Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Need some Nassau excursion ideas...

So I am not sure what we will want to do when we go to Nassau. Right now the plan is just to shop but I would like to have some last minute ideas of things we could do. There are 5 of us, 4 adults with a 7 year old.

Atlantis is out I think. While I wouldn't mind seeing it, we're not into huge crowds and DH isn't into water parks. Plus we live in Orlando and my son and I have APs to the water parks, so that wouldn't be anything new. Any kind of dolphin/sting ray thing is out too for the same reason. Also, any snorkeling is out because he is not a swimmer. I will let him play around with that at CC.

We are going on the double dip to Castway Cay so I doubt we'll need another beach day.

I know there are some things we would like to do but can't.......
1. Parasailing.....my son will be too young for Disney by 3 months Could he do that at Nassau and more importantly, WOULD you? What if the weather is cruddy? I know with Disney, you get refunded. If he would be old enouigh, how safe is it? Is it regulated? I'm so bummed we can't do that through DCL.

2. Jetskis...again, he is too young and I have read that on Nassau it is unregulated and not safe. I should note that NONE if us have ever been on a jetski, so I am guessing this is out. But we would have enjoyed it.

3. Fishing...Do they have any fishing excursions that would get you back on time to the ship? I'm nervous to do anything outside of DCL. Again, what if the weather is bad?

The segway tour would be awesome but I don't think a 7 year old could do that. Let me know if I'm wrong. (And we won't do anything without him.)

So at this point, I think the only thing we can do is shop. I know everyone likes to skip Nassau and stay on the ship but I would like to have options, particularly last minute ideas if the family decides they want to do something.

Finally, what beaches can you do last minute without reserving ahead of time? I doubt we'll need another beach day but would like an idea where to go, just in case.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

I get tired of all the Nassau bashing that goes on here (not that you are doing it, just get ready, it's coming!) so here is a copy and paste listing of some of my responses to others over the last year, they are addressing questions posed by others but you can get some ideas from them. I've separated each response by color. I highly recommend the Sheraton if you decide on another beach day, the walking tour was quite interesting and I will never again go to Nassau without a stop at the Fish Fry! I would not stay on the ship in Nassau, there is too much to do. Look over these and see if they give you any ideas. Also, go to the boards at Cruise Critic, they will give you more info as well.

Nassau is no more or less safe than most cities; people get robbed and killed everywhere. I've been to Nassau several times, have never been to Atlantis, have wandered around with just my family and twice with just me and a young teen and have never felt unsafe. I've never had anyone try to sell me drugs and there are pushy salespeople at MOST cruise ports. Use the same judgement you would use in any city.

There IS a public beach within walking distance of the ship; and it's free. I've never been there (although I walked past it coming back from Arawak Cay / The Fish Fry) because we like the day pass at the Sheraton. I highly recommend eating at The Fish Fry while you are there.

If you want to research a LOT of options in Nassau, go to Cruise Critic Ports of Call board.

Here is a link to one discussion about Junkanoo Beach:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1641451

Also, it isn't the beach but the walking tour that we've done in the past and enjoyed can be found at:

http://www.brentjes.com/nassau.html

We really enjoyed the Sheraton at Cable beach both times we've been. We did take the public bus (the #10 jitney which is $1.25 each) to get there and back. Played at the property then took the #10 back to The Fish Fry (Arawak Cay) and had some amazing food with the locals. Then it's a short mile or so walk back to the ship.

I have been to Nassau at least five times and have NEVER felt unsafe. We've taken a ship sponsored tour (Carnival), done shopping on our own, done a walking to tour that went to the Queen's Staircase, out to the Sheraton twice, eaten at the Fish Fry, etc. Highly recommend that you get OUT of the port area and see the town.

I would also like to recommend that you eat at The Fish Fry while you're there. It's just a bit farther out than Junkanoo and it's a chance to mix with the locals and eat their food. BEST CONCH EVER!!! Just ask them while you're at Junkanoo and they will point the way. My son and I walked from The Fish Fry back to the ship, it isn't far.

It's not free but if your daughter wants to experience Nassau, then this is the spot. The place we ate had guys out back removing the conch from the shells and you could go watch. Neat for the kids. It's also referred to as Arawak Cay and here's some info:

http://www.fodors.com/world/caribbea...ew-196405.html

An appetizer of conch fritters and a local beer won't set you back much but keep in mind that the servers are on Bahama Time! (SLOW!)
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Mcbruns
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
I get tired of all the Nassau bashing that goes on here (not that you are doing it, just get ready, it's coming!) so here is a copy and paste listing of some of my responses to others over the last year, they are addressing questions posed by others but you can get some ideas from them. I've separated each response by color. I highly recommend the Sheraton if you decide on another beach day, the walking tour was quite interesting and I will never again go to Nassau without a stop at the Fish Fry! I would not stay on the ship in Nassau, there is too much to do. Look over these and see if they give you any ideas. Also, go to the boards at Cruise Critic, they will give you more info as well.

Nassau is no more or less safe than most cities; people get robbed and killed everywhere. I've been to Nassau several times, have never been to Atlantis, have wandered around with just my family and twice with just me and a young teen and have never felt unsafe. I've never had anyone try to sell me drugs and there are pushy salespeople at MOST cruise ports. Use the same judgement you would use in any city.

There IS a public beach within walking distance of the ship; and it's free. I've never been there (although I walked past it coming back from Arawak Cay / The Fish Fry) because we like the day pass at the Sheraton. I highly recommend eating at The Fish Fry while you are there.

If you want to research a LOT of options in Nassau, go to Cruise Critic Ports of Call board.

Here is a link to one discussion about Junkanoo Beach:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1641451

Also, it isn't the beach but the walking tour that we've done in the past and enjoyed can be found at:

http://www.brentjes.com/nassau.html

We really enjoyed the Sheraton at Cable beach both times we've been. We did take the public bus (the #10 jitney which is $1.25 each) to get there and back. Played at the property then took the #10 back to The Fish Fry (Arawak Cay) and had some amazing food with the locals. Then it's a short mile or so walk back to the ship.

I have been to Nassau at least five times and have NEVER felt unsafe. We've taken a ship sponsored tour (Carnival), done shopping on our own, done a walking to tour that went to the Queen's Staircase, out to the Sheraton twice, eaten at the Fish Fry, etc. Highly recommend that you get OUT of the port area and see the town.

I would also like to recommend that you eat at The Fish Fry while you're there. It's just a bit farther out than Junkanoo and it's a chance to mix with the locals and eat their food. BEST CONCH EVER!!! Just ask them while you're at Junkanoo and they will point the way. My son and I walked from The Fish Fry back to the ship, it isn't far.

It's not free but if your daughter wants to experience Nassau, then this is the spot. The place we ate had guys out back removing the conch from the shells and you could go watch. Neat for the kids. It's also referred to as Arawak Cay and here's some info:

http://www.fodors.com/world/caribbea...ew-196405.html

An appetizer of conch fritters and a local beer won't set you back much but keep in mind that the servers are on Bahama Time! (SLOW!)

Thanks for posting this. Our family was just discussing what to do at Nassau. Our girls are 12 & 13 and I really want them to experience Nassau and not skip it.
1976-offsite~ 1991-offsite~ 1993-offsite~ 1997-Swan~ 1998-Caribbean Beach~ 2003-Port Orleans~ 2004-Pop Century~ 2005-Beach Club Villas~ 2006-Contemporary ~ 2007-ASMu ~ 2007-Coronado Springs ~ 2007-Anniversary Trip GF ~ October 2008-Wilderness Lodge~2 trips in 2009 (June-WH and Sept-OKW)~ 2010-Swan for NYE ~ 2011-Poly for my 40th ~ April 2012 & July ~ 2013 Cruising on the Wonder & June trip ~2014-Lion King Suite
Mcbruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Thanks very much. We really want to experience it too. Can you tell me more about the fish fry? Do they have anything besides seafood by any chance? I LOVE seafood but DH can't stand it. If he can get a burger or hotdog, he'll be happy, lol.

I also read about the horse carriages which could be cool....but there are 5 of us so not sure we could take two or fit into one.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbruns View Post

Thanks for posting this. Our family was just discussing what to do at Nassau. Our girls are 12 & 13 and I really want them to experience Nassau and not skip it.
Absolutely do not skip Nassau! Girls that age would probably also love a little visit to the Straw Market for some shopping. I don't care for it much but I believe they've opened the new one by now, which I haven't been to. Just go over basic safety rules because in cramped quarters, there's always an opportunity for pickpockets. My kids always insist on going there, especially my teen daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Thanks very much. We really want to experience it too. Can you tell me more about the fish fry? Do they have anything besides seafood by any chance? I LOVE seafood but DH can't stand it. If he can get a burger or hotdog, he'll be happy, lol.

I also read about the horse carriages which could be cool....but there are 5 of us so not sure we could take two or fit into one.
I just realized my Fodors link above is broken The Fish Fry is a collection of restaurants where the locals eat. Your husband can easily find something that suits him. I think my son and I ate at Oh Andros (maybe Goldie's) but I can't remember; wherever it was, you could go out back and watch the guy taking the conch out of the shells. The service, as usual in the Bahamas, is crazy slow so be prepared for that. Here's a link to TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...d_Bahamas.html

I don't know anything about the carriages, sorry. They are all over the place, so it won't be hard to figure it out once there.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Thanks again. I think since the parasailing and jetskis will have to be out, we'll have to play everything by ear and decide once we get there. At least now I will have some idea of where to go

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: