Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachnElli View Post
I agree 100%! This is a lot more than getting to retake tests or not.

This quote is from the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention:
90% of people who die by suicide have a diagnosable and treatable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.

Afsp.org
Anyone know what the suicide rate was back in the 60's, 70's or 80's?

I didn't know anyone during my high school/college years that committed suicide. My DD (17) knows three different people who took their own lives. So sad.

I believe it stems from mental illness. I am just wondering how those with mental illness dealt with it "back in the day." Maybe the suicide rate was just as high and I was just lucky enough to have friends that didn't go down that road.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I think another thing driving up the numbers in that age bracket is the military and veterans. The number of suicides coming from the armed forces has been staggering.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
penn19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I don't even know where to begin with either of these opinions. I'm just dumbfounded that this is a reaction to the issue of suicide in the under 35 set.
Sorry that I gave the impression that I was saying suicide was based on retakes. Not at all. I was agreeing with the pp and there was another pp who said that it wasn't like that at her dd school.

I am not quAlified to say why so many suicides or are there more now then back in the dAy.

Continue on with the thread.......
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
BrerMom

My hero, zero

Of course the ability to retake or not retake tests does not cause suicides. It was merely an example of what I see daily: I am worried that we are not helping our kids learn how to deal with disappointment because we protect them from feeling disappointed, almost at all costs. Obviously I feel strongly that if we could help kids learn to handle disappointment at a younger age, they might be able to handle the triggers for depression, etc., better.

Think about your child's school. What is the ratio for counselors to students? And I'd be willing to bet that actually counseling kids one-on-one is a very small percentage of their required duties.

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

This thread really hits home with our family. My son attends a very difficult, highly-rated private university in Pittsburgh. One week before finals in mid-December, his friend in the computer science program committed suicide. The boy was the most well-rounded, optimistic and happy go-lucky guy on campus. Everyone is still shocked. No warning, no signs. Scary stuff when your children are thousands of miles away in college. These schools can be real pressure cookers. The workload is out of control.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #21
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Medication plays a role, too. Everyone I knew who attempted or committed suicide was already on medications of some sort. Everyone is on something these days, including children. I'm not talking about substance abuse, either. I'm talking about antidepressants and other drugs, prescribed by a doctor. Doctors hand them out like it's nothing and almost all of them come with depression and suicide warnings. Read your labels! Be careful of what you take and what you give to your kids. Even my daughter's asthma medicine comes with such warnings. Sometimes, they hurt more than help.
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #22
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom View Post
Medication plays a role, too. Everyone I knew who attempted or committed suicide was already on medications of some sort. Everyone is on something these days, including children. I'm not talking about substance abuse, either. I'm talking about antidepressants and other drugs, prescribed by a doctor. Doctors hand them out like it's nothing and almost all of them come with depression and suicide warnings. Read your labels! Be careful of what you take and what you give to your kids. Even my daughter's asthma medicine comes with such warnings. Sometimes, they hurt more than help.
In my opinion, antidepressants should only be prescribed by psychiatrists. People wouldn't take diabetes meds prescribed by their dermatologist but darned if they won't take something for depression or anxiety a derm would recommend. These medications can cause all sorts of personality changes and should be monitored closely. Not to mention a lot of them take several weeks to work and people could still be struggling. I also think they should not be prescribed for anyone who is not also in therapy.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: