Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #136
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
You quoted me first and responded the first paragraph, then went back add the 2nd paragraph. Also, I wasn't even quoting you in the first place. I am talking about a similar discussion to this thread on my school PTA's facebook page.

I don't want to have another thread and you don't get to decide what can be said or not in this thread.

I am not sure why you say my "anger". "sad" is the word I use.
Ummm...well, not exactly. I made the decision to edit within seconds of posting mine, before I read your response. I didn't go back and add the second paragraph after I read your reply.

And where was I trying to tell you what you could or couldn't say in this thread? You can say whatever you want. I simply used your post as a jumping off point.

And with all due respect you do seem angry. Angry at those who don't support the knee jerk reactions; at those who want to think through things logically. You seem to be one of those who just want to feel like you are doing something. And you don't sem to want others to suggest that that isn't going to be enough; that it won't work; that sometimes we simply have to admit that we don't have the control that we so desperately want.

Last edited by pacrosby; 12-19-2012 at 05:35 PM.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #137
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
I've never been asked for an ID, but when we've had other (not me or DW) folks pick up the kids, THEY'VE been asked to show ID.
I have yet to have another person other than me or dh to pick up my son, so I really can't say for that. The reason this came up to my mind was that I noticed there are lot "temp" or "part time" staff working the ASP. I didn't know them so I guess it's safe to assume they don't know me? When ds was at pre-k, it never concerns me because it was always the same teacher.
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #138
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
Well, yes, but afaik, rounds like that are only made for long guns, and if you are going to keep long guns in a school you would have to keep them locked down, and then you have the issue of how long it will take to get them out and loaded. In most communities the time that would take would be about the same as the arrival time of first responders. (I always think of those situations where schools have epipens locked up in the nurse's office; it takes a ridiculously long time to get to the epipen when only a few people have keys to the lockbox.) Most experts feel that seeing security openly carrying a rifle is something that little kids don't handle well; it scares them.
I'm not sure how long it would take to get something like that unlocked - would obviously depend on whether anyone occupies "that" room all the time. Rubber bullets haven't ever really been in "demand" for pistols, but then again maybe they'd be ineffective. But, if there is demand, the supply issue will take care of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
Whenever these discussions come up I'm reminded of my own high school days in the 1970's in a rural community that had (and still has) huge issues with drug-abuse and poverty-related crime. The crash bars on every door were kept chained on the inside during class hours; the teachers/staff had keys to the padlocks and had to open them when we went out to gym, etc. It was a horrendous fire hazard, but last I checked, that school is still chaining the doors.

Ironically, back then the student parking lot routinely contained enough firepower to equip a small army; every pickup had a rack with 2-3 loaded long guns in it. Somehow, the worry never was that anyone would shoot up the school -- the concern was that someone would break into the vehicles and steal the guns, or that students would go out to the cars during the day to have sex or do drugs. The parking lot was surrounded by an 8-foot fence with concertina wire on top, and the gate had an armed guard during school hours. It practically took an Act of Congress to be allowed to access that lot any time between last morning bell and dismissal.
We didn't have your issues at my high school in the early 80's, nor a guarded lot (nor a fence for that matter). But, we definitely had the pickup trucks with gun racks. I brought a gun to school on many occasions (only when I went straight from hunting to school), with full permission from both the school & my parents, both of whom were teachers. Wasn't allowed to bring it INSIDE, but there was no rule about the parking lot.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #139
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

What do you think of this possibility?

http://news.yahoo.com/smart-guns-sho...202657039.html
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #140
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

DS brought home a little pamphlet this afternoon, and I got a phone call (robocall) from the school. they are putting up fences around the school, and changing all pickup and entry procedures. His old school is doing the same.

The schools have "portables", so just locking the doors won't work. Hence the fences. The gates will be locked except for before/after school. Parents walking or biking up can only wait in one area, which is outside the fence. the only school door not in the fenced area is the office door--which is getting rebuilt with no glass and a security camera. Will have to buzz to get in.

Not sure exactly what you have to do to get let in, guess we'll find out after the holiday break. We were told that we had to bring our IDs in and have them scanned into the system, so I'm guessing the elementary schools will have the same system the high schools in the other county did--they would swipe your card and it would print a visitors pass with your photo, name, and the kid you were there to get on it.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #141
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
So in your ideal world, I show up at my child's school, I sign in and present my ID. Office staff would then check to make sure I'm "allowed" to visit? What happens when you have programs, assemblies, etc. that parents are invited to during the school day?
We still have to sign in. And during evening programs as well. The only time I've been to the schools without a sign in was during the school carnival.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #142
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedana View Post
We still have to sign in. And during evening programs as well. The only time I've been to the schools without a sign in was during the school carnival.
Same here. But I was questioning about showing ID which a PP wanted to be done. Showing an ID is only beneficial if office staff compares the ID to a list. And what happens if grandma or grandpa want to come see the holiday program? Do they need to be added to the list?
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #143
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
What do you think of this possibility?

http://news.yahoo.com/smart-guns-sho...202657039.html
Assuming it's reliable, it could be a good application. On a completely unrelated note, I clicked your link on my phone earlier from here, and then when I hit the back button, it took me to an X-rated site
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #144
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

The overreaction continues. The police will be continuing its presence and visibility and patrols through the end of the year and now they're talking about raising our taxes to make it permanent. What a bad idea!!! EPIC FAIL!
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #145
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

At our schools you ring the bell- they come over the speaker and ask you what you want , they will then let you into the office where you have to give you ID. The classrooms are all kept locked when the kids are in them so no one can get in without knocking and the teacher opening the door (they have small windows so you can see who is on the other side).
If there is a school program you are let in the doors to the auditorium and you do not go into the school at all- if its in the cafeteria you are let in the cafeteria doors, again you don't go into the school other than that one room. Now o course if someone gets in there with a gun they are going where ever the heck they want to but at least the doors to the classrooms are locked and they can't jut walk in there!
When my daughter was in first grade there was a naked man with a knife trying to get into the school- they put all the children into the closets in the classroom, my daughter was freaked out by being in a small closet with 26 other kids (they were sitting on each other in there) but no permanent harm done to her!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: