Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey

I don't have medical insurance. I'd have to go to the ER. I'm also on antibiotics for a sinus infection so I think I'll be fine. It's just three tiny little marks.
An antibiotic only works on certain organisms. That's why sensitivity tests are usually done with a culture. The antibiotic you're taking for a sinus infection might not do a thing against the kind of bacteria you'd find in a wound infection.

I'd make sure that your tetanus vaccination is up to date, too.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
From the humane society website:

Rabies travels from the brain to the salivary glands during the final stage of the disease—this is when an animal can spread the disease, most commonly through a bite.
Do the smart thing and go to the doctor. Why take a chance of losing your life.

You could be wrong......DEAD wrong!!
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

While it is true that an animal is contagious during the final "shedding" stage of rabies, it is also true that the animal can appear normal for the first 5 days of this stage. You really can't tell if an animal has rabies just by looking at it.

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
lol, i did the same thing 4 nights ago, and still have the scratches, I will go get rabbi shot when foam is coming from mouth
Sorry, but even a rabbi won't be able to help, LOL!
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #20
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

f you cannot afford to visit a doctor, then please stop messing with stray animals. It would seem from your other posts that you are likely not in a position to take your pets to the vet wither--yet when you bring a stray into the home you expose those pets to a variety of possible illness.
You really need to leave the feral cats alone--for their own good as well as for your and your pets safety.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #21
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

OP it is unlikely the kitten has rabies and it is unlikely that rabies could be passed through its claws. However, rabies is not the only disease cats can carry and pass through human contact, even without any need to break your skin. No, it's not a concern when indoor pets scratch you because, by law, they are required to be regularly vaccinated. Also, you know, because they're not living in filth and fighting raccoons for garbage scraps. In other words, you should go to the doctor. Whether you realize it or not, you've been playing with a walking disease factory.

That being said, what was the point of releasing the animal after feeding it? Most semi-feral animals will run away if they can, but that doesn't mean they're happier on the streets. The next time you try to get a new pet this way I suggest you get your vaccinations updated beforehand, buy a cage (to keep it the heck away from your other pets and family members until a doctor confirms it's safe) and make a vet appointment for shots, bathing and, assuming it passes a basic health exam, a neuter/spay. All this before you try to take a likely sick and terrified animal into your home. Then, don't let it outside. Ever again.

If you can't afford that kind of commitment, then don't bother. Leave some food outside if you feel bad, or better yet, call a local shelter or animal control to capture the cats and, hopefully, find better lives for them.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #22
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

You picked the one that looked like he wanted to be an indoor cat? What, did he have a suitcase with him?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee
You picked the one that looked like he wanted to be an indoor cat? What, did he have a suitcase with him?
Lol
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Rabies shouldn't be your only concern. If you are unable or unwilling to seek treatment perhaps you should avoid handling feral cats.

I know you just started a new job at Disney. It'd be a pity if you ended up with cat scratch fever or something else so early after starting your new job.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

The great advice being given is falling on deaf ears here.

I wouldn't continue to waste the energy and key strokes.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover
f you cannot afford to visit a doctor, then please stop messing with stray animals. It would seem from your other posts that you are likely not in a position to take your pets to the vet wither--yet when you bring a stray into the home you expose those pets to a variety of possible illness.
You really need to leave the feral cats alone--for their own good as well as for your and your pets safety.
The stray was only in the bathroom and it was completely sterilized with bleach before my animals were allowed near it.

And I did contact a rescue, they were the ones who told me to try to catch them. I was going to keep him in the bathroom until I could get him to them but my dog went nuts and wouldn't stop barking at the bathroom door. We have quiet rules in my town so I couldn't let her bark all night and unfortunately they only come around at night.

There is one with a broken leg that I've been trying to catch because the rescue said they would pay for its medical treatment but it won't let me near it.

I'm just trying to do the right thing, I'm an animal lover and seeing them go hungry or in the case of the injured one, in pain, is killing me. If I put food out the skinny one and the injured one don't get much if any because the bigger cats are fighting for it. I stopped putting out food.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
MomRN
DIS Veteran

Right now if you go into the ER with cat scratches you'll likely leave with the flu.

I think you handled the situation appropriately. You cleaned the wound and I'm sure you will watch for infection. No, you probably shouldn't mess with stray cats, but you probably already know that and the risks you take.
MomRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey

The stray was only in the bathroom and it was completely sterilized with bleach before my animals were allowed near it.

And I did contact a rescue, they were the ones who told me to try to catch them. I was going to keep him in the bathroom until I could get him to them but my dog went nuts and wouldn't stop barking at the bathroom door. We have quiet rules in my town so I couldn't let her bark all night and unfortunately they only come around at night.

There is one with a broken leg that I've been trying to catch because the rescue said they would pay for its medical treatment but it won't let me near it.

I'm just trying to do the right thing, I'm an animal lover and seeing them go hungry or in the case of the injured one, in pain, is killing me. If I put food out the skinny one and the injured one don't get much if any because the bigger cats are fighting for it. I stopped putting out food.
But many people have explained to you in the past ... You AREN'T doing the right thing.

Bringing the cats in, catch & release, putting out food, etc are no ways to handle strays. You do not seem to "get" that.

You've posted, more than once about not bring able to buy food for yourself. Stop messing with the cats.

If you are going to catch, spay, turn over to the shelter or something at least get training so you know what you are doing.

You are hardly in a position to take on a new pet. But this will fall on deaf ears too.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post

Whether you are an animal lover or not, you need to understand that these cats are not your problem. You do not have the knowledge or means to save them. Contact an organization that can help them and let it go.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate

But many people have explained to you in the past ... You AREN'T doing the right thing.

Bringing the cats in, catch & release, putting out food, etc are no ways to handle strays. You do not seem to "get" that.

You've posted, more than once about not bring able to buy food for yourself. Stop messing with the cats.

If you are going to catch, spay, turn over to the shelter or something at least get training so you know what you are doing.

You are hardly in a position to take on a new pet. But this will fall on deaf ears too.
No, I posted ONCE about not having food because of a budget error! We have plenty of food right now.

Oh for gods sake, people are acting like I'm the devil or something because I tried to help out another living being. Maybe some of you need to learn about generosity.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: