Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #646
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

I am back. Been back a week but cam back with the flu. Will post some picts and info here soon. Would I go Amtrak again? I am not sure. Yes and no. More to come
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
LuvEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #647
lisa-upnorth
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
I am back. Been back a week but cam back with the flu. Will post some picts and info here soon. Would I go Amtrak again? I am not sure. Yes and no. More to come
ya can't leave us hanging like that

Hope you had a great vacation!!!
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #648
barter4
Earning My Ears

What if any are the options for storing luggage at Union Sta to see the sites in D.C. during a 7 hour layover? Thanks
barter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #649
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa-upnorth View Post
ya can't leave us hanging like that

Hope you had a great vacation!!!
Seriously....can't wait for your pics!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #650
Teacher03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barter4 View Post
What if any are the options for storing luggage at Union Sta to see the sites in D.C. during a 7 hour layover? Thanks
If you are in a roomette or a bedroom you can store your luggage in the amtrak lounge. If not, Union Station has a place you can store your luggage, but it is costly.

Early 1970's-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1994-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1998-Boardwalk
July 2005-Cypress Point
June 2006-Pop Century
June 2007-All Star Movies-All girls trip!
June 2009! Windsor Hills-All girls trip!
June 2012-Bonnet Creek
June 2013-Back at Bonnet Creek
Teacher03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #651
barter4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher03 View Post
If you are in a roomette or a bedroom you can store your luggage in the amtrak lounge. If not, Union Station has a place you can store your luggage, but it is costly.
What do you consider to be "costly"? It might be worth it to be able to kill a couple of hours with 2 depressed post HPOE kids
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #652
barter4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by barter4 View Post
What do you consider to be "costly"? It might be worth it to be able to kill a couple of hours with 2 depressed post HPOE kids
Tiburon Lockers. Up to $11 per hr for " multiple bags of 3" definitely considering it
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #653
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We leave our luggage on the baggage carousel, they pick it up and store it and when we're ready to board the next leg, we get a Redcap to get luggage and take us to the train.... We do this from a recommendation from a Redcap....cost us nothing..... But we're in between trains and our luggage was in the baggage car so that's how it gets on the baggage carousel ....and we're waiting to board another train in 6 hours!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #654
barter4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
We leave our luggage on the baggage carousel, they pick it up and store it and when we're ready to board the next leg, we get a Redcap to get luggage and take us to the train.... We do this from a recommendation from a Redcap....cost us nothing..... But we're in between trains and our luggage was in the baggage car so that's how it gets on the baggage carousel ....and we're waiting to board another train in 6 hours!
Thanks Pepe that may be the way to go
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #655
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

To further indulge in the topic.... We board at home at an unmanned station Dover have to haul our stuff on board and stow it.... That's northeastern Ohio to DC.... At DC, we check our bags and then have the 6 hour layover waiting for the south bound train... Wife likes to roam the station, I'm a sitter and reader and enjoy the concourse.....

Leaving at the Kissimmee station to come home we again check our baggage and board the train with just our small carryons, and when in DC is where we leave our luggage on the carousel where they pick it up and put in a holding room, while we wait the again 6 hours for the west bound train to Ohio... We then get a Redcap (Amtrak in station porters) to help us board... They retrieve our luggage, help/drive us to the correct train and car all for a tip... Way before general public boarding lines up....

Be doing this for years, only way for us!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #656
nicole83
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa-upnorth View Post
7:00AMTrain leaves Albany headed to NYC Penn station.-where we will connect to our 'overnight train'.We are having fun and enjoying the fabulous views of the Hudson River on this sunny morning!Saw tugboats and tankers and lighthouses-OH MY!We arrive in NYC by 10 AM and are greeted by the mobs of people there"We are not in Kansas anymore..."nothing like the rural life we have at home!
I'll be taking the Amtrak from Providence to FL, we have a connect at the NYC Penn station as well, is it difficult to find which train you are boarding at Penn Station?? I'm a little nervous about that lol.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #657
nicole83
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to take the Amtrak to FL! We have a roomette. I think I'm as excited about the train ride as I am about the trip!!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #658
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole83

I'll be taking the Amtrak from Providence to FL, we have a connect at the NYC Penn station as well, is it difficult to find which train you are boarding at Penn Station?? I'm a little nervous about that lol.
Might be a bit intimidating, but not hard. Penn Station is served by Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR (Long Island Railroad) and NYC Subway (aka MTA). Amtrak shares tracks with NJ Transit. When you get off the train look for the large board that will have all the Amtrak and NJT trains listed. That board will show the train number, name, track number and departure time Amtrak only uses a few tracks so it won't be too hard to find.
There will be hoards of people, but stay aware and only ask Amtrak employees for information.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #659
Miffy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
I can't wait to take the Amtrak to FL! We have a roomette. I think I'm as excited about the train ride as I am about the trip!!
Assuming you have time between trains, because you have a roomette, you can go to the Acela lounge at Penn Station. They'll let you know when your train's boarding and which track. It's very pleasant to wait there. Much nicer bathroom than the public restrooms at Penn Station. When we were there in December, an Amtrak employee took all of the passengers in the lounge to the gate when the track was announced, so we didn't have to wait in the line.

But even if you don't go to the lounge, they clearly post the track on a GIGANTIC board at least 15 minutes before departure.

Last edited by Miffy; 01-06-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo
Miffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #660
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Hi all! I am going to read through this thread and look foward to seeing the newest pictures.

I am headed to Disney via Amtrak, Newark, NJ on March 21, 2013.
It says to Orlando. Is that the stop that I wanted, not Kissimmee, is that correct?

It will just be me when I get off with a carryone and a piece of luggage.
Is it better for me to get in a cab (will one be there) or should I arrange a taxi to pick me up? If so, whom would I call.

Thanks all VERY much!
js is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: