Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #106
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

OK, I've been gone from my computer for a few days (houseguests inhabiting my office/den) but I am ready to go for 2013!!!

THE KIDS KNOW!!! THE KIDS KNOW!!! ... this makes planning so much easier.

I wrapped the box in silver paper and stuck a big red bow that I got at Christmas on top. We gave it to the kids this morning as part of a family meeting about the rest of the week and the New Year.

I think I got good reactions. If any of the kids "knew" or seriously suspected, they didn't pull a "told ya so." DD13 pointed out to DS7 that we would be there on his birthday and he was very excited about that (after verifying that he would still get some presents before or after the trip). They all asked if we were staying with grandparents or in a hotel. I love answering the same question four times because no one listens during the first round.

The Mickey Peeps were a big hit and are already gone. We'll do some pin trading later today when I round everyone back up. DH pulled up a picture of the Paradise Pier Hotel on the computer this afternoon and DS7 said "that is so beautiful." So it is 7-year-old approved. DH likes the decor -- he is a fan of the beachy look.

So now I can plan without hiding or giving evasive answers. Thank goodness. I think today deserves a six-pack of dancing bananas!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #107
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
OK, I've been gone from my computer for a few days (houseguests inhabiting my office/den) but I am ready to go for 2013!!!

THE KIDS KNOW!!! THE KIDS KNOW!!! ... this makes planning so much easier.

I wrapped the box in silver paper and stuck a big red bow that I got at Christmas on top. We gave it to the kids this morning as part of a family meeting about the rest of the week and the New Year.

I think I got good reactions. If any of the kids "knew" or seriously suspected, they didn't pull a "told ya so." DD13 pointed out to DS7 that we would be there on his birthday and he was very excited about that (after verifying that he would still get some presents before or after the trip). They all asked if we were staying with grandparents or in a hotel. I love answering the same question four times because no one listens during the first round.

The Mickey Peeps were a big hit and are already gone. We'll do some pin trading later today when I round everyone back up. DH pulled up a picture of the Paradise Pier Hotel on the computer this afternoon and DS7 said "that is so beautiful." So it is 7-year-old approved. DH likes the decor -- he is a fan of the beachy look.

So now I can plan without hiding or giving evasive answers. Thank goodness. I think today deserves a six-pack of dancing bananas!

PHXscuba
Yes, now you can plan out in the open and get feedback from the family, rather than having to be sneaky!

And now your trip seems like it is right around the corner, whereas at one point it seemed really far away! March will be here fast.

I was chuckling about the 7-year-old making sure he would get some presents before or after the trip! Gotta love kids - they know what's important! Presents!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #108
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

How fun the reveal had to have been. We have never done a reveal, I wish I had done that when our kids were little. But honestly? I am terrible at keeping secrets.

On a side note Sherry all I could find was the slow churn here too.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #109
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I bet they were super excited! Let the non-covert planning begin. It deserves a or two!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #110
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Yes, now you can plan out in the open and get feedback from the family, rather than having to be sneaky!

And now your trip seems like it is right around the corner, whereas at one point it seemed really far away! March will be here fast.

I was chuckling about the 7-year-old making sure he would get some presents before or after the trip! Gotta love kids - they know what's important! Presents!
Yes, 7-year-olds are all about self-interest and my DS has always been painfully honest. He was just telling his two friends, "I'm going to Disneyland for my birthday!" In his mind the trip is all about him. And we're down to 67 days already! I could make restaurant reservations in a week if I wanted! Probably not just yet, but I will make some in advance because six people are harder to do as a walk-in, especially if it's spring break season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
How fun the reveal had to have been. We have never done a reveal, I wish I had done that when our kids were little. But honestly? I am terrible at keeping secrets.

On a side note Sherry all I could find was the slow churn here too.
I am pretty good at keeping secrets but DH is awful. He almost spilled the beans once but I covered it. The older the kids get the harder it is to keep secrets -- they read over your shoulder at the computer, overhear (and interpret) conversations, you have to plan around their activities, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I bet they were super excited! Let the non-covert planning begin. It deserves a or two!
I didn't expect fireworks-level excitement -- they've been before and always knew we'd go back, probably "sometime next year" as I would be vague about it. But now they have a date to count down to and I can get some opinions on what they really want to do while we're there.

And I'm looking forward to reading your TR if you write one!

PHXscuba
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #111
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Our trip was fabulous for 3/4 of the family. I was hit with the worst head cold of recent memory the day we left for WDW. My perspective was a bit 'off'. I went through a lot of hand sanitizer.

I think I jinxed myself per-purchasing the Photopass Plus package. We were able to get about 180 pics. The best were the ride pictures that we could have put on the account/CD.

If I post any report it will be pretty short 'best-of' which is not my normal...we'll see. I appreciate that you would go read it
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #112
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

We surprised the kids for Christmas, and it is such a relief to not have to worry about spoiling it anymore. We're leaving on soon-to-be 6 year old dd's birthday, just by coincidence, that's when our week off of school starts. But, she honed in on that immediately and tells EVERYONE that she's going for her birthday. She hasn't asked about presents yet. But, ds has inquired about her birthday party!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #113
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
We surprised the kids for Christmas, and it is such a relief to not have to worry about spoiling it anymore. We're leaving on soon-to-be 6 year old dd's birthday, just by coincidence, that's when our week off of school starts. But, she honed in on that immediately and tells EVERYONE that she's going for her birthday. She hasn't asked about presents yet. But, ds has inquired about her birthday party!
I think it's great that her birthday is when you'll be at DL! Goofy's Kitchen would be a great place for a party
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #114
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
That's just like us!! I have to be careful not to make the birthday thing too big a deal, because we will never be able to go on DD10's birthday because it falls right in the middle of April's standardized testing. The older two have June birthdays, and I can definitely see DD13 scheming to go back for HER birthday!

PHXscuba
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #115
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

So Sherry E's comment a couple days ago about how fast my trip was coming up reminded me that park hours will hopefully be posted soon.

Or not.

I just checked the official Disneyland calendar and the hours and schedule is all the way pushed out to: (drumroll please): Feb. 14. At this rate it could be almost another month before my mid-March dates go up.

This is point where I rant a little, so tune out if you want: If Disneyland wants to be taken seriously as a vacation destination that attracts people from all over the United States and the world to plan multi-day stays and spend lots of $$$, it needs to give people information a little further than five or six weeks out!! I realize that the "make your plans six months advance" attitude at WDW makes people a little nuts, but I would like to think that even non-overplanners book a family vacation (that includes hotel, airfare, car, etc.) more than six weeks ahead. They've spent millions making over DCA, but I don't know what hours it will be open, or days that it will show World of Color, in the middle of February.

And this is the prime time people are sitting down and thinking, "Where should we go this year?" They saw the Carsland float in the Rose Parade, the cruise lines are pushing discounts right and left, and Disneyland can't get around to putting out hours or promotions until they take down the Christmas decorations next week!!

Rant over.

I promise the next update will be all puppies and kittens.

PHXscuba
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #116
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is point where I rant a little, so tune out if you want: If Disneyland wants to be taken seriously as a vacation destination that attracts people from all over the United States and the world to plan multi-day stays and spend lots of $$$, it needs to give people information a little further than five or six weeks out!! I realize that the "make your plans six months advance" attitude at WDW makes people a little nuts, but I would like to think that even non-overplanners book a family vacation (that includes hotel, airfare, car, etc.) more than six weeks ahead. They've spent millions making over DCA, but I don't know what hours it will be open, or days that it will show World of Color, in the middle of February.
I am so with you on that one!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #117
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I think it's great that her birthday is when you'll be at DL! Goofy's Kitchen would be a great place for a party
Original plan was to do GK on arrival day/her birthday. But, DH thought that the kids were rather another partial park day. So, we decided on 5 day tickets instead. Then after the reveal, dd sees chef Goofy delivering a birthday cake in the planning DVD and insists that we do that. So, I told her that we could do GK the day after her BD for breakfast. She seemed OK with that.

Quote:
That's just like us!! I have to be careful not to make the birthday thing too big a deal, because we will never be able to go on DD10's birthday because it falls right in the middle of April's standardized testing. The older two have June birthdays, and I can definitely see DD13 scheming to go back for HER birthday!

PHXscuba
I'm trying to not make a big deal out of it either, but when she tells people it comes out as "We're going to DISNEYLAND for my BIRTHDAY!" I keep mentioning that it's just a coincidence that they're school break starts on her birthday this year. It doesn't help that we were on a cruise for ds7's birthday last summer. We need to nip this trend in the bud before ds2 realizes what's going on. His mid-Nov birthday will never coincide with a school break!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #118
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

DS7 (the birthday boy for the trip) is all over this trip like white on rice. I was talking to him about Little League this spring and he said he didn't want to play. I asked why and he said he didn't think he could because he was going to Disneyland. I reassured him that the season didn't start until after we returned. He's already picking (from his massive Disney wardrobe) the shirt he wants to wear on his birthday there. This is why I waited until now to tell the kids ---> And me ---->

DS16 will actually go BACK to Disneyland a week after we come home. The Wind Ensemble he plays in is doing a festival trip to CA and they had to move it (away from testing) into the week after spring break. So he will get another day at Disneyland, over the weekend, a week before Easter! The good news is now I don't feel obligated to get him multiple rides on every rollercoaster because he will be able to do them with his buddies.

I wonder if he can use our Photopass Plus too? He'd probably love some of those ride pictures with his friends.

PHXscuba
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #119
cristyhas3
Mouseketeer

That would be awesome if he can use the Photopass+! I've never used it on any of my other visits and I'm really looking forward to actually being *in* some pictures this time.
Nora, 3

Heading to the Happiest Place on Earth in March!

My Blog: www.sewmuchlikemom.com
cristyhas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #120
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I wonder if he can use our Photopass Plus too? He'd probably love some of those ride pictures with his friends.

PHXscuba
At WDW I needed to go up to the desk were you would purchase the ride photo to add the ride picture to my PP+ card. If you are also in the park, you can go anytime that day to have it added. A couple of times the boys wrote down their number and I went later to have it added.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: