Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #61
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

"And the odds you'll become ill or die due to a scratch are roughly the same as winning the lottery."

And once in a while, someone wins the lottery, don't they?

Not to belabor the point, but rabies is nothing to play with. I agree that the OP will very likely not contract rabies from her scratches, but what a chance to take! The NYS Board of Health was clear to us that my daughter needed the vaccine after her feral cat scratch...

A Disney online community may not be the best place for advice on proper animal rescue, but it is also not a great place to get medical advice on something so serious, which is why I would recommend calling her doctor.

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #62
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRN View Post
Right now if you go into the ER with cat scratches you'll likely leave with the flu.

I think you handled the situation appropriately. You cleaned the wound and I'm sure you will watch for infection. No, you probably shouldn't mess with stray cats, but you probably already know that and the risks you take.
You a nurse? What's your advise about possible exposure of rabies doctor?
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #63
hellow
Mouseketeer

While I don't want to belittle the OP for her kind efforts (I can understand how a feral kitten could seem a little less difficult to catch and cage), I did get a shock when I read that someone in Oregon got the Plague from being bitten by a cat. The owner was trying to retrieve a mouse from the cat's mouth and got bitten in the process. I know the man was in the hospital for many weeks, had some amputations, and for a while they didn't think he would live.

It is truly amazing how a seemingly harmless animal can wreak such havoc on people.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/oregon-...ry?id=16806758

Last edited by hellow; 01-06-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: ADD LINK
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #64
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2727 View Post
"And the odds you'll become ill or die due to a scratch are roughly the same as winning the lottery."

And once in a while, someone wins the lottery, don't they?

Not to belabor the point, but rabies is nothing to play with. I agree that the OP will very likely not contract rabies from her scratches, but what a chance to take! The NYS Board of Health was clear to us that my daughter needed the vaccine after her feral cat scratch...

A Disney online community may not be the best place for advice on proper animal rescue, but it is also not a great place to get medical advice on something so serious, which is why I would recommend calling her doctor.
You are correct that a Disney forum is NOT the place to go for medical advice, and I would never dream of advising AGAINST seeing a doctor. I was just trying to inject some common sense and preclude any fear, because the reality is that getting rabies from a cat scratch is virtually impossible, in real-world medical terms, even if you were scratched by a cat that turned out to be rabid, which even a feral kitten is EXTREMELY unlikely to be.

There are less than 300 cases of rabies PER YEAR amongst cats in the entire United States, according to the CDC. And that's out of roughly 90 million cats. (Dog rabies is even rarer, at well less than 100 cases per year.)

And other illnesses, like cat scratch fever, while possible, are rarely serious. The vast majority of cases of cat scratch fever, which may sound like a scary disease, don't even require medical care (see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002581/).

The thing you should be concerned about, if anything, is infection, and, obviously, if the scratch shows any signs of pus, severe or worsening redness or swelling, or becomes hot to the touch, then you should be worried and seek medical attention. Otherwise, keeping the wound clean and dry is a very reasonable course of action.

Last edited by coopersmom; 01-06-2013 at 06:36 PM.
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #65
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
You are correct that a Disney forum is NOT the place to go for medical advice, and I would never dream of advising AGAINST seeing a doctor. I was just trying to inject some common sense and preclude any fear, because the reality is that getting rabies from a cat scratch is virtually impossible, in real-world medical terms, even if you were scratched by a cat that turned out to be rabid, which even a feral kitten is EXTREMELY unlikely to be.

There are less than 300 cases of rabies PER YEAR amongst cats in the entire United States, according to the CDC. And that's out of roughly 90 million cats. (Dog rabies is even rarer, at well less than 100 cases per year.)

And other illnesses, like cat scratch fever, while possible, are rarely serious. The vast majority of cases of cat scratch fever, which may sound like a scary disease, don't even require medical care (see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002581/).

The thing you should be concerned about, if anything, is infection, and, obviously, if the scratch shows any signs of pus, severe or worsening redness or swelling, or becomes hot to the touch, then you should be worried and seek medical attention. Otherwise, keeping the wound clean and dry is a very reasonable course of action.
To each his own. I have never regretted getting the vaccine for my daughter. I could not have lived with the worry, since we are talking about a fatal disease, no matter how small the risk. That being said, I'm done, best of luck to OP

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #66
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

I went out on the porch tonight to try and get some pictures of the one I picked up but he wasn't cooperating. He disappeared once my flash went on. These are the healthy looking bigger cats in the colony. And no I didn't touch or feed them. I just talked to them.

http://youtu.be/CmnQZAW856o
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #67
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
I went out on the porch tonight to try and get some pictures of the one I picked up but he wasn't cooperating. He disappeared once my flash went on. These are the healthy looking bigger cats in the colony. And no I didn't touch or feed them. I just talked to them.

http://youtu.be/CmnQZAW856o
Did they talk back? Seriously you need to just leave them alone.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #68
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Why do you need a picture? Let them be.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #69
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

OP, I know you moved recently. Are stray cats something that you had not encountered before? I think you are looking at them and seeing pets. They are not.
You need to look at them as you would a raccoon or any other wild animal. These cats are wild and need to be left alone. As far as your scratch I hope nothing comes of it. Please don't put yourself in the position to be hurt by one of these animals again.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #70
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib
OP, I know you moved recently. Are stray cats something that you had not encountered before? I think you are looking at them and seeing pets. They are not.
You need to look at them as you would a raccoon or any other wild animal. These cats are wild and need to be left alone. As far as your scratch I hope nothing comes of it. Please don't put yourself in the position to be hurt by one of these animals again.
No, I never encountered them in New York. You're right.. I am seeing a pet when I look at them.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #71
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2727 View Post
<snip>"And the odds you'll become ill or die due to a scratch are roughly the same as winning the lottery."
I'm willing to bet that when my son contracted cat scratch fever and had to have a lymph node removed, he would have rather had won the lottery.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #72
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib
I've been sitting here thinking more about this. I came from a really populated built up area, the only thing I ever came across were lost dogs with collars. I'd go up to them, check if they were friendly and then call their owner. I've done that 3 times.

I also volunteered for a animal rescue and they always gave me the intimidating dogs like dobermans or rottweilers because I have no fear of animals. I've always been like this though, I don't remember ever fearing any type of animal and when I see them I immediately put human feelings on them. I'm constantly trying to pet the ducks by our pond, and when I went to Ireland I pet a sheep and a giant swan that was laying in the grass. I yearn for some sort of connection. I guess I'm getting all psychological about it. I'll stop rambling now.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #73
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

A friend of mine petted a stray cat and got scratched. She didn't think anything of it until a week later when she started going blind! Her vision started closing in on her and every day it got worse and worse until she could barely see. The docs didn't know what she had and did testing for things like MS on her which all came back negative. Then she remembered about the cat scratching her and called the doctor back. After more tests, she found out she had Cat Scratch Fever. After over a month, she started to slowly get her vision back. It was due to some kind of swelling which in turn blocked her vision.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #74
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey

No, I never encountered them in New York. You're right.. I am seeing a pet when I look at them.
These are not pets. They are stray feral cats. Huge difference.

And "petting" the ducks in the pond? In Florida?

I lived in FL. Sooner or later there will be a gator in that pond. Gators like stray cats too.

None of these animals are pets.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #75
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

I understand not wanting to see animals go hungry. Unfortunately, putting food out will eventually attract animals you don't want close to your residence. Some really do have potential to harm you or small children playing outside.

Last edited by ilovepcot; 01-07-2013 at 02:38 AM.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: