Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
The great advice being given is falling on deaf ears here.

I wouldn't continue to waste the energy and key strokes.
Agreed.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #32
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey

No, I posted ONCE about not having food because of a budget error! We have plenty of food right now.

Oh for gods sake, people are acting like I'm the devil or something because I tried to help out another living being. Maybe some of you need to learn about generosity.
If your budget is so tight that an "error" means you go without food, then you have bigger issues to worry about than helping stray cats.

Again, you fail to understand that you are NOT helping them. Contact an organization that knows what they are doing. Volunteer at the local shelter.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
Mkaz
Well, bust my buttons! That's a horse of a different color!
Some days I think it would be easier to stand on my head and poop nickels.

OP: I've stated my opinion on your other thread about feeding and messing with those feral cats. So have others. What's sad is that you will ignore all of the posts warning you about the dangers and the number of cats that will end up at your house. Something will go wrong. Then you will run to someone else for help because the situation will get out of control.
Mkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
No, I posted ONCE about not having food because of a budget error! We have plenty of food right now.

Oh for gods sake, people are acting like I'm the devil or something because I tried to help out another living being. Maybe some of you need to learn about generosity.
Some poster are just able to see the whole picture in a realistic way. By encouraging these cats to continue coming to your apartment, you are creating a problem for your neighbors. You brought a likely diseased animal into a home with another animal. You have no training to rescue these cats and don't have the proper equipment either. You cannot or will not seek medical treatment if you are bitten, scratched or in some other way injured by these cats. It seems you are doing more harm than good.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #35
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

OP, I know your heart is in the right place...but I hope you can objectively listen to the advice given to you here, and save a lot of trouble for yourself in the future. My family learned the hard way not to go near wild/feral animals (rabies shots are not fun.) Never again.

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2727
OP, I know your heart is in the right place...but I hope you can objectively listen to the advice given to you here, and save a lot of trouble for yourself in the future. My family learned the hard way not to go near wild/feral animals (rabies shots are not fun.) Never again.
Thank you. I was doing what I was doing based on what a stray cat rescue told me to do. I didn't do it without the advice of professionals. As I said we no longer put food out, especially since when I spoke to the rescue yesterday they told me they had been in touch with another woman in the complex and she has been feeding them since they started coming around.

I just wanted to add that I am not the only one touching them, it seems like everyone here regards them as our own outdoor pets. I've seen plenty of adults and children handling some of them, and a fellow neighbor bring one in her home as well.

I am taking care of the tiny wounds and if I suspect anything at all I will seek medical attention but I feel fine, and they're not red or swollen at all. Yes, I have learned my lesson and will no longer attempt handling any of them.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #37
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Thank you. I was doing what I was doing based on what a stray cat rescue told me to do. I didn't do it without the advice of professionals. As I said we no longer put food out, especially since when I spoke to the rescue yesterday they told me they had been in touch with another woman in the complex and she has been feeding them since they started coming around.

I just wanted to add that I am not the only one touching them, it seems like everyone here regards them as our own outdoor pets. I've seen plenty of adults and children handling some of them, and a fellow neighbor bring one in her home as well.

I am taking care of the tiny wounds and if I suspect anything at all I will seek medical attention but I feel fine, and they're not red or swollen at all. Yes, I have learned my lesson and will no longer attempt handling any of them.

Did the professionals advice you to capture one, feed it, then let it back out and try to capture t again on a different day? That seems traumatic to the animal and odd that professionals would recommend such.
Dd you inform them you had other animals in the home?
No cage for the cat?
No health insurance or means for medical care if injured n the process of catching said animal?
These are all factors which change the situation quite a bit.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #38
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover

Did the professionals advice you to capture one, feed it, then let it back out and try to capture t again on a different day? That seems traumatic to the animal and odd that professionals would recommend such.
Dd you inform them you had other animals in the home?
No cage for the cat?
No health insurance or means for medical care if injured n the process of catching said animal?
These are all factors which change the situation quite a bit.
I actually have a cage, that's what I put him in to bring him in/out of the house. They know I have other animals in the house. Health insurance was not discussed. As for capturing him on two different days.. It wasn't much of a capture. He willingly lets anyone pick him up, hold him and pet him. He's very affectionate. That's why I didn't think it was a big deal to bring him in again, but opening the door to the apartment spooked him. Looking back I should have brought the cage outside, and put him in while I was out there.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #39
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I am glad you learned from this
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #40
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

why don't you have the rescue come pick up the stray kittens so they can be cared for properly and have a chance at a home??
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #41
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

I always heard its more important to seek medical care when a cat bites you and breaks the skin. I have been scratched by my own cats and strays my whole life and never had problems.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie
why don't you have the rescue come pick up the stray kittens so they can be cared for properly and have a chance at a home??
They told me they wouldn't come, it was up to me to capture.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #43
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
I am a health inspector and saw your thread. You should see a doctor if you were scratched by a stray cat. Your doctor will probably recommend rabies shots for you. Stray cats can carry rabies. You should not pick up stray animals, they are not vaccinated and are at risk for rabies. I am not trying to scare you, but you should see a doctor immediately.
Did you know that rabies vaccines can only safely be given once? If you are bitten or attacked a second time; the vaccine can be fatal. A client of mine died from it. I would never just assume a wild/feral animal had rabies. The OP was warned about feral cats; they freak out when you try to 'rescue' them. These are kittens; doubtful they've had a run in with an infected animal; they'd no doubt have been killed in the altercation.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #44
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

My grandma once had about 10 stray cats hanging around her house. My mom contacted the local shelter and they told her to come and pick up a humane trap. She was able to trap all of the cats over about a week. Each time she trapped one, she took it directly to the shelter. She never had to touch the cats because the shelter personnel would take them out and give my mom back the empty trap. All of the cats were young and my mom was told they had a good chance of being socialized and adopted out.

Perhaps your shelter could lend you a trap so you can safely catch the cats without having to touch them yourself?
Luv Bunnies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #45
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
They told me they wouldn't come, it was up to me to capture.
You dont have an animal shelter in your town? Animal control will come get them and take them to the shelter. Where is the mama cat?
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: