than 42.) The whole point of doing the posts is that I get questions from people wanting to move there all the time, so I thought it would be fun to put some answers up in one easy place, so that I'm not constantly emailing/messaging/tweeting/etc. It's not a super-serious "omg, the world will end if I don't answer every question ever!" type of thing. It's to have fun sharing the things I've learned and experience I've gained with people that would like to hear it. If the idea doesn't appeal to you (And I don't mean you specifically, person who I quoted, just anyone), that's totally cool with me! There are eleventy billion other things you can do with your day. I mean, Grumpy Cat- he's awesome! Go look at some cat photos instead. I mean, goodness, I'm always amazed when people take the time out of their own projects and lives to read the stuff I write, ya know? They could be doing so many things, so it's super flattering!
Sure, I can ask you what the best school system is and you can go do research and look it up. But if you don't have kids and you've never looked for a good school system, you can't give me any personal recommendations based on actual experience or first-hand knowledge. (And that's usually what people are asking for, because they can Google it just like you can.) I can ask you what neighborhood is best for retirees, but you're clearly not one yet (or else you are VERY well preserved! ), so you might not be the best source there.

I totally get what you want to do, and I think it's very cute and "Disney" of you to want to do it. (Also not sarcastic.) All I'm saying is that you might help people more if you kind of narrowed down what it is you can actually help with. And it's just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #26
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

Quote:
You can also find a lot of discount info on the HUB.

Remember, though, that the apartments that advertise in E&E are just that -- apts that pay to advertise. They're not the ONLY ones that have Disney discounts. You've got to ask. Most Orlando-Kissimmee area apartments have discounts for theme park workers (both Disney and others).

I've learned to ask everywhere I go if there's a Disney discount. You'd be surprised how many places have them! The closer you are to WDW, the higher the likelihood that you'll find a shop with a discount, but I've found places in Tampa and even Jacksonville that will give discounts to Disney CMs. Always ask.

Funny story - there is a funeral home on John Young Parkway that offers a Disney discount. We did not ask for it. It came up in conversation that my husband worked for Disney and they informed us. The fact that she got a Disney discount on her funeral would have tickled Grandma's funny bone. You truly never know where you will find one!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
lucas
°o°

I'm in! Thanks for starting the thread.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #28
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
Funny story - there is a funeral home on John Young Parkway that offers a Disney discount. We did not ask for it. It came up in conversation that my husband worked for Disney and they informed us. The fact that she got a Disney discount on her funeral would have tickled Grandma's funny bone. You truly never know where you will find one!
I know of which funeral home you speak. Oddly enough ... I used them too! And dad would have been proud.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #29
WDW Poly Princess
Needs a Disney Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
Oh wow, that's amazing. I wonder if it's related to the cemetery that follows me on Twitter. I got in the habit of asking in the strangest of places (although not quite THAT strange!), since you never really know who might say yes!

Quote:
Sure, I can ask you what the best school system is and you can go do research and look it up. But if you don't have kids and you've never looked for a good school system, you can't give me any personal recommendations based on actual experience or first-hand knowledge. (And that's usually what people are asking for, because they can Google it just like you can.) I can ask you what neighborhood is best for retirees, but you're clearly not one yet (or else you are VERY well preserved! ), so you might not be the best source there.

I totally get what you want to do, and I think it's very cute and "Disney" of you to want to do it. (Also not sarcastic.) All I'm saying is that you might help people more if you kind of narrowed down what it is you can actually help with. And it's just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore.

Don't you know that drinking water from It's A Small World is like the Fountain of Youth? I'm secretly 108!

And yeah, like I said in the "who are you post"- every single person's experience is going to be different, and I can only draw on my own. But I look at it sort of like reading trip reports. If you read the cruise trip report of a family of 4 that did a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Wonder, you wouldn't be like "This is useless, because I'm a single, peg-legged pirate doing a solo 4 night Bahamas cruise on the Magic!" Certain parts might not apply to your dashing pirate lifestyle exactly, but you would probably still pick up some ideas, it might spark some questions about your trip that you could then look into, and it's still fun and exciting to read!

I'm admittedly having some of the internet version of "stage fright" finishing up the first one! It always happens with things I write or create that I care about. At first you're like "I hope people read this!", but then it's a bit of "OH NO! People are going to read this!"

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #30
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I am so happy that you posted this. I had started reading your blog after reading a trip report of yours and love your writing style. While I have no plans of moving to FL, I will still enjoy reading your posts!!

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: