Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Baby It's Cold Outside!

This past week, I did something I had not had to do thus far in training: dress for cold weather. It was such a foreign concept to me, that I had to buy cold weather running clothes. Of course, I had to shop. So, I got all dressed up, went to the gym, and ran out on the road. . .

Facebook post from that day. . ."This is either dedicated or crazy. Haven't figured out which but if it's crazy I sure look the part."

And just a thought regarding the weight room. . .dontcha think it's time for the football team to clean the mirrors? Maybe I'll bring some windex this week when I go back.

I ran in the cold (all 40 degrees of it. . .on second thought, I may have been over dressed) and put in one of the fastest 2 miles ever. It was dark and I was ready to get back into the gym and then home.

On the same vibe as shopping, I got some Bondi bands from the recommendation of the princess half facebook group.

For the 5k--I know this is my tiara race, but I think that I'm going to have to hold the tiara in. It also matches my socks, which I haven't posted a picture of, but they are very similar to this Bondi band.

For the half marathon. I'm excited about this whimsical little one!

I also have picked up a few energy-type items everytime I have been to Dick's Sporting Goods. Which leaves me with this:

and this

and this

You know, I may have enough!

In other news, I'm currently packing.

Yes, packing. For a trip that is a little over 7 weeks away.

What can I say?!? I'm ready to go.

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Hi Amanda! Sounds like things are going well so far!

I'm so sorry to read about your student... That's so nice of you to run the race in his honor.

Love your outfits! Have you taken them out on test runs yet?
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #18
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Hi Amanda! Sounds like things are going well so far!

I'm so sorry to read about your student... That's so nice of you to run the race in his honor.

Love your outfits! Have you taken them out on test runs yet?
I have not taken them on test runs yet, but the half outfit is the exact same as the outfit I typically wear running, so I think that one will be fine. I am worried about the whole tiara/tutu thing. That one concerns me that it'll chafe or something and I really don't want to be chafed. The pants I'm wearing and the fuel belt are all what I wore for the half. And of course, I'm breaking the shoes in! Thanks for dropping by!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

Joining in. I didn't know you had started a PTR or I would have been here sooner.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
Joining in. I didn't know you had started a PTR or I would have been here sooner.
It's all right, and thanks for joining in!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

I love your motivation! I probably would have gone shopping too - you NEED gear to run in the cold, so why not?! And no judging about the packing here, I also pack really really early for my trips!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
I love your motivation! I probably would have gone shopping too - you NEED gear to run in the cold, so why not?! And no judging about the packing here, I also pack really really early for my trips!
Ha--only Disers really understand the need for packing so early! What if I forget something?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Packing Already and Training?

Many have asked me what kind of training methods I have used. For my first 5K, I used the Couch to 5K method. This is truly a great program, and I would recommend it to anyone. For the Half Marathons, I have used this:

This is a run-walk method of running. Currently, I am doing 3 minutes run/1 minutes walk.

And it adds in your music and changes to BPM to match your pace:

This application was a little pricey at $14.99. This is the most I have ever paid for an ap, but it has been worth it. I used it for the Myrtle Beach Mini before training went awry. But I knew how to finish the half by then, and even though by that time, I had only run at most 7 miles at a time, I was able to do the mini.

On Saturday, I will only have 50 days left (see)

So it's time to start packing. Here is how I do it. About 3 months out, I typically throw everything in a bag. 2 months out, I repack, and determine what I think I will need to still buy. Since I'm at two months out, I'm at the repack segment.

I have three bags--one for the IOA/CSR part of the trip, one for BWV, and one for the races.

Bag 1:

Bag 2:

Racing Bag:

And today, I had someone else decide she needed to be in my racing bag:

So, what do I need to get?

Absolutely nothing. No shopping needed! Which is kind of happy and sad at the same time. In a couple of weeks, I'll go through again, and then the week before seriously repack everything.

Oh, and ya know what?!? 51 DAYS!!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Modeling 101

Severl of my Facebook friends have asked to see my 5 K outfit in full force. A couple of days after Christmas, I had Sweetie take a picture for me.

I also traded in my iPhone and Nike+ application for this:
or

I know many people like the Garmin, but I like how the interface is with Nike on this watch. After syncing the run with the computer, I was able to pull it up:

It's been no secret that I have been battling ITBS, also known as Iliotibial band syndrome. It's a common knee injury for runners. The best form of treatment is the use of a foam roller to loosen the iliotibial band. The treatment is actually quite painful, but less painful than ITBS after a run. I got a foam roller about a month ago:

The verdict? For the Myrtle Beach mini marathon, I had pain between miles 5 and 6. Yesterday for the 9.5 mile run, I started having pain at mile 8. While I'm still having pain, it's less intense and takes longer. I have to say, too, that this was after inflaming it 3 days before in the gym doing squats.

Hey, and you know what?! I go to Disney next month!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Cute 5K outfit! Love the colors.

And yes, a foam roller is a MUST. I still don't use mine as much as I should, but I can definitely tell a difference when I do. Glad you are getting some benefit out of it!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Cute 5K outfit! Love the colors.

And yes, a foam roller is a MUST. I still don't use mine as much as I should, but I can definitely tell a difference when I do. Glad you are getting some benefit out of it!
Thanks! I also ordered some KT Tape for that knee and I hope that will help a lot. It would help to take some weight off, because the extra 15 pounds I'm carrying around is not helping at all.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Holy Running Week, BATMAN

Ahem, or woman, whichever.

This has been the running week ahead of all others.

Monday: 9.5 miles
Tuesday: 2.5 miles
Wednesday: 0.5 miles between weightlifting circuits
Thursday: 2.25 miles
Friday: leg day, no running. I think 50 squats with 70 pounds plus the bar (45 pounds) was enough
Saturday: rest day
Sunday: Planned 3 miles

So, if I add correctly, that's 17.5 miles for the week. Whew. That really is a lot.

This is the last week before work starts back after winter break, and I'm really not looking forward to returning to work on Monday. I've said I couldn't be a stay at home mom. I lied. I definitely could be a stay at home mom. I just wouldn't be able to go to Disney at all. Ever. Ever. Ever.

So, I work, to feed my addiction, so to speak.

Anyhow, I have really begun to work on my trip plans and get them finalized. I have set up a tentative time to meet up with Tink the arrival night that we move over to Boardwalk.

Let's move back to the first day, though. The arrival day, I'll check into the Wingate

That morning I will have gone to church and then driven in, so it will be sort of late. On Feb 18 (President's day--omg I am going to be in CROWDS), I will head on to

Courtesy Orlando Sentinel

I know for certain that I'm going to do all I can there that day until lunchtime, when I will be heading over to Coronado Springs Resort.

I have dinner reservations that night at Wolfgang Puck, and I'll be doing a little shopping for my son at the Lego Store before Hollywood Studios that night.

As of now, I have 42 days!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

First, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about the student you lost. I think running the half for him is an awesome way to honor him. When I did my first Disney 5K, I did it for me, but I also did it to honor my mother. The memories are even more special to me because of that.

I love that you're going to Universal! Is that wrong? I'm dying to see the Harry Potter theming and can't wait to be able to take my family there. Sadly, it is so difficult to work into our Disney trips, I always get sidetracked by all the stuff to do in the World.

Thanks for sharing all your training. As you already know, I'm having knee surgery in a couple of weeks, and it's really nice to live vicariously through you as you train and run!

Looks like this going to be an awesome trip! I look forward to reading more.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!

Going back to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
First, I just wanted to say how sorry I am about the student you lost. I think running the half for him is an awesome way to honor him. When I did my first Disney 5K, I did it for me, but I also did it to honor my mother. The memories are even more special to me because of that.
At first, I thought I'd make a t-shirt in honor of him, but I want this to be kind of private. So I've decided to write 34 on each of my hands--his basketball jersey number.

Quote:
I love that you're going to Universal! Is that wrong? I'm dying to see the Harry Potter theming and can't wait to be able to take my family there. Sadly, it is so difficult to work into our Disney trips, I always get sidetracked by all the stuff to do in the World.
The only way I could do it was to throw it at the beginning, but I promise lots of FB pictures and TR pictures!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing all your training. As you already know, I'm having knee surgery in a couple of weeks, and it's really nice to live vicariously through you as you train and run!
I hope and pray your surgery goes well. I've been reading up on meniscus tears and man, hon, you have really been in some pain! I'm sorry.

Quote:
Looks like this going to be an awesome trip! I look forward to reading more.
Thanks, Kat!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: