Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Head Injury? Update and more questions, post #29/page 2

My 13 year old was snowboarding the terrain park, fell of a box, and hit his head on the metal rim. He says he didn't lose consciousness, but I wasn't there to see the accident. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet, as I imagine it could have been a disaster otherwise. However he's still very sore on that side of his head and he says his head is throbbing.

I called the nurse hotline for my insurance and they said, give him Tylenol, watch him, wake him every 2 hours, but don't bring him in to the ER unless he vomits, has double vision or the headache gets dramatically worse.

Now, I'm regretting calling them. I feel as though I'd feel better taking him to Urgent Care at least, but now that I've been specifically told not to, I imagine my insurance won't cover it.

Am I being crazy to think about taking him in? Would you?

Last edited by Mickey'snewestfan; 01-08-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I would WITHOUT A DOUBT bring him to ER. Its best to be safe than sorry. Good luck! hope he's ok.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

ER. He can always the pain got worse. And the hotline said if the pain was worse then go in. You don't want to mess with brain injuries.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

They diagnosed over the phone without seeing the patient. If you are still concerned taje him. His health comes first. And if the insurer tries to deny the claim you have grounds to fight it.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
low-key
DIS Veteran

I would just keep an eye on him, back in the day when i was kid, we get hit in head all the time, spanked by parents and cats scratch us and we never thought anything about it . Its all generational
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan
My 13 year old was snowboarding the terrain park, fell of a box, and hit his head on the metal rim. He says he didn't lose consciousness, but I wasn't there to see the accident. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet, as I imagine it could have been a disaster otherwise. However he's still very sore on that side of his head and he says his head is throbbing.

I called the nurse hotline for my insurance and they said, give him Tylenol, watch him, wake him every 2 hours, but don't bring him in to the ER unless he vomits, has double vision or the headache gets dramatically worse.

Now, I'm regretting calling them. I feel as though I'd feel better taking him to Urgent Care at least, but now that I've been specifically told not to, I imagine my insurance won't cover it.

I don't think your crazy. At one point my mom worked for a catholic charity home distributing meds to the mentally handicapped and one of them was born "normal", hit his head when he fell off the swing and his mom didn't know not to let him sleep. He woke up handicapped, mentally and physically. I say better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the head.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Definitely take him to the ER. There was a young man who died here this past week in a snowboarding terrain park accident. He was wearing a helmet too.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
JessB320
DIS Veteran

I would go ahead and take him into the ER. Most urgent care facilities are not equipped to deal with a head injury and will send you to the ER anyway (my experience from many years in a hockey playing family, and now with a family of snowboarders ) tell him good job on wearing a helmet too!!!!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Chiropractor ! Sounds like a neck injury to me.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

I think Hillary Clinton and Natasha Richardson are good examples of how what seemingly is a minor bump on the head may need more medical attention than you think.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
I would just keep an eye on him, back in the day when i was kid, we get hit in head all the time, spanked by parents and cats scratch us and we never thought anything about it . Its all generational

Back in the day we didn't know what we know now. Chances are the OP's son is fine. But you don't mess around with a head injury. Early treatment of a concussion can make a huge difference in the outcome.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

You'll all feel better once he is looked at. Err on the side of caution and get him looked at.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about the insurance. I don't think they can deny your payment based on what a nurse says over the phone.

That said, my daughter was kicked in the head by one of her horses when she was 15. It was a fluke accident (this horse was way too lazy to get his feet off the ground on a normal day). Wouldn't you know he was the only one in the barn with shoes on at that time too?

She saw stars and probably did lose consciousness momentarily. She actually had a hoofprint on her forehead and on her hip. Her head was hurting really bad. I carried her to the ER immediately. They examined her, said she had a concussion, and pretty much told me the same thing the nurse on the phone told you.

If it will make you feel better, go ahead and take him. I probably wouldn't be able to help myself , but they may tell you the same thing. You might watch him a couple of hours to see if his head seems to be better.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
dagroulx
Earning My Ears

I say take him as soon as possible. As a mom that had a child with a head injury , it is vital to have him evaluated. It took my son nearly 6 weeks before he was totally headache free. Don't wait! Hope all goes well.
dagroulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

I would take him to the ER and have him checked out to be on the safe side.

My insurance company has a nurse line too, but it has nothing to do with our insurance company paying or not paying for a medical bill.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: