Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
peainapod
Mouseketeer

Bumper for crib with solid back??

Is there a specialty bumper for a crib with a solid back (convertible)? I've tried online but can't find one.

My crib looks like this one:

I really want to use a bumper (I know some people say no bumpers,etc...I am NOT here to debate just to find a solution)
peainapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

we had the same problem

Where the bumber meets the "head board" loop it back through on the outside of the crib. So it's basically doubled up on the side,

does that make sense? We arranged ours so where the folds are were at the point where the crib-side and head meet, then double it back on the outside of the crib and tie it back to itself.

Shanna-like-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod
Is there a specialty bumper for a crib with a solid back (convertible)? I've tried online but can't find one.

My crib looks like this one:

I really want to use a bumper (I know some people say no bumpers,etc...I am NOT here to debate just to find a solution)
I know you said you didn't want a debate, but I highly suggest you do some research in regards to bumpers before you put on in. I refused to use one after my personal research and I don't think it took anything away from either of their rooms. The American Academy of Pediatrics says they should be completely banned! Why risk putting your child's life for selfish reasons of "cuteness" for you?

ETA: spelling and clairty
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt

Last edited by thedonduck; 01-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Please research this. Last year a co-workers baby smothered in crib bedding.

The look is not worth the potential risk.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

You don't need a bumper, it's not worth it just to have a pretty looking crib.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Agree with the others. No bumper. Not only is it safer, save the money for something else.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

I know you said it was not open to debate but I know a woman personally whose baby smothered to death in a crib bumper. He was born the same month as my now-13 month old and I immediately took my breathable bumpers out when it happened...apparently they are just as dangerous. I have no bumper and put my baby in a sleep sack so her legs would not get stuck between the slats. Works perfectly.

DD1 (12), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Bumpers are not even legal in the state I live in.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Ok, I just did a little research since I had never heard of this and have no children. The Journal of Pediatrics released a 20 year study in this and there were 27 deaths over a 20 year period. So this is not a huge cause of death. Your baby is more likely to die while out for a walk in the stroller. I am of the " why take a chance" group of people, but I am also not a fan of fear mongering.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
Ok, I just did a little research since I had never heard of this and have no children. The Journal of Pediatrics released a 20 year study in this and there were 27 deaths over a 20 year period. So this is not a huge cause of death. Your baby is more likely to die while out for a walk in the stroller. I am of the " why take a chance" group of people, but I am also not a fan of fear mongering.
27 deaths that are directly attributable to bumpers -- e.g., strangulation. That was 1985-2005. Since 2008, there have been 28 additional deaths. The general SIDS guidelines from the AAP urge parents not to use them. They've been banned in Chicago and in Maryland. Reason enough not to use them, IMO. Why take a chance?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/18/health...ing/index.html
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

My understanding is that the bumpers do not fit on solid walls and essentially, you just put them on the slatted part. At least that's what my friends did who had cribs like that.

However, I am with the others, leave the bumper off. I had two boys in cribs (and still essentially are-converted to toddler bed). Did fine with no bumpers, no stuck legs. No, it's not as cute but who cares. It's the safety of your precious little one.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Help, Please!
Mouseketeer

You will never forgive yourself if you add the bumpers to be "cute" and something horrible happens to your child. Ask yourself if you could live with that.

(My apologies for being off-topic, but we know a devastated couple who lost their 1-month old. Worst thing in the world.)
Help, Please! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I personally would not use a bumper, either, but...

My honest opinion is that the crib pictured is absolutely GORGEOUS and a bumper would detract from the beauty of it. I love the crib the way it is in the photo!

Don't crib bumpers come in several pieces anyway? If you are adamant about using a bumper, I would put a bumper on the three slat sides and put nothing along the back of the crib. It would look weird with a bumper. I Googled "solid back crib" and some have bumpers attached along the backside and I think it looks strange.

I would just go with a beautiful printed fitted sheet instead. You don't want to detract from the crib.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

have never needed a bumper....3 kids = my youngest is 16 months, still in the crib and never had a problem....you may need it if you keep them in there all day, but cribs are meant for sleeping.......
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #15
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
have never needed a bumper....3 kids = my youngest is 16 months, still in the crib and never had a problem....you may need it if you keep them in there all day, but cribs are meant for sleeping.......
This response is beyond ridiculous. Are you seriously insinuating that she is planning to get a crib bumper so that she can just throw the baby in a crib all day instead of taking care of it?!! The responses in general are crazy, everyone acts like if she gets a bumper she is threatening her childs life just for vanity!! She already said she wanted advice on what bumper not a discussion on whether she should get a bumper or not. I bet if she was planning to put the bumper on a drop side crib people would already be calling CPS on her! Everything in life has a small risk to it, if you do enough research you can find that a small number of babies have been killed by virtually any item out there. To the OP I have no advice on how to make a bumper work on a crib with a flat back but I can tell you I have a 9 & 10 year old who are alive and well despite sleeping in a drop side crib with a bumper. Also I did put them in there sometimes to play quietly alone! I guess it's a wonder that they are alive and seemingly well adjusted given the death wish I had on them as infants

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: