Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Elderberry syrup. It has been shown to be as effective as tamiflu against influenza. Thank you for the reminder, I will remember to bring hand sanitizer as well as elderberry for our trip in a bit over a year. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
Anonny
Mouseketeer

Oh dear!
From the subject line, I thought somebody came home pregnant!

Hope everyone is feeling better.

Last edited by Anonny; 12-30-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #33
dharma517
Mouseketeer

OMG...please NO. Give me the flu any day!!!! I just felt a cold chill run up my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonny View Post
Oh dear!

dharma517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #34
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh dear!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #35
PrinceandPrincess
Show Me the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I thought the same.
PrinceandPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
cblack
Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonny
Oh dear!

I thought the same thing!

cblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #37
Sarasein
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh dear!

I did,too. But sad to say I have not been on a cruise yet, but we have dealt with the flu. My middle dd started it. Then the dr put all the girls on tamiflu. My youngest had an ear/sinus infection she could not shake. The nurse said she had picked up the flu. Oldest dd also ran a fever and had the flu. It is just that time of year. Dh had to go to the er yesterday and they said it was a 5 -7 hour wait thinking he had the flu or a cold. It was that busy. (He was seen much faster when they heard afib issues.). It could have happened any where. Mine picked it up at school. Can't not send them back there
Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #38
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

DH getting sick is certainly NOT going to stop him from cruising again!!!! In 7 DCL cruises, this is the first one anyone got sick on. We are booked to go on 4 more!!!!

We go to a WDW theme park twice a month or more & in the winter months, it's not uncommon for one of us to catch a cold there. I'm not going to stop going there either!!!

(I too thought someone came home pregnant by the thread title!!)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
AladdinsPrincess
DIS Veteran

I got the noro virus on the Magic several years ago and about a week after our last cruise on the Dream (12/4 sailing) my husband and I both came down with flu/bronchitis-like symptons. We've cruised 9 times so I certainly don't let things like this keep me from cruising. Like several people have said, you could just as easily pick something up on a plane, in the mall, at Disney World, or any other vacation spot! Since the noro virus incident, I am obsessed with antibacterial wipes. My biggest pet peeve is the buffets. Sure, you wipe your hands on the way in but then everyone handles the serving utensils and who knows if everyone really wiped their hands on the way in or if they went to their table and blew their nose and then went back for seconds...whatever - I bring my own wipes and use them again after the buffet line and before I eat!! It can't hurt...

I also hope that everyone is feeling better. We finally are kicking this bug!
AladdinsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #40
Mom2TwinGirls01
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37

Sorry you guys got sick but you can pick up something anywhere...in a school classroom, in a gym, in a supermarket, in the mall, at a house party. When people say they are afraid to cruise again it sounds drastic to me. Would you not send your kids back to school if they picked up something in class? Not being snarky, just genuinely curious.

If you do decide to cruise again DCL does not want the verandah doors left open because it messes up the air conditioning system. I don't the problem is so much that the air in the cabin is bad...it more there are so many surfaces you touch repeatedly onboard (or anywhere) like elevator buttons, door handles, menus, bannisters, etc. that cause people to pick up germs.

Hope you guys feel better.

MJ
Well i am still sick and its been almost a month. The only reason i am saying i'm not sure about cruising again because it's like being on an airplane for almost 7 days. My children are in grade six and have had many colds flus but we have never been down as hard as we were and i've never been sick this long. I just finish a five day antibiotics to try to get rid of it. 2 years ago on the same week we went to Disney World and never got sick and we touched many surfaces. So I'm thinking its a little bit of surfaces and the recycled air.

We'll see i guess. Just puts a real damper on the memories!!

Mom2TwinGirls01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #41
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

I've been on 10 cruises, 2 of which were with DCL. On the other 8, nobody has gotten ill (a little seasick now and then, maybe). On BOTH DCL cruises someone got sick. Two of four kids came down with the GI nightmare on the Wonder and then DH and I both got sick after leaving the Fantasy in May. I had strep throat (which was reported here on DISboards to be going around the Fantasy when it was new) and gave it to two of my kids when I got home.

I love DCL ships, but I don't believe in coincidences and I don't like being sick. I'm jealous of people who can cruise them and stay well!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #42
magicalmoments4
Mouseketeer

Me too!! LOL!!! So sorry you all were sick!!

Beach Club: December 2007, December 2010
POR: December 2013
Yacht Club: September 2014
magicalmoments4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #43
Night Owl
Earning My Ears

Ha ha I thought the same thing that someone was pregnant! This is one of my biggest concerns that we will either get sick before we leave or while on board. I have been coaching my children about hand washing often & will definitely packing lots of hand sanitizer!
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #44
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well i am still sick and its been almost a month
Bleh, me too (I wasn't on any cruise but it's been a month now and ths crud just won't go away). I hope you feel better soon!

This stuff is just going around everywhere. I work in an eye clinic and it seems like every other patient has it, inlcluding most of my office. I am a bit of a germaphobe and wear masks and wash my hands constantly, never touching my face. I still got it.

Whatever it is, it's nasty and long lasting. It wouldn't stop me from cruising though. IMO, people get sick and flu seasons are just getting worse every year. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: