Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #31
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Most CMs literally shoot from the hip when it comes to height.. they know where the height stick falls on their own body - usually right around hip height - and they just look for anyone who falls below or in the questionable range.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #32
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

I'm wondering how old these children are that are wanting to ride the hard core rides? My 3 year old grandson is right at 44" and the one that just turned 4 years old is 45.5". I wouldn't take either of them on the more intense rides. I wouldn't even take myself on the more intense rides.

I would also be afraid to try to "boost" a child's height since I'm sure the restrictions are for safety reasons. Maybe the restraint in the ride wouldn't hold them properly?
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #33
mommak1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
I'm wondering how old these children are that are wanting to ride the hard core rides? My 3 year old grandson is right at 44" and the one that just turned 4 years old is 45.5". I wouldn't take either of them on the more intense rides. I wouldn't even take myself on the more intense rides.
Those are some TALL boys for that age. My daughter who is almost 42" is almost 5 years old and average height for her age. And no, she really wouldn't want to ride the hard core rides if she saw them, but she doesn't like being told that she can't do what big brother can do.
mommak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #34
jentifred
Earning My Ears

My son who is 43.5 inches right now? He's 6 and will turn 7 in April. He's quite small for his age. He is also fearless--he's been going through the Birnbaum guide marking everything listed as "rough" or "scary" and saying "I TOTALLY want to do that!"

If I've got him at 43.5 inches in sock feet, he should be okay in 4 months in sneakers, right?
jentifred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #35
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever

I would also be afraid to try to "boost" a child's height since I'm sure the restrictions are for safety reasons. Maybe the restraint in the ride wouldn't hold them properly?
My ydd was tall enough by age 4 to do mission space so she did it and has been in love with it ever since....mission space orange that is! My younger son is nearly 7 and obsessed with riding EE. He has been tall enough for a couple years now. Neither my dh or I ride either ride so they just ride with siblings. There is no reason for them to be afraid of the rides.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #36
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommak1 View Post
Those are some TALL boys for that age. My daughter who is almost 42" is almost 5 years old and average height for her age. And no, she really wouldn't want to ride the hard core rides if she saw them, but she doesn't like being told that she can't do what big brother can do.
People do always remark that they are tall for their age. They are from two separate sets of parents so they seem normal height to me. Both of them are the older brothers so don't know they are missing anything yet.

I had planned to take them on Mission: Space. The green version because I don't want to deal with any puking. The "hard core" rides I was talking about are Space Mountain & Tower of Terror type things.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #37
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How strict are CMs with height restrictions
My daughter is just slightly under 42 inches. Are they flexible at all, or should I prepare her in advance for not being able to ride things that have 42 inch restriction?
It is for the safety of the child and to avoid a lawsuit; they are mostly very strict.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #38
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommak1 View Post
My daughter is just slightly under 42 inches. Are they flexible at all, or should I prepare her in advance for not being able to ride things that have 42 inch restriction?
Very. Those restrictions are for the safety of the rider.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration/15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #39
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolak View Post
Very strict and they sometimes measure twice. Once when you first enter the line, and once again before you board the ride.
Yep. This. 100%. Even if you passed at the beginning of the line, you may be turned away at the ride.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ SURPRISE little one born Aug. '13

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #40
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

In our experience, they are very strict. And I think that's a good thing. I personally would not want to "trick" a CM to get my child on a ride that they are not supposed to be on.

I have a VERY tall 8 year old and a VERY short 6 year old (42.5 inches). In the 3 trips to WDW they have had, my 6yo has had to deal with not doing a lot of the rides, but we prepare her in advance that this is the case. On her first two trips she was still not even 40 inches tall! But our last trip in July, she finally hit 41.5 inches and was able to do all of the 40" rides...what an accomplishment!!! She was so excited and it was great seeing how happy that made her.

Now, we are going back in April and she was really hoping to be big enough for Space Mountain...we've told her, not so much, but probably next time!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #41
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

In our experience they are super strict! Our daughter was refused several times even though she was JUST under. For Disney, it's an insurance and safety issue. If they let kids on and something happens, they're facing a lawsuit. I've seen people try to put their kids in thick soled shoes and all sorts of things but for the most part, CM's spot the tricks and say no anyway. I would be prepared for her to be refused and explain to your child before you even leave that if they are not tall enough, it's not safe for them to ride. We found this reduced the tantrums!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #42
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressMerryweather View Post
Yep. This. 100%. Even if you passed at the beginning of the line, you may be turned away at the ride.
See this is the problem I have. I am ALL about safety and do not try to cheat the system. I want my child safe on rides. I would also understand if they measured barefoot or whatever BUT...as I see it is a child is close (my 3.5 yr old is boarderline. She is between 40 inches and 39 3/4 inches without shoes - she will probably wear keens or tevas in the parks) it is better to say right out no sorry.

I am all about the safety speech and preparing her not to ride but I guess for ME. I wish they made that determination BEFORE they get in line. She would understand if told at the enterance sorry sweetie you don't make it. But my DD#2 is dying to ride splash and has a difficult time in lines. She would be devestated however if told yes you make it, she stands in long line and is good only to be told sorry too bad. There must be a better way. If they trust their measuring system measuring when you enter should be enough right? I would rather take an extra second or two at the beginning and ensure she is the right height. What is the reasoning for 2-3 times once you enter? Do they fear the child changed sizes while in line?
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #43
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post

My girls will be 6 in April. One of them is almost 40 inches (no shoes) and the other 2 are just over 40 inches.

We've had mixed experiences with CMs and height restrictions. When we brought 2 of our 3 on BTMR in August, they were measured twice. 4 months later, we brought only 1 on and no one measured her at all. And she's just over 40 inches.

Read my trip reports!

SarahJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #44
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykat View Post
What is the reasoning for 2-3 times once you enter? Do they fear the child changed sizes while in line?
No, they fear that only one Cast Member doing the checking missed something. At work, we use the "second pair of eyes" rule on just about everything. Or, another cliche - "it's better to measure twice and cut once".

And as pointed out before, parents do some stupid things just to get their kids on a ride. I wouldn't put it past some parent to do the lifts in the shoes, get past the one check point, stop and take out the lifts. Now you have a too small child getting on a ride where the restraints might not hold that child.

Sorry, but as a parent, it's up to you to explain to your child there are two points of measurement. We did that with both of our grandkids. And after they passed the second one (one time was a very close call), we did high fives. It actually became a little game we played.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #45
jentifred
Earning My Ears

Related question--are the measurements at the ride 44 inches? Or are they a bit higher to allow for shoes? I'm measuring my son at home barefoot just to be a little more sure that he'll pass. He's 43.5 barefoot right now and we have 4.5 months before we head to Disney.

As a side note, I am TOTALLY using my leverage to get him to eat decently. He has ridden Space Mtn at Disneyland because it only has a 40 inch requirement there, so he will be totally crushed if he can't ride it at MK. All I have to do now is remind him that he needs "good growing food" and he's off to raid the fruit bowl and vegetable crisper!
jentifred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: