Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #16
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed at POR, but I honestly don't see how a child can be disappointed in any Disney resort....it's Disney after all!

We did stay at the WL this past summer and when my kids (ages 8 and 5 at the time), saw the pics, they were NOT impressed...especially compared to some of the pics of the value resorts (some of which they have stayed)...well, they absolutely LOVED the WL, despite the lack of in your face theming....in fact, we are booked at YC for our April trip and the girls are apprehensive because its not the WL, but as my DD8 said...."it's gonna be fine, it's Disney!!!"

I'm training them well, lol.

The royal rooms look like a blast....we will definitely get over there to try them at some point.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
calngavinsmom
DIS Veteran

Hello there! We are a family of four and have been lucky enough to try out a couple of values and a couple of moderates and my boys favourite is hands down POR!

They were 9 and 6 on our last trip and it was a repeat stay at POR at their request. We had previously stayed at POFQ, POP, ASMu and ASMU family suite as well.

To them there was just so much more to do at POR that the over the top theme of the values didn't matter as much.

POR has a great feature pool with a slide (it's fun I tried it.....a few times ) cool arcade, fishing hole (we didn't catch much but still fun), boat to DTD, fun boats at the marina (watermice), the boys LOVED the YeeHaw Bob show in the lounge, very interactive!

To add, for the adults, I personally really enjoyed the feeling of relaxation at POR. After the hustle and bustle of a day at the parks, I really enjoyed having a place that I could just relax.....and POR definitely promotes that feeling. It is so lush and beautiful I just love it.

It's a small thing but by the pool, there are a lot of sunny and shaded areas to lounge, which I appreciated being able to get out of the sun when it got too hot.

The foodcourt was also great with the design your own pasta and salad....very yummy

The boat to dtd also opened up a lot of dining options that were an easy, fun ride away.

My dh loved POR so much after staying at values, he went from wanting to take a break from DIsney to booking the bounceback before we even left the resort

I have no idea if your kids will love it or not but I just wanted to share the experience of a family with children of similar ages who have btdt.

Good luck to you!

calngavinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

We took our 7 yr old boy/ girl twins on their first trip this past August and stayed in a RR at POR. They absolutely loved the resort. They loved the setting, pools, room, store, and food court. This was their first big trip staying at a fancy hotel. They continue to talk about it and we just might stay again on our next trip.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
mum2four
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyGirl75 View Post
Hello all! I'm happily planning our 6th trip to the world, but I'm having a dilemma. In the past, we've always stayed at values, and my kids have been happy with all of them. My dd9 says ASMo is her favorite, and I think my ds5 is too young to care. I've been fine with the values, too, and we were considering trying ASMu this year. Then I thought, why not try something a little nicer? So, we're thinking POR. Then, I saw that we can get the royal rooms for $135 more than standard, so why not try that? So that's what I'm planning. But, do you think the kids will miss the over-the-top giant in-your-face Disney theming of the values?

It will be costing us about $450 more for a Royal room at POR than a standard room at ASMu + water parks. (We won't add water parks if we do POR, since they have a nicer pool, and we only go once per trip anyway.) I'm okay with this "splurge" if the kids really enjoy the resort (it looks like there's so much more cool stuff to do there), plus I think my DH will like it better, but I'm not okay with the kids longing to be back at a value while we're there.

So, what do you think?
I completely understand your dilemma! We debated back and forth between POR room and AOA suite for our upcoming May trip (we need a room for 5). Kids LOVE the pics of AOA, but the cost is almost $1000 more than POR, so we are booked at POR instead. Personally, I'm thrilled - the pics of POR are gorgeous!! I am a little concerned that the kids might be disappointed, BUT, they are at Disney World! There is no reason for them to complain about anything!! Besides, they've never been anywhere like POR before so it will all be new and exciting. We will probably make a trip over to AOA some evening just to walk around and check it out - maybe you could do that if your kids are missing the ambience of the values! I bet your kids will love POR
mum2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I have never stayed at POR, but I honestly don't see how a child can be disappointed in any Disney resort....it's Disney after all!

We did stay at the WL this past summer and when my kids (ages 8 and 5 at the time), saw the pics, they were NOT impressed...especially compared to some of the pics of the value resorts (some of which they have stayed)...well, they absolutely LOVED the WL, despite the lack of in your face theming....in fact, we are booked at YC for our April trip and the girls are apprehensive because its not the WL, but as my DD8 said...."it's gonna be fine, it's Disney!!!"

I'm training them well, lol.

The royal rooms look like a blast....we will definitely get over there to try them at some point.
Definitely agree with this! We stayed at a value before kids, but with kids, it's been CBR, CSR, POFQ, Poly, BC, YC, CR, Dolphin, BWI, AKL and WL. For one trip, we booked All Star Movies and decided to switch to BC. We thought our youngest would be disappointed (our older boys were already familiar with BC and would take deluxe over value any day.) So anyway, there is no way our youngest was going to choose BC over Movies in advance and based on photos. We told him that, by staying at BC, we would be closer to the "real Woody" at DHS. After that stay, BC became his favorite resort.

Our kids are now ages 5, 12 and 13, and we've been going to Disney relatively frequently since our oldest was a baby. In our experience, particularly with younger kids, they often like the last resort they stayed in the best! But when we return and try something new, they often have a new favorite!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: