Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
disykat
DIS Veteran

I would only go if I was specifically asked. Even then I would feel unnecessary and would try to be very sensitive about making myself scarce so the mom and dad could have time alone unless for some reason the father wasn't able to be there.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander
I've always followed the rule of, what laboring mom wants, laboring mom gets. Im always thrilled and honored when invited to such an awesome event and wouldn't pass it up for anything else in the world .
Word for word!!
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

You should go. She wants you there.

I don't have a sister so I've never been asked. My SIL had c-sections and my brother/SIL don't have kids. My mom and dh was with me when my first was born. It was just me and dh with second, the dr barely made it.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
TotalDreamer
Mouseketeer

Yeah I think with hospitals it's always "acceptable" to go if the family member or close friend wants you there for whatever reason.

I went when my aunt had her first baby and my sister in law had her sister and friends there (I don't know if they were there during labor, but soon after delivery at least).

Last edited by TotalDreamer; 01-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
TotalDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Since your sister asked, I think you should go. Just make sure she's fully admitted before you leave your house to make the trip. I was sent home two times before they actually admitted me. I had a slow labor.
On the other hand, her sister asked her to come and she lives 2 hours away. My first was born 3 hours after I arrived at the hospital (and I only live at the most 30 minutes away from the hospital if there is a lot of traffic!).

So...depending on what her sister is wanting (i.e. in the delivery room?) -- it might make most sense to call before going if it is something obvious like her water broke -- if that is the case, you know they are going to admit her.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Definitely go.

In our family, having a baby is a family affair. Even for the ones waiting hours on end in the waiting room. Everyone is there for the big arrival. Babies are such a miracle, no one wants to miss out.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #22
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Some other things to consider are the timing and what arrangements you have for your own child. I went into labor at 2:45am and called everyone who wanted to be at the hospital around 3:30am (we were on our way to the hospital then). All of our family lives 2 1/2 hours away. My mom let my younger sister miss school and she came along, but she was old enough to take care of herself while my mom was with me and DH during delivery. I don't know how old your child is, but before you 100% commit to being there, you need to run through all of the possible scenarios and have the appropriate plans in place. Best of luck!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #23
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzmom3 View Post
Does your sister want you to wait in the waiting room for hours or does she plan to let you in the laboring room. If she just wants you to come and wait, you may be there 6-20 hrs....waiting. Especially with a first baby.

I would need more info before I advised you on a course of action.
Or in some cases, 29 hours of waiting.

If your sister wants you there, and you want to be there, then go of course.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #24
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarker View Post
Definitely go.

In our family, having a baby is a family affair. Even for the ones waiting hours on end in the waiting room. Everyone is there for the big arrival. Babies are such a miracle, no one wants to miss out.
No way would I have wanted my family in a waiting room for 24 hours (and that was after 12 hours of labor at home) followed by me out cold for 8 hours while everyone else saw the baby before me. Yikes.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Robbi
DIS Veteran

I went to the hospital for a woman in labor twice. The first was for my now ex SIL was in labor. The other time was when my daughter's nanny was in labor for her son.
In neither my nor my husband's family do we usually go to the hospital for a laboring woman.
If I had a sister though and she wanted me there, I'd definitely go for her.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #26
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
My sister is due with her first baby any time now. (First baby in our family...my DD was adopted) Sis is planning to call me when she goes into labor b/c she lives two hours away. DH thinks it is stupid that I'm planning on going to the hospital. He thinks that I should wait until she's at home. (I thought about this, but since Sis asked me to be there, I am definitely going.) Do you go to the hospital when a family member is having a baby?

ETA: Was supposed to be a poll, but I forgot how to do that!
If my sister was having a baby I would BE THERE! My sister videotaped my youngest being born.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #27
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

My DD is 12. If the phone call comes in the middle of the night, I am not leaving until morning. And, if it comes during the day when I know DD is in the middle of a test or quiz at school, then I'll wait it out a little. I don't have to be there the exact second that she calls, but I don't see the point in waiting for days either since she's asked me to come. DD and I have our electronics charged and ready, so we can wait it out at the hospital or we can hang out at my parent's house. For all the times that we've hung out in hospitals waiting on DH's family to go through surgeries or watch them dying, I don't get why he thinks waiting at the hospital for this is a big deal.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #28
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Your sister wants you there and you're able to be there. Why is your dh even questioning this?
See, that's what I'm wondering? Is this going to put him out in some way? For goodness sake, go be with your sister!!! Your husband is just wrong. Don't be mad at him, just ignore him, lol!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
My DD is 12. If the phone call comes in the middle of the night, I am not leaving until morning. And, if it comes during the day when I know DD is in the middle of a test or quiz at school, then I'll wait it out a little. I don't have to be there the exact second that she calls, but I don't see the point in waiting for days either since she's asked me to come. DD and I have our electronics charged and ready, so we can wait it out at the hospital or we can hang out at my parent's house. For all the times that we've hung out in hospitals waiting on DH's family to go through surgeries or watch them dying, I don't get why he thinks waiting at the hospital for this is a big deal.
Who knows why he thinks waiting at the hospital is a PITA. Frankly it is odd that he does not even want you to GO to the hospital. That part is weird. I mean, of course you are going to the hospital! DUH.

How exciting for you guys!!!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

My sister called after her water broke to say they were headed to the hospital, if i had said i wasn't going she would have walked across the road and drug me to the car. Not once did my husband say i shouldn't go.

Your sister asked you to be there, be there!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: