Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Best month to take the Alaska cruuse in terms of weather and what you see?

My friend was told June was the best time to go to Alaska and I remember reading its best to go later in the season because the weather is better and you see more wildlife. Which is it or does it matter? I need to sail between mid-June and mid-August (during school break).
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
My friend was told June was the best time to go to Alaska and I remember reading its best to go later in the season because the weather is better and you see more wildlife. Which is it or does it matter? I need to sail between mid-June and mid-August (during school break).
We've been to Alaska in late September and late May/June. Every week it's a different season there. You will be able to see wildife pretty much anytime you go, depending on your land excursions (not so much while on the ship).

While it was colder (and a couple of days snowy/rainy) in May than it was in September, the weather in Alaska falls in the category, "If you don't like the weather, wait 30 minutes". Yes, it's quite variable daily, even hourly, on occasion.

Mid-June to Mid-August is high season in Alaska, so many ports will have lots of ships in port the day you are there.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

I have been to Alaska 8 times...once in June, twice in July, once in September, and 4 times in August. Early to mid-August was superb for both wildlife viewing and weather. We had sunshine in every port and wore shorts. You want to sail when the salmon are running. You will see eagles and bears around rivers where salmon are moving, for free! You will see the whales in Juneau doing the bubble net feeding and exploding from the water. I will only sail Alaska in August. It is magical.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I live near Vancouver, and for some reason it always seems like late summer has better weather than spring or early summer. I always try to plan my time off for early August as that seems to have the most consistently nice weather.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA
I have been to Alaska 8 times...once in June, twice in July, once in September, and 4 times in August. Early to mid-August was superb for both wildlife viewing and weather. We had sunshine in every port and wore shorts. You want to sail when the salmon are running. You will see eagles and bears around rivers where salmon are moving, for free! You will see the whales in Juneau doing the bubble net feeding and exploding from the water. I will only sail Alaska in August. It is magical.
Is the salmon running more towards the end of the summer vs the beginning?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

Mid-June to Mid-August is high season in Alaska, so many ports will have lots of ships in port the day you are there.

Does this somehow change the experience? Is this good or bad? Like many patents I'm limited now by the school calendar for the most part. Since the trip is actually offered when school is out it doesn't make sense to pull my son out of school to take the trip.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
yukongirl123
DIS Lurker

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/artic...00803180839164

This may be helpful Cindy......I would say mid August would be prime salmon season, but you'll see wildlife of some kind no matter when you cruise. My son usually fishes for Salmon in late Sept in Haines (Chilkat area)

Janice
Disney Wonder March 13-20, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder Sept 20-Oct 2, 2011 Vancouver to LA Repo & Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder B2B Mar 4-11 & Mar 11-18, 2012 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder Oct 14-28, 2012 Hawaii Disney Wonder May 6-20, 2013 Panama Canal Disney Wonder Sept 2-9, 2013 Alaska Disney Wonder May 5-17, 2014 Panama Canal
yukongirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Does this somehow change the experience? Is this good or bad? Like many patents I'm limited now by the school calendar for the most part. Since the trip is actually offered when school is out it doesn't make sense to pull my son out of school to take the trip.
High season gives you the best weather, so I'd rather have great weather with the crowds, than freezing weather without them. High season also has the salmon running -- great time to visit the hatchery near Juneau and see the salmon jumping up the ladders. Fascinating.

Alaska's beautiful, bright pink fireweed wildflowers also bloom in August to signal the end of summer.

Actually, the crowds in Alaska aren't as bad as the caribbean during the winter. One Christmas we were in St. Thomas and there were seven cruise ships in port.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Salmon run mid to late summer. I took an expensive flight plane to once to view bears along a river in early July Didn't see one bear. When I do this same trip to Neets Bay in August, I always see bears!

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We cruised in early August. DD saw everything on her wildlife list except one thing--a sea otter or something like that. We saw bears in several locations; one with cubs. Salmon in streams, eagles, Orca and humpbacks, etc. And the weather was quite warm!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Such great advice! Thank you! It's not until 2014 but I'm getting really excited! We will have to research and make a wildlife list too!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

We went late July and had great weather and saw lots of wildlife.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: