Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
tmk0730
Mouseketeer

Adults only trip questions

My DH and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this May. We've tossed around a few ideas on what to do and we keep coming back to a Disney cruise. With that being said here are my questions:

1. we sailed DCL many years ago and while on board they offered a 10% rebooking discount while on board. Do they still do that? Because if we sail DCL without the kids we know we will want to rebook to take them!

2. I saw they now offer Cabana rentals for the day on Serenity Bay. Does anyone know how much they cost? Would we still be able to reserve one for this May?

3. Are Remy and Palo still available at this point out? (I know this isn't a guarantee just opinions)

4. When Disney looks for dining partners do they look for other adults/couples traveling without kids to pair you with?

5. Is there enough adults only things to do on a DCL trip?

Thanks for any insight!

tmk0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmk0730 View Post
My DH and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this May. We've tossed around a few ideas on what to do and we keep coming back to a Disney cruise. With that being said here are my questions:

1. we sailed DCL many years ago and while on board they offered a 10% rebooking discount while on board. Do they still do that? Because if we sail DCL without the kids we know we will want to rebook to take them!

2. I saw they now offer Cabana rentals for the day on Serenity Bay. Does anyone know how much they cost? Would we still be able to reserve one for this May? At Serenity Bay the cabanas are $399. That is for up to 4 people. You can add 2 more (6 max) for an addional $50 each. Generally the cabanas go quickly at the 120 day booking window for Concierge/Platinum CC members.

3. Are Remy and Palo still available at this point out? (I know this isn't a guarantee just opinions) If you can't get Palo/Remy ressies online, they do hold back 50% of available reservations for booking onboard. When you get your Navigator at checkin look and see where the adult dining reservations are being handled and go there once onboard.

4. When Disney looks for dining partners do they look for other adults/couples traveling without kids to pair you with? Our experience has been that, except for 1 cruise, we have been seated with other couples (just DH & I).

5. Is there enough adults only things to do on a DCL trip? Yes. We've done 6 DCL cruises (67 nights) and still haven't done everything.

Thanks for any insight!
See my answers in red.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmk0730
4. When Disney looks for dining partners do they look for other adults/couples traveling without kids to pair you with?

4. We have sailed twice with a kid and once without. With a kid, we were seated once by ourselves at a four-top (my BFF was with us) and once with another family of three whose kid was the same age as ours at a six-top. When we sailed just the two of us we were at a six-top with two other childless couples. I doubt any of those table assignments were random; a definite effort was made to place us at the best table for our situation. We also did not make any requests like rotation or table size, which allowed them to concentrate on table compatibility.

5. Our no-kid honeymoon on the Wonder was seven nights and I could have gone for seven more. There is plenty to do!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I have done two childless DCL trips. On the first we were seated alone at a two top. On the second we were seated with a family with two kids under 5. It was fine - no real talking because the other couple was busy keeping their little ones happy (I remember no special attention by the waitstaff here). We did think that the table pairing was odd.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Thnlk
Mouseketeer

We have done 3 cruises with no kids. Every time we have been seated with other adults. We still keep in contact with our past table mates.

Disneyland Tokyo 1990
Disneyland California 2009
Disney Wester Caribbean Cruise 2011/2013/2015
Disney World 2011 / 2012 / 2014
Disney Eastern Carribean Cruise 2012
Disney Alaskian Cruise 2012
Disney California Coast Cruise 2014
Disney Panama Canal repo 2014
Thnlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Four cruises sans kids or not part of a large group. Of those four, once we were at an 8-top table with three other couples; once at a 6-top table with two other couples; the other two times we were at a 4-top table alone. Now those two times alone, once we were in a suite and were told they attempt to put people traveling in suites alone at their table (we would have preferred to be with others and would have requested so had we known that); the other time the ship was sailing far from full and we were at second seating (which we prefer)...there were MANY families at tables alone.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

To answer your first question, currently yes, they do still offer the 10% booking discount. As well as only putting down 10% deposit. And you get an OBC as well, amount depending on length of cruise. A GREAT incentive to rebook
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
PhotoLisa
Disney Cruizin Is 4 Me

The rebooking credit is 10% and you receive the benefit of only being required to put 1/2 priced deposits. You will receive OBC depending on the length of the cruise you take. You are allowed to book a dummy date and transfer it to the proper date/itinerary at a later date, keeping the 10% discount and OBC.

Additionally -- the Disney Rewards Visa allows you to receive 0% interest for 6 months for charges related to booking a Disney cruise and/or making subsequent payments on that cruise.

My husband and I have cruised DCL sans children/grandchildren and truly enjoyed it. Traveling alone gives you the ability to do some of the other things you might not have thought about doing otherwise. Don't miss the adult activity on the final night of the cruise that the cruise staff puts on. It is a hoot!
2/25/2006 - 7 Day Western Disney
8/03-08/2006 - WDW Pop Century
2/17/2007 - 7 Day Eastern Disney
2/24/3/2007 - 7 Day Western Disney -- BACK 2 BACK!!
10/16-20/2008 - WDW Pop Century 6th Anniversary Trip
1/29 - 2/2/08 - WDW Polynesian getaway!
2/02/08 - 7 Day Eastern Disney
3/22/09 - 7 Day Eastern Celebrity Solstice AQ
3/20/10 - 10 Day Southern Ruby Princess
3/5/2011 - 7 Day Western Disney Mardi Gras Cruise
2/09/2013 - 7 Day Fantasy Eastern (San Juan) - Mardi Gras
10/11/2014 - 7 Day Southern Magic
3/21/2015 - 7 Day Eastern Fantasy
PhotoLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
tmk0730
Mouseketeer

Wow thanks so much everyone! As usual great info!

tmk0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

We've done 8 cruises with Disney, sans littles. You dont need to rent a cabana on serenity bay. We rent them on the family beach. The family beach is 499$; however, there are many more of them, and we prefer its private beach, which tends to be pretty serene, given the large beach area for relatively few people.

You can request in advance any type of dinner seating arrangement you wish. Call them and tell them what you want (or have your TA call for you if you've used one). You'll get the stock line that it's only a request, but they do try to accommodate. Disney at this point has a file on us that says we prefer our own table for two. This has *always* been done for us. We dont even bother asking any more.

As others have said, they will hold back some Palo and Remy reservations for new cruises or those who booked too last minute to get advanced ressies. Just find the time and place listed on your navigator on the first day to handle these.

Also be sure to get a list of the alcohol tastings available. Some of them are quite fun to attend.Then if you are up for a real challenge, go ride the Aquaduck immediately after the tasting!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post

. . . Also be sure to get a list of the alcohol tastings available. Some of them are quite fun to attend.Then if you are up for a real challenge, go ride the Aquaduck immediately after the tasting!
LOL!

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmk0730 View Post
DW and I have taken our 15, 20, & 25th anniversaries on DCLs.
You can be as busy or as relaxed as you choose to be.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

We honeymooned on the Magic, and it was Magical! we stuck to adult only areas and had a great time with plenty to do (we didn't get to it all . . .) Serenity Bay was very quiet- we did not feel the need to pay for a cabana. Once you pay for your cruise you can book Palo and Remy online. Once, when the brunches were full they put us on a cancellation list, and we got it, so keep checking. Table requests can be made the first day.
They do the 10% discount/ 10% deposit/OBC offer, and the cruise desk can get busy- so my tip is research ahead of time online which cruise you want ( it can be a "dummy" or placeholder- you can change the dates-) and then just fill out the form available at the desk at your convenience and drop in the the dropbox. They will get back to you without you having waste cruise time in line
AudreyKThompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: