Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

Well check up before flight

My mother mentioned that I should talk DD (4) to the Dr before our trip for a well check up. Mostly to see if she has any fluid in her ears that might cause discomfort on the flight. This is her first time flying and only my second, so not sure if this is something I should look into. Have you done the drs visit? Do you think it's a good idea?

First trip, May 01', WL**August 08' offsite, Mike Ditka's resort**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip + anniversary, POP**Looking forward to January 14' for a WONDER-ful first trip + anniversary on DCL
Scottiesmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Personally, I would not. The flu is running rampant right now. So why expose her to sick children at doctors office is she seems healthy

Just my two cents

Have a good trip
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

I agree. I avoid the Dr's office like the plague (pun intended, lol) if I can help it. Why look for trouble? Unless your daughter has frequent ear infections and is currently congested, I wouldn't worry. I let my kids chew a piece of gum when taking off and landing. Not sure if it helps but they love it since they usually aren't allowed

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

My only real concern is that she does have enlarged adenoids which they have recommended surgery for, but she it just currently on a steroid nose spray to treat. I'm not sure if that will bother in in flight. Sometimes her breathing sounds like a angry grizzly bear while she is just sitting still and watching tv.

First trip, May 01', WL**August 08' offsite, Mike Ditka's resort**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip + anniversary, POP**Looking forward to January 14' for a WONDER-ful first trip + anniversary on DCL
Scottiesmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

I have never considered something like that when traveling with my kids. I don't see the need.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

Just call the Dr and let them know your plans and see what they suggest.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Kristian
Mouseketeer

Like other's have suggested, I would avoid it unless she is prone to ear infections and such. No since in exposing her to extra germs in my opinion. I have a 4 year old dd and besides a well check up once a year, we rarely go to the doctor and I try to avoid it as much as possible. Different strokes for different folks, but that is my two cents.

Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiesmommy08 View Post
My only real concern is that she does have enlarged adenoids which they have recommended surgery for, but she it just currently on a steroid nose spray to treat. I'm not sure if that will bother in in flight. Sometimes her breathing sounds like a angry grizzly bear while she is just sitting still and watching tv.
In this case does she have an ENT following her?? If she does than maybe call and ask them if they could do a quick ear check. I would so keep her away from the regular doctor though. My youngest gets allergy shots weekly so we have no choice but to go to the doctor's office. Our office does have separate waiting areas but many parents refuse to follow the entrance guidelines and it is irritating.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
mummabear
DIS Veteran

Only if they seemed unwell (the sort where if you werent going away you would wait and see for a couple of more days) then I would take them but if she is well then no. There is a Walgreens near disney with a nurse on site (was able to prescribe antibiotics for an ear infection on our visit)
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!

I wouldn't bother. My son always traveled on an airplane with enlarged adenoids (prior to having surgery ) and never had an issue.
summerrluvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

My dr. told us to give the kids a decongestant an hour before the flight if I thought there was any chance they had fluid in their ears. One dose won't hurt. Both my kids had ear infections after flights before I got this advise.
I wouldn't take kids to the dr. office right now, either, unless absolutely necessary.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: